Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire and other things

Options
  • 14-07-2015 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

ill be over in NZ next week for a week and hiring a car for five days. We are thinking of a Toyota Corolla and wonder if we need to get snow chains - the website mentions it if we are going up mount rapau. We are going to be staying two nights near it in whakapapa village (not sure of name and spelling) in the chateau. Is a corolla okay for the roads?

Questions - do we need snow chains? What is the weather like in that area will it be very cold what type of clothes? I know there is a ski slop near there would it be possible to do a lesson and can you just hire the gear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the whole of state highway 1 which runs through that part of the ranges was closed last week due to the weather and I imagine a lot of the other local roads were too.
    There is a remote possibility that the road(s) around there may be closed if the weather stays as cold but it is due to clear over the next week.

Officially the road from the chateau onwards can be open/ open for 4wd or chains/ open for 4wd with chains or closed. Last time I was there is was warm and sunny down by lake Taupo but the road was 4wd only. With the height it is entirely local weather dependent.

All that said you should be OK to get to the village without chains 99.9% of the time.

Check here http://www.mtruapehu.com/winter/whakapapa-report/ for details of the road, if it says open you'll be grand.

Advertisement