Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to college or stay at work

Options
  • 13-07-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm having a bit of a dilemma atm.

I've got an IT degree, Working as a sys admin for the next 4 months, pays not great, I don't particularly like it, but hey at the end of the day a job is a job I guess!

The alternative I'm thinking of is a Masters degree in global financial Info Systems, I've done a alot of research about it and it all sounds pretty interesting and the benefits of it being I hope it leads to bigger and better things upon completion.

The dilemma I'm having is I'd have to cut my work contract short by 2 months so I'm not really sure what would be best staying in the job until completion of the contract or cutting it short and starting the masters September.

Views appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

What exact Degree do you have now? What Programming languages did it cover and what languages do you have experience in?

What languages will the Masters add or what will you get out of the masters apart from a Qualification that employers will want.

Also what job are you hoping to get at the end of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

What exact Degree do you have now? What Programming languages did it cover and what languages do you have experience in?

What languages will the Masters add or what will you get out of the masters apart from a Qualification that employers will want.

Also what job are you hoping to get at the end of the day?
    Honours in IT, covered mostly Java/SQL/web design languages like Javascript/php but it was fairly broad we didn't really do any in great depth.

The course seems to be a combination of computer/business related modules, what stands out for me personally is the sql/data analytic side of things I think it's an area I'd like to get into.

mr.noobie wrote: »
    Honours in IT, covered mostly Java/SQL/web design languages like Javascript/php but it was fairly broad we didn't really do any in great depth.

The course seems to be a combination of computer/business related modules, what stands out for me personally is the sql/data analytic side of things I think it's an area I'd like to get into.

If you can see a clear path to a job go for it but as you said there about the Degree that it doesn't go in depth enough with any particular language i would say go for something else.

One thing for sure is get a Portfolio together. Don't arse about for a year and have nothing to show an employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The fact that it is only a 4 month contract would lead me to sway towards giving it up and starting the masters.

If it was 6 months to a year, I would say stay at it for the sake of your CV, but not for 4 months at the expense of missing the masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

That course is on Springboard: http://www.springboardcourses.ie/details/3888

Quit your job now, wait out the 9 week grace period, sign on and the govt will finance your masters.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The fact that it is only a 4 month contract would lead me to sway towards giving it up and starting the masters.

If it was 6 months to a year, I would say stay at it for the sake of your CV, but not for 4 months at the expense of missing the masters.

To clarify, it was a 9 month contract, there's 4 left and I've already been told its not getting extended.
    eeguy wrote: »

Quit your job now, wait out the 9 week grace period, sign on and the govt will finance your masters.

Hmmmm that's very interesting:pac:

Does that mean that someone can graduate 4th year and start the Masters straight away without a year out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Does that mean that someone can graduate 4th year and start the Masters straight away without a year out?

I actually didn't think about that.

The OP never said they were just out of college, only that he has a degree.

I signed on once and they never asked whether I was out of college.

I know people who signed on the day after the exams, if they hadn't secured a job beforehand.

I've been out a year anyway, think I'll be leaving soon so, paid fees are a little too hard to resist to be honest

I actually didn't think about that.

The OP never said they were just out of college, only that he has a degree.

I signed on once and they never asked whether I was out of college.

I know people who signed on the day after the exams, if they hadn't secured a job beforehand.

"To participate in a NFQ Level 9 (Post Graduate) course, a period of at least one year must have elapsed since completing a full time undergraduate degree course leading to a major award at level 8 on the NFQ."

• Advertisement
Advertisement