Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this little tree?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

This little tree sprouted on a bank in my back garden. Just noticed it last week. Can anyone tell me what it is ? I transplanted it last night and planted it on my lawn, however I'd love to know what it is. Any info much appreciated. The leaves are small and approximately the size of a euro coin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Leaf looks very similar to Lauri's nobilis( bay) . looks to doing ok, not thriving but ok. Crush a leaf and see it gives a bay scent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

TAZ32 wrote: »
    Crush a leaf and see it gives a bay scent

+1 to check it this way, I always though of bay leaves looking a bit shinier, though there could be many varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

smacl wrote: »
    +1 to check it this way, I always though of bay leaves looking a bit shinier, though there could be many varieties.

Will check it this evening. The leaves look very small to be bay leaves, but as you say there could be many varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Doesn't look like a bay leaf to me - not glossy enough. Could just be a willow. Either way you'll need to keep it very well watered as this wouldnt be the ideal time to move any tree/sapling. Come autumn if it loses it's leaves then it'll narrow the options re what it is.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Doesn't look like a bay leaf to me - not glossy enough. Could just be a willow. Either way you'll need to keep it very well watered as this wouldnt be the ideal time to move any tree/sapling. Come autumn if it loses it's leaves then it'll narrow the options re what it is.

Thanks for that. No problem with watering here in Cork today. Pouring out of the heavens! Forecast for the rest of the week doesn't look much better :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Salix. Tear it out. Let the roots dry out before dumping.
    They're not a nice tree and when it gets established, it's very hard to get rid of.

Salix. Tear it out. Let the roots dry out before dumping.
    They're not a nice tree and when it gets established, it's very hard to get rid of.

Oh right! Thanks a million for the tip.

Advertisement