Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hopefully West Brom can't open his paperwork before the deadline.

Enrique trying to hide it so he can fight for his place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augeo wrote: »
    Sharp end of the CL?
    You can't compare a team aspiring to qualify for the comp to teams that contest it in the final stages, well you can, from a p1ssing & moaning viewpoint.

You can look at how the best squads in the club game are geared and understand that's what is required to challenge on multiple fronts while accepting the players you could fill that distribution model with would be of a lower average quality.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not sure if you agreed at the time, but after signing Clyne, Milner, Ings, Benteke, Firmino and Gomez, most people here felt the squad looked pretty good for depth. And that was most certainly without counting Balo, Borini or Enrique.

I do think we are light at FB, only really have 3 to choose from, but we may play a back 3 sometimes with Ibe as a wing back. But a late signing for RB cover wouldn't go amiss.

I understand most people said that, but I'm not seeing it as I lay out the depth chart to close out the window. How have most people reached that conclusion? That's the question I'm asking.

LB is a problem anyway. Moreno was meant to be our starter but has been really poor. Gomez will do a job but will be found out at times.

Maybe we should bring back Doni. Thats covering CM/LB/RB and AM. He can also play in goals if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

NukaCola wrote: »
    I bet at some stage we'll see Clyne at LB if we dont get in a LB.

Not likely, we don't have a back-up RB! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I would be spending a Borinini shaped amount on an LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Teams have and will cop onto us as we are very one dimensional. Pack the midfield and protect the centre backs and, because we don't focus on width, we are fairly useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not likely, we don't have a back-up RB! :D

Can...Henderson...Ings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think we're remarkably behind other teams in terms of depth, though. Its definitely better than it has been for years, anyway.

Yeah, we still have places of need, but its not horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will Rodgers go for 3 at the back against utd that saved him from getting the bullet last season. (tactical genius)

It also means he doesn't have to drop Lovern.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I understand most people said that, but I'm not seeing it as I lay out the depth chart to close out the window. How have most people reached that conclusion? That's the question I'm asking.

Well I think FB is the only place we are light on cover, and I think they rate Joe Maguire so maybe they plan on using him for cup games and emergency cover.
    Lots of CBs, lots of CMs, lots of strikers. A bit short on true width, but we don't really play wingers, so even if we had them, we'd still play Lallana...

So maybe it's an argument of quality instead of depth.

When we question things during a window, we are told to wait until the end of the window. It is now the end of the window and there is a trend in our incomings and outgoings:

Out

Jones - Back up goalkeeper
    Johnson - Natural Full Back
    Manquillo - Natural Full Back
    Enrique - Natural Full Back
    Gerrard - Flexible Centre Midfielder
    Sterling - Pacey dynamic forward (can play across the pitch)
    Markovic - Pacey wing forward (can play centrally)
    Lambert - Target man
    Balotelli - Target man
    Borini - dynamic forward (can play across the pitch)

In

Clyne - Natural Full Back
    Gomez - Central Defender (can cover left back, jury out)
    Milner - Flexible Centre Midfielder
    Firminho - No.10
    Beneteke - Target Man
    Ings - Centre Forward
    Oirigi - Forward (can he play in wide positions?)

Seems like we've lost a lot of natural width in the wash there. Is it deliberate? If so, is it a good thing?

And that leaves aside two other questions that, apologies, I'm forced to ask:

- our Net spend is very moderate
    - our wage bill has probably decreased yet again

I'm tempted to rate the window negatively but that seems to be a minority view. Do the majority want to lay out an argument for why it is positive? This could be an interesting discussion. And an appropriate one for the day that's in it imo.

You can't really judge the window until you can officially discount us getting 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

When we question things during a window, we are told to wait until the end of the window. It is now the end of the window and there is a trend in our incomings and outgoings:

Out

Lambert - Target man
    Balotelli - Target man

In

Firminho - No.10
    Beneteke - Target Man
    Ings - Centre Forward

Seems like we've lost a lot of natural width in the wash there. Is it deliberate? If so, is it a good thing?

I'm tempted to rate the window negatively but that seems to be a minority view. Do the majority want to lay out an argument for why it is positive? This could be an interesting discussion. And an appropriate one for the day that's in it imo.
    While I see where you are coming from you have to remember that the only outs that had any regular game time were gerrard, johnson and sterling
    Milner covers Gerrards loss(the gerrard that left not young version)
    Clyne seems like a big upgrade on Johnson already
    I'm reserving judgement on Firmino as a Sterling replacement

Given that we can only play 11 players, and many of the outgoings were a long way away from being selected (Enrique, Lambert, Borini especially), then their departures really don't weaken us. I think we would have kept Manquillo but Atletico recalled him.

Would Markovic be more use to us as an option for 10/15 games, instead of getting his mojo back in 50 games for Fenerbache? I think the latter.
    Are Ings and Origi better options than Borini, Balo and Lambert? Yes, probably.
    Is Milner an upgrade on Gerrard at 35? Yep.
    Is Clyne better than Johnson? Duh... ;)

I think we may have kept Wisdom as cover, and Markovic is a long term play, but that gives someone like Teixeira, Brannagan or Kent a chance to get some minutes.

