Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vista upgrade

• 14-07-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Parents PC had vista on it, so upgrade to 7 or jump to 10 ? End of life is Nov 2017 so bit of time left.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you upgrade to 7 you will be able to upgrade to 10 for free. I don't know if any pricing has been announced regarding changing from any pre Windows 7 OS to 10 yet to enable you to compare the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd take any option possible to get away from Vista to be honest. 10 runs lighter on my laptop than 7 does, but 7 is also a solid OS. 8.1 is also an excellent OS. Its really a matter of preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

upgrade them to win7 if they not great with change in tech, going to win8 might be a bit much for them. When win10 is available upgrade to that and see how they got on, will be a bit easier to manage than win8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

upgrade them to win7 if they not great with change in tech, going to win8 might be a bit much for them. When win10 is available upgrade to that and see how they got on, will be a bit easier to manage than win8

Windows 8.1 with the Classic Shell Start menu is the best OS that Windows have done so far in my book. Lovely to use, secure and snappy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Windows 8.1 with the Classic Shell Start menu is the best OS that Windows have done so far in my book. Lovely to use, secure and snappy.

Fully agree with you, 8.1 really is the best one that they've put out, the fact that people will spend hours complaining about it online, but won't take the ten minutes to customise it into something that works boggles my mind.

HOWEVER, in this case, because parents are involved, I'd recommend either 7 or 10, not 8. It's just that in 8.1, even with start 8, you can click on the wrong thing and be thrown into a UI that is totally unfamiliar. I know how to get back to the desktop in a second, but good luck teaching any shortcuts to parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

PropJoe10 wrote: »

i have a windows 8 laptop and i customized it but i still think its all just a bit gimmicky, that's all and i know for a fact my parents wont like it as there too use to win 7, my dad would probably throw laptop out window haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH if the PC came with Vista I'd be backing it up and checking how old the hard drive is and locating the recovery disk if there is one.

Remember if you upgrade an OEM version of windows the license is then bound to the original hardware which has to be getting long in the tooth if it's Vista.

Keep an eye out for bargain laptops on the bargain alerts forum over the next year or so, especially if they are still selling off old stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the original hardware which has to be getting long in the tooth if it's Vista.

Keep an eye out for bargain laptops

Chances are the original hardware is just fine and perfectly able to run W7 / W8.1 / W10. Why spend many hundreds to get a replacement?

My own main PC is about the same age (7.5 years old) and working very well (running W10). OP, if you install W10 from the last ISO and let it update itself, your parents will have a completely free operating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

unkel wrote: »
    Chances are the original hardware is just fine and perfectly able to run W7 / W8.1 / W10. Why spend many hundreds to get a replacement?

My own main PC is about the same age (7.5 years old) and working very well (running W10). OP, if you install W10 from the last ISO and let it update itself, your parents will have a completely free operating system.

Not free upgrading from Vista though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote: »

Many hundreds ?
    I'd be thinking about three at the very very most. After all this isn't about buying a cheap laptop this weekend as there's plenty of time to wait for a bargain.

By the time you've bought the upgrade and a new hard drive you may still be stuck with a 32 bit CPU and 1.5GB of RAM.

It's a consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

FSL wrote: »
    If you upgrade to 7 you will be able to upgrade to 10 for free. I don't know if any pricing has been announced regarding changing from any pre Windows 7 OS to 10 yet to enable you to compare the costs.
    You might not be able to upgrade to 10. I got this message, but when I ran the checker it told me it was not compatible with my laptop.:(

Advertisement