Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old chorus parabolic dish used as WiFi receiver/transmitter

• 13-07-2015 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

As I understand it this should be possible. I'm just wondering do I need to make any adjustment at the dish or can I simply plug the incoming cable into my wrt54gl router. Is there issue with signal loss dependent on cable length. There was a power block where the incoming cable from the dish screwed into. From this there also was a cable going to the chorus box. Is this needed for some sort of powering of the dish? If so I would need to connect the modem to the TV outlet of this power block I guess? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

The part of the MMDS dish that needs power, is a downconverter that changes the received frequencies to a lower band that can be tuned by a TV or STB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

As you describe it there is no need for a down converter when the dish is being used for WiFi. As such does the down converter need to be removed. The more I read on this the more it seems that the cable from the dish to the modem should be no more than a few feet long. If I plug in current cable from dish (which must be 20 metres long) I get no WiFi networks shown. Thanks

What exactly are you trying to pick up? (Not that you're going to get it with the downconverter in place, powered or unpowered.)

What kind of modem are you using?

Thought it might be fun to see if the dish could pick up neighbouring WiFi networks and what range it could extend to. At the moment the answer is zero range and zero networks

You probably missed my edit, but what's the modem you're plugging the coaxial cable from the dish into?

• Advertisement

Its a wrt54gl running ddwrt

Anyhow, the MMDS aerial is directional, so it wouldn't be picking up everything round-&-about anyway, only signals coming from the direction it's pointed.

I'm in a large housing estate with WiFi coming from every angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

You can use the antenna. You will need to remove the existing downconverter and coax cable - it's not suitable for wifi frequencies. From memory, you need 50-ohm cable for wifi frequencies. Also, the high frequencies used mean that you'll have huge losses over 20 meters - this length of cable may be too long. You will also need the appropriate connectors at either end of the connecting lead.

http://www.simplewifi.com/parabolicgrid.html#14369109798473&{"close":true}

I figured from Thurston's post that the down converter had to come out. Thanks for confirming my worst suspicions about the cabling. Not worth the effort. Will put up a tplink ant2414a instead. It may cost a few pence but I suspect in the end will be less head wrecking. Thanks all for the insightful comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement