Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three network 2100mHz signal booster?

Options
  • 13-07-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi folks, we are moving house and the mobile reception in my home office is one-bar or nothing! I'm locked into three for now and I believe they operate on 2100mHz, along with all 3G signals. Has anybody got some experience with Mobile Phone Signal Boosters - do they work? Specifically does a €99 eBay one work? Do I have to install a cable on the roof or just leave a receiver somewhere in the house where the signal is good? Then, could I run the signal down to the basement through a cat 6 cable (as I have these wired throughout the house)? Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

If you move house and they cannot provide you with the service you're paying for then you have a right to cancel the contract.

I'm not a lawyer but look into this as I'm sure it's the case (you'll probably have to prove the service doesn't work in your new house).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I'm not convinced that this is entirely true op.

I understand that breaking the contract is the moral thing for the operator to do, but mobile operators are not entirely moral (especially three). If you go onto the 3 talk-to site you will see other examples where people have moved house to a lower coverage area and they (initially) insist that they agree to provide a service for the duration of the contract to the provided address.

However not all is lost.

If you are within 3 months of the end of contract they won't quibble and will end early.

Otherwise, cause a bit a grief with three and cc everything with comreg.

When three state no, make a formal complaint to comreg. Then and only then I expect three will concede.

I know this appears laborious but from my experience this is your likely course of action.

(Of course you might be lucky and they will do the moral thing)

Oh, one last bit - only deal with the 3 chaps on boards. Time after time I have found them far more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

ads20101 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that this is entirely true op.

I'm actually not trying to get out of contract, i'm looking for advise on a signal booster!

Sorry - just following on from wba88

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boosters.

Are.

Illegal.

Seriously, how many times does it have to get posted. ONLY the operators can operate on licensed spectrum, the only one that chose to offer a femtocell was Vodafone with the SureSignal(which theyve stopped last Ive heard).

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Ed.

I searched 'signal booster' and saw a post from 2010 that mentioned legality. It's entirely feasible that the situation has changed since then. I have asked Three if they provide a booster <http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057461420> they didn't answer that question, but are 'looking into the problem'.

Here's something for you to consider, to help with your copywriting skills:
    <https://www.vodori.com/blog/why-excessive-use-of-periods-dilutes-your-tagline/>

Service.

Loyalty.

Honesty.

Integrity.

(United Services Automobile Association)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

ED E wrote: »
    Boosters.

Are.

Illegal.

Seriously, how many times does it have to get posted. ONLY the operators can operate on licensed spectrum, the only one that chose to offer a femtocell was Vodafone with the SureSignal(which theyve stopped last Ive heard).

I asked vodafone about improving signal recently & they tried to offer me the signal booster as a solution so they haven't stopped it, unless vodafone customer care haven't been informed. She did say that it did not require fixed line broadband which is not what their own advertising claims though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 voobee

Hi folks, we are moving house and the mobile reception in my home office is one-bar or nothing! I'm locked into three for now and I believe they operate on 2100mHz, along with all 3G signals. Has anybody got some experience with Mobile Phone Signal Boosters - do they work? Specifically does a €99 eBay one work? Do I have to install a cable on the roof or just leave a receiver somewhere in the house where the signal is good? Then, could I run the signal down to the basement through a cat 6 cable (as I have these wired throughout the house)? Thanks for your advice.

Dear Kildafornia
    You need to buy a 2100mhz 3g signal booster (as a set so +2 antennas - external yagi and internal panel (panel in most cases))
    Just go to comreg website and check the location of the nearest mast of three and point the external antenna in that direction (the higher is the antenna on the mast the better) Remember not to use more cable that you need.. Install the internal-panel antenna somewhere in the middle of the house (possibly away from the bedrooms) Best location for the device (the amplifier) is your attic - Remember that the external antenna will interfere with the internal antenna if they are too close to each other.. Its good to have the roof and the attic between them... I don't think it would work if you put a booster close to your window without 2 oppositely pointed antennas..
    If you are close to a mast with LTE signal of your 3 operator, consider buying 1800/2100mhz dual band booster.. - I wouldn't go with the cheapest ones as they can work not as they should and what worse can annoy the operator...
    The cables on both sides are similar to coaxial cable - so your cat5/6 doesn't apply here.. This is about radio wave transmission, not data...
    I hope it will help you a bit

