Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay launches in the UK

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

loyatemu wrote: »
    UB's mobile app is surprisingly slick, considering they're 5 years behind the other banks in every other respect.

After that computer systems glitch a few years ago I stopped using my account with them.

Never found them very high tech. I'd say it's purely a case of just having their parent company's app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

KBC also have a slick app in fairness. TouchID as well.

Wish PTSB had the same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

AIB's isn't too bad, but touch ID would be a nice addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

SpaceTime wrote: »
    AIB's isn't too bad, but touch ID would be a nice addition.

It's a mobile site wrapped in an App .. not a native app.

They do say that it will be updated soon though.

Native apps, while more expensive to develop, are always much slicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

The Irish App Store is showing an ad for apple pay saying 'buy with apple pay'. Tapping on the tile doesn't load the page, it just shows me a blank page. I'm guessing this is a mistake. Anyone else seeing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

dave oc wrote: »
    The Irish App Store is showing an ad for apple pay saying 'buy with apple pay'. Tapping on the tile doesn't load the page, it just shows me a blank page. I'm guessing this is a mistake. Anyone else seeing it?

I clicked it and got a message telling me it wasn't available in the Republic of Ireland. They probably just release apps and music in Ireland the the UK together normally so they put that on the App Store homepage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm really looking forward to the future with this technology. Hopefully phone-based payments become the de-facto standard for everything. And FYI the current Apple Pay rollout will only allow transactions up to a maximum of £20. Anything over that and you've to pull out your card. It's unfortunate but that's with the current hardware you see in most shops - there is a newer standard for transactionless exchange that allows any amount but retailers will need new hardware first. Might take a few years for it to become commonplace.

And while we're on it - receipts. Why on earth are we still using paper receipts for everything, my trouser pockets are full of receipts I don't need every week. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to attach electronic receipts to each NFC transaction to save us all that hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Elessar wrote: »

And while we're on it - receipts. Why on earth are we still using paper receipts for everything, my trouser pockets are full of receipts I don't need every week. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to attach electronic receipts to each NFC transaction to save us all that hassle!

This. One of the great things about buying in an Apple Store is the fact your receipt is emailed to you instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

American Apparel send email receipts too, but you have to spell out your email as opposed to Apple going is this your email based on credit card matching via iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I have Apple Pay set up on my phone because I have a UK card - can I use it over here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement