Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my cat is high on catnip!

• 14-07-2015 12:35am

My kitten Amelia loves catnip! I put some into the catnip cap and she was loving it, but when I wasn't looking she grabbed the tub, cap off, and spilled it all over the floor. She rolled around in it and then started doing parkour, knocked over my nice things, pulled down shelves and bit me a lot. She gets all aggro when she first gets catnip. But she started to go at my budgies and she normally says ok, I'm not allowed, but she was really nipped up and wouldn't leave them alone so I put her out the window.

Are cats ok to go outside even when they're totally nipped up? She did come back nice and safe but I do worry.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Would you send your friend stoned out of his head to walk home over roads etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Next time just shut her in the bathroom with the toilet seat down!

It wears off quite fast, 10 or 15 mins at the most (from my experience at least) and keep the lid on tight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Our cat doesn't like catnip much but she has a little pillow we bought that has valerian root in it and oh my god she goes mad for it! Anyone elses' like that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Our cat doesn't like catnip much but she has a little pillow we bought that has valerian root in it and oh my god she goes mad for it! Anyone elses' like that?
    Yes but our cats go wild for both to be honest; I remember reading somewhere that catnip is about a 50/50 chance to affect a cat. My parents in law has catnip growing in their garden and their big tom cat likes to go sleep in it in the summer time :P

^^ That is true, it doesn't affect all of them. My mother has two cats, one of them eats it, but doesn't actually have any affect from it, the other is completely unaffected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

I read that inhaling it makes them high, but eating it has a subduing effect.
    Both my cats love it, and would take the hand off you to get at the container.
    Miine have spilt tubs of it and rolled around in it too. Dealz have (mostly in stock) a fabric mouse that you fill a few times with a tube of catnip that comes with it. Drives 'em wild! I limit it to once a week. Might grow some in the garden for the cat enclosure I'm planning. If one of my cats is out i can't relax, i'm watching him/ her. When i see how mental my kits go with 'the nip' I wouldn't let them out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

One of ours loves it but she doesnt get aggressive, she gets slinky and flirty.

The other likes to smell it but she doesnt seem to get high from it at all.

Nody wrote: »
    Would you send your friend stoned out of his head to walk home over roads etc.?

Indeed, that was my concern, and you're right. I wont let her out the window next time she gets high!

vagazzled wrote: »
    I read that inhaling it makes them high, but eating it has a subduing effect.
    Both my cats love it, and would take the hand off you to get at the container.
    Miine have spilt tubs of it and rolled around in it too. Dealz have (mostly in stock) a fabric mouse that you fill a few times with a tube of catnip that comes with it. Drives 'em wild! I limit it to once a week. Might grow some in the garden for the cat enclosure I'm planning. If one of my cats is out i can't relax, i'm watching him/ her. When i see how mental my kits go with 'the nip' I wouldn't let them out either.

Does it grow in Irish climates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It grows great here, my friend has a huge bush of it, all the neighbourhood cats roll in it. I bought home a few sprigs of it but mine were a bit interested, not mad like they are for the dry stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I tried mine with it recently and she was quite mellow after it. Just chilled out on the floor. I half expected her to start calling me 'Man"! My neighbour's cat went loopy after it. He's a nervy cat at the best of times, but after getting a sniff of catnip, he was like a cat who'd just been given a case of Red Bull. Completely giddy. It was amazing to see how it affected the two of them in completely different ways.

Advertisement