Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a builder in Waterford

Options
  • 13-07-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi there,

Looking for a builder in Waterford City to knock through kitchen and dining room and make space for an almost full wall of windows and doors in a four bed 1970s semi.

Am from the area so know lots of names on vans to see but have no idea who is any good or not and who won't rip us off as we are clueless when it comes to construction and pricing :D

Would be very grateful if you would PM me some recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Any luck with this? Looking to do some renovation work here in the City and no idea where to start?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 threerivers

Any luck with this? Looking to do some renovation work here in the City and no idea where to start?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat myself. I'm looking to build a small extension onto the house as well. I know there was a thread on this a few years ago so if anyone could give an update it would be greatly appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

Hi there,

Looking for a builder in Waterford City to knock through kitchen and dining room and make space for an almost full wall of windows and doors in a four bed 1970s semi.

Am from the area so know lots of names on vans to see but have no idea who is any good or not and who won't rip us off as we are clueless when it comes to construction and pricing :D

Would be very grateful if you would PM me some recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

It isn't as simple as just picking the best builder for the client. Jobs are priced on how many days a builder thinks he can do it in, and also adds in some more for hold ups. Now, you as a client, has to pick between the more expensive builder to the cheapest. What I've found what usually happens in Ireland is a large percentage of the time, they always go for the cheapest and this is where the problem arrises. IMO, find d yourself a good builder with a good reputation, if he's more than other, pay it because he'll be worth it. I know of numerous occasions where the jobs like yours have been priced right, builder hits a few issues that slows him down by no fault of his own. Asks the client for more money to cover wages and client thinks he's a con man trying to rob him! Old houses can throw up all sorts of more work once builders get stuck in. You should prepare for this!

Advertisement