Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging newbie advice

Options
  • 13-07-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all, after losing some weight through diet I am not starting to run (or jog) :D again. I am a 25 year old male. I am about 14 and a half stone (down from 15 and a half) in five weeks. I have struggled with injuries but have found a new pair of kayanos very nice to jog in. Got back on the horse tonight. I did 3km in 17 mins. My PB was 13 mins about 4 years ago. While the time tonight was pathetic lol I am happy I was able to run without pain in my feet again (collapsed arch).

Has anybody got any advice on how to start improving my times again. I aint running no marathons any time soon but just want to get back to a sub 14 minute 3 km.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stop racing yourself in training. You shouldn't really be timing yourself at all. You've got to learn to run before you can learn to race. Follow a program like coach to 5k. Spend lots of time running on softer surfaces like grass and trail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stop calling it jogging and start calling it running.
    Don't worry about the sub 14 minute 3km right now, run and get fit first, if you've done a sub 14 3k before it'll come back naturally once you get fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Run slow and easy. Preferrably quietly. Get your body used to it.

It takes 100 days for tendons and ligaments to change.

Run three times at each distance, or increase in pace, before going longer or quicker.

+1 on both previous comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I was walking on a country road yesterday evening and seen this runner 'busting a gut' right past with his iPod in his ears.

Then I seen a car trying to go past without clipping him with the car and I thought to myself what an ejjit the runner was, unaware if anything was behind him because he had his earphones in his ears.

My advice is don't wear earphones whilst running. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you're running (or walking) on the road, you should be facing oncoming traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're running (or walking) on the road, you should be facing oncoming traffic

The road I'm on about would be 1 car width to 1.5 car width at best.

Advertisement