Thanks voobee, that is just the info I need

• Registered Users Posts: 3 voobee

you're welcome. Let me know if you need some further advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 D.O.C

Hi Voobee

What would you recommend for a 4G voice and data booster for 3 Ireland

regards

If comreg come a knockin....
    Under the current regulatory package, serious breaches of the regulatory framework only
    attract a fine of €3,000 after summary conviction. There are no indictable offences as the
    regulatory framework was transposed pursuant to section 3 of the European Communities Act
    1972 which prohibits the introduction of indictable offences. The Bill provides for increased
    penalties and more efficient prosecuting procedures for ComReg.
    At present there is no provision for summary offences for failure to do or not do an action
    prescribed by ComReg in a direction. The Bill proposes to rectify this position which will
    provide ComReg with an additional enforcement tool. The Bill also introduces a number of
    new summary offences and proposes also to increase the fine payable in respect of a
    summary offence from €3,000 to €5,000.

Well, comreg actually come a knockin, it will be the first time I'll have seen them do anything.

As the regulator, they do bugger all IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ads20101 wrote: »
    Well, comreg actually come a knockin, it will be the first time I'll have seen them do anything.

As the regulator, they do bugger all IMHO
    I had big problems with my eircom ADSL broadband which I traced myself to some kind of localized interference. I just didn't know where it was coming from. Comreg came a total of 3 times with a van loaded with detection equipment and finally located the problem with a taxi driver down the road with some kind of illegal transmitter. He got done, and rightly so, and no problems with my broadband after that.

So yes, they do react to complaints from the public in these kinds of cases.

The networks all have their own monitoring teams that investigate RFI issues, if they find you there's a strong chance that it will be passed on.

ok thanks for the info, don't think ill be going with the life of crime, the wife would kill me.

Ok so how do I harness the 21mb 4g signal I get in the attic and pump it into my sitting room and kitchen, is there some kind of legal cel modem thingy that I can hook up to a router or something like that?

Alun wrote: »
    I had big problems with my eircom ADSL broadband which I traced myself to some kind of localized interference. I just didn't know where it was coming from. Comreg came a total of 3 times with a van loaded with detection equipment and finally located the problem with a taxi driver down the road with some kind of illegal transmitter. He got done, and rightly so, and no problems with my broadband after that.

So yes, they do react to complaints from the public in these kinds of cases.

I just want to expand on my earlier comment, especially after the replies.

I also know that I am making the cardinal sin of going off topic, so please mods, have mercy on me.

It is good to hear that comreg are looking after interference issues. However, my main issue is a personal one. In my village, there is a dsl exchange that only has 16Mb/s going into it via a microwave link. There is ADSL2 equipment installed but the houses are being kept at 2 - 3 Mb/s.

The problem is that the exchange is connected to 650 telephone numbers of which we know there are 80 DSL subscribers. With this amount of subscribers the internet not only slows down (to about 0.2Mb/s dl), but often stops at peak times. I only live 70 meters from the exchange. Eir / sky / vodafone et al continue to accept new subscribers despite admitting that there is a serious congestion problem.

To cut a long story short, I (and others) have contacted comreg to look into this. They have stated that they cannot interfere here, that they have no power to influence eir or any others to provide a stable internet link, despite people paying for it. They state that they can only force the exchange to provide a stable phone (voice) connection. Essentially, they washed their hands of the problem. Providing an internet connection is something that appears outside of their remit and they are the regulator.

Popping back onto topic for a moment. Thank god for my 4G Three connection. As long as I am in one part of my house I can always get a good connection from them, even at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If comreg come a knockin....

Calm down there if ComReg come knocking they'll be polite and ask you to turn it off first and give you a letter. Fine and court is a last resort if you refuse to turn it off.

D.O.C wrote: »
    Ok so how do I harness the 21mb 4g signal I get in the attic and pump it into my sitting room and kitchen, is there some kind of legal cel modem thingy that I can hook up to a router or something like that?

If thats all you need its easy.

4G router in the attic, ethernet cable down to the middle of the house, wifi access point there.

If thats all you need its easy.

4G router in the attic, ethernet cable down to the middle of the house, wifi access point there.

Thanks

Do I need to get a sim for the 4G router?

Can you recommend a good one or somewhere I can get the said kit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement