Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay launches in the UK

• 14-07-2015 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭

Ulster bank are a partner.

Can someone who's got an Irish Ulster Bank account change their region settings to the U.K. open up Passbook/Wallet and see if they can add their card?

Might move banks if you can add it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The banks here will of course drag their feet on this, like everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The banks here will of course drag their feet on this, like everything.
    If we don't kick up a fuss about it then they definitely will. but this isn't the point of the thread, I'd like to find out if Irish issued Ulster Bank cards will get verified and thus giving me a reason to switch banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If we don't kick up a fuss about it then they definitely will. but this isn't the point of the thread, I'd like to find out if Irish issued Ulster Bank cards will get verified and thus giving me a reason to switch banks

I find it an amazing reason to switch banks to be honest.

Also, I don't think it's that simple as I think the Irish terminals would have to be updated to accept the payments.

AFAIK, even if you did activate it here, the terminals would only recognise it as a contactless credit/debit card and you'd be limited to €15 per transaction or €30 later this year.

There was some rumour of both AIB and Bank of Ireland being in talks with Apple, but that could be utter nonsense too.

The physical terminal technology is in place in a lot of retailers in Ireland already, all it requires is some tweaks to software.

I have no ties to my bank, they're as expendable as my 30day rolling cellular contract in fact even more so.

the terminals don't need to be updated (obviously some will but there's a good chance they "just work") - https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204274, people from the States have successfully been able to use Apple Pay of here so

My point of sale terminal is already NFC/contactless payment-capable. Can I accept Apple Pay right away?
    If you accept contactless payment today, you're likely able to accept Apple Pay without any changes. If you’re not already accepting contactless payments, contact your payment provider to verify that your point of sale setup can accept Apple Pay, and then ask them to enable it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have no ties to my bank, they're as expendable as my 30day rolling cellular contract in fact even more so.

the terminals don't need to be updated (obviously some will but there's a good chance they "just work") - https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204274, people from the States have successfully been able to use Apple Pay of here so

You may have ties to your bank in terms of what charges you pay and then all your direct debits, salaries etc.

Changing bank is not as easy as you think.

Either way I do not think it will be so straight forward to use Apple Pay with a UK card here as I would imagine there would be some technical hitch preventing it.

I don't have direct debits, salary is easy to change as the company i work for are easy to ask these things.

Anyways I got my answer via Twitter it's NI only for Ulster Bank at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I just tried to add my card. It says "This issuer does not yet support Apple Pay". Doesn't surprise me as I wasn't expecting it to work. Ulster Bank in the ROI doesn't even issue contactless cards yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm with Ulster, they'll also allow you to open an account in their Newry branch by post FOC. I find them to be a fantastic bank.

I have a NI card as well as my standard IE one, I changed the settings & restarted my phone & I now have access to add a credit or debit card to my account, but I don't have it with me. Planning on adding it later, will report back when I do.

Zhane wrote: »
    I just tried to add my card. It says "This issuer does not yet support Apple Pay". Doesn't surprise me as I wasn't expecting it to work. Ulster Bank in the ROI doesn't even issue contactless cards yet.
    They do, my girlfriend has one, albeit on her credit card for some reason. Couldn't try it with her card as she's away on business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I would suggest that you all contact your banks and hassle them to support Apple Pay.

They do, my girlfriend has one, albeit on her credit card for some reason. Couldn't try it with her card as she's away on business.

I suppose thats progress. I made complaint to them last month about lack of information I was getting in regards to a timeline on when the Visa Debits will be contactless. I was told by the years end,but no firm date yet. I'll believe it when I see it. Im not holding out much hope we will see Apple Pay here anytime soon.

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    I would suggest that you all contact your banks and hassle them to support Apple Pay.

Won't do any good. I know someone very high up in marketing in one of them & she can't get them to do some stuff that would be great for banking.

They prefer the older ways here.

Terminals don't need to be updated in terms of firmware but they do need to be updated to process the transactions as something other than just a random contactless card as otherwise you're limited to €15 or €30 and it will block the card after 3 uses until used with chip and pin

OU812 wrote: »
    Won't do any good. I know someone very high up in marketing in one of them & she can't get them to do some stuff that would be great for banking.

All it takes is one of them to get on board. The banking market in Ireland is so small, we have 5 major banks? I reckon, if any banks will get behind it it would KBC and Ulster. The biggest hold out will be BOI.

Not really. AIB has launched a lot of tech.

The Irish backs prefer gouging ways though. They charge very large fees, incentivise people to use cash and then blame "culture" for low card usage.

Small Retailers here also notice card fees and impose tons of restrictions, forgetting that banks charge to bank cash too. They've also clearly in need of shopping around for better deals.

Zhane wrote: »
    All it takes is one of them to get on board. The banking market in Ireland is so small, we have 5 major banks? I reckon, if any banks will get behind it it would KBC and Ulster. The biggest hold out will be BOI.

If you look at US banking where your banking app can scan a cheque & it's deposited in your account immediately, or you can walk into any branch (with the correct ID & walk out with an account open & a debit card in your hand (produced in branch), or UK banking where you can make manual deposits to your mortgage account to be taken off your principle or see pending transactions on your debit card in a live scenario (don't have to wait for it to resolve). There's absolutely zero impetus for them to improve the service they give here if it's going to cost them.

Frankly I'm surprised we have visa debit or contactless.

If you look at US banking where your banking app can scan a cheque & it's deposited in your account immediately, or you can walk into any branch (with the correct ID & walk out with an account open & a debit card in your hand (produced in branch), or UK banking where you can make manual deposits to your mortgage account to be taken off your principle or see pending transactions on your debit card in a live scenario (don't have to wait for it to resolve). There's absolutely zero impetus for them to improve the service they give here if it's going to cost them.

Frankly I'm surprised we have visa debit or contactless.

I can see my debit card transactions (pending) live here in Ireland already.

Cheques are being phased out here by 2017. They'll be investing nothing in encouraging their use.

AIB has me2u which lets you pay to anyone with their phone number using an app. They've also pushed mobile debit card devices for small retailers to take cards in recent months.

I find Bank of Ireland the worst in terms of technology. Their online banking is really awful and so hugely restrictive.

We'd to make a payment for a car recently and BOI couldn't process it on Internet banking and did it in branch with paper !!
    Wouldn't have been any problem on AIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ulster Bank don't even have contactless on their existing debit cards here.

Can't on UB
    Cheques are being phased out here by 2017. They'll be investing nothing in encouraging their use.
    There's actually been some pushback on this by schools & churches who have no way of processing non cash payments. That phase out may be quite a bit longer away.
    AIB has me2u which lets you pay to anyone with their phone number using an app. They've also pushed mobile debit card devices for small retailers to take cards in recent months.
    This is possible with UB also but doesn't always work
    I find Bank of Ireland the worst in terms of technology. Their online banking is really awful and so hugely restrictive.
    I'd agree with that
    We'd to make a payment for a car recently and BOI couldn't process it on Internet banking and did it in branch with paper !!
    There's no reason all financial transactions can't be electronic apart from lack of will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Can someone please confirm that the ulster bank debit card won't work in the Republic of Ireland?

nokia211 wrote: »
    Can someone please confirm that the ulster bank debit card won't work in the Republic of Ireland?

They don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

As a northerner looking to give this a go I was pretty disappointed to find out my bank won't support it until autumn...and it's not worth switching for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My visa debit card snapped this week so I'm waiting for another card. Apple pay would have come in very handy this week.

Ok, just tried my NI UB card & it says it's not supported. The card isn't contact less, don't know if that makes any difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

AIB and BOI reps are active on the Talk to sections on boards. Worth asking there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ulster Bank have the nicest iOS banking app I've seen (even has TouchId).

It's probably the UK Natwest wrapped as Ulster Bank.

As others have said ... No contactless on Visa Debit

Doubt Apple Pay would work without the implemented on their cards first.

Looking forward to dumping the wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

And with AIB at least you can make manual deposits to your mortgage account and they will be taken off the principle and the repayments adjusted.
    I'd be confident enough they will support Apple Pay once Apple gets around to launching it here, but Ireland won't be a priority to get going for Apple.

you'd be surprised, yes we haven't had love with the watch etc. but rolling out apple pay to europe should be reasonably straight forward. The States is done, China is the next big difficult one, europe were pretty much low hanging fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Ulster Bank have the nicest iOS banking app I've seen (even has TouchId).

It's probably the UK Natwest wrapped as Ulster Bank.

As others have said ... No contactless on Visa Debit

Doubt Apple Pay would work without the implemented on their cards first.

Looking forward to dumping the wallet.

UB's mobile app is surprisingly slick, considering they're 5 years behind the other banks in every other respect.

Advertisement