I think it's a slight positive overall, plus the squad is younger with fewer difficult personalities.

You can't really judge the window until you can officially discount us getting 4th.

My sarco meter may be off base, but assuming that's a serious post - I can certainly assess where I think we're at before the season is played. If you can project positive, you can project negative. There are surely real arguments either way? :)
    Connavar wrote: »
    While I see where you are coming from you have to remember that the only outs that had any regular game time were gerrard, johnson and sterling
    Milner covers Gerrards loss(the gerrard that left not young version)
    Clyne seems like a big upgrade on Johnson already
    I'm reserving judgement on Firmino as a Sterling replacement

I understand that point, but the reasons Lambert / Balotelli / Borini / Markovic / Manquillo / Enrique didn't get game time was because they weren't good enough. In theory we should have competition for first team places or, at least, that is what squad depth should mean.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I wasn't exactly a fan of Markovic. :) But he was a type of player that made sense for us to have and he was signed to play games and be successful, right? So what's the story with letting him go and not replacing the qualities he was supposed to be bringing to the starting XI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Out

Lambert - Target man
    Balotelli - Target man

In

Firminho - No.10
    Beneteke - Target Man
    Ings - Centre Forward

Don't really have any problems with the dealings to be honest.

But the use of same players on Saturday was atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Out

Lambert - Target man
    Balotelli - Target man

In

Firminho - No.10
    Beneteke - Target Man
    Ings - Centre Forward

It's quite simple for me. With the exception of Sterling the quality of the incoming players is far better than the quality of the comparable outgoing players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

I think they rate Joe Maguire so maybe they plan on using him for cup games and emergency cover.

Gone on loan (Leyton Orient I think ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Gone on loan (Leyton Orient I think ? )
    I think that was only for a month

Given that we can only play 11 players, and many of the outgoings were a long way away from being selected (Enrique, Lambert, Borini especially), then their departures really don't weaken us. I think we would have kept Manquillo but Atletico recalled him.

Would Markovic be more use to us as an option for 10/15 games, instead of getting his mojo back in 50 games for Fenerbache? I think the latter.

I think we may have kept Wisdom as cover, and Markovic is a long term play, but that gives someone like Teixeira, Brannagan or Kent a chance to get some minutes.

I think it's a slight positive overall, plus the squad is younger with fewer difficult personalities.

So the argument for it being a successful window is:

- we've slightly upgraded on direct replacements;
    - we can use U21s to fill any holes that present themselves over the course of the season;
    - younger is better for you know, reasons;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then, any chance of a last day transfer drama? I'd love it if we had a last day transfer drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it's been a good window as I think we have better quality players coming in than what went out, with the exception of Sterling.

We won't ultimately be able to judge it until we see how the season pans out unfortunately

So then, any chance of a last day transfer drama? I'd love it if we had a last day transfer drama.

Coutinho to Barcelona.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Don't really have any problems with the dealings to be honest.

But the use of same players on Saturday was atrocious.

Give me some alternative line ups considering our current squad. A couple of different ways to crack the nut so to speak.

I guess this is what most people would like to get to?

1st XI:

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel / Gomez
    Sakho
    Moreno / Gomez

Milner

Henderson
    Firmino

Couthinho

Sturridge

Beneteke

2nd:

Bogdan

?(Toure?)
    Illori
    Lovren
    ?(Moreno/Gomez)

Lucas

Allen
    Can

Lallana

Oirigi

Ings

I wonder how well we're prepared to progress in Europe while maintaining a league challenge tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Makes no difference who we buy or sell if the manager isn't using them properly.

He isn't imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Give me some alternative line ups considering our current squad. A couple of different ways to crack the nut so to speak.

1st XI:

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel / Gomez
    Sakho
    Moreno / Gomez

Milner

Henderson
    Firmino

Couthinho

Sturridge

Beneteke

2nd:

Bogdan

?(Toure?)
    Illori
    Lovren
    ?(Moreno/Gomez)

Lucas

Allen
    Lallana

?(Couthinho/Firmino)

Oirigi

Ings

I wonder how well we're prepared to progress in Europe while maintaining a league challenge tbh.

No Ibe in either the first or second eleven???

1st XI:

Mignolet

Clyne
    Skrtel / Gomez
    Sakho
    Moreno / Gomez

Milner

Henderson
    Firmino

Couthinho

Sturridge

Beneteke

2nd:

Bogdan

?(Toure?)
    Illori
    Lovren
    ?(Moreno/Gomez)

Lucas

Allen
    Lallana

?(Couthinho/Firmino)

Oirigi

Ings

No Can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Makes no difference who we buy or sell if the manager isn't using them properly.

He isn't imo.

I'd love to know, in his head, why he bought Benteke. Was it really to use him like he is now? Long balls, flick ons etc. If that is what we have to look forward to....

• Advertisement

No Ibe in either the first or second eleven???

Well that's the question I'm asking. There seems to be a consensus that the diamond / two striker approach is what people would like to see. Where does Ibe fit in with such an approach?

No Can?

Sorry, yep. Fixed. It's hard doing this off the top of your head. :)

Is Can still considered fullback cover maybe?

Maybe we've just cleared the decks so that Reus can finally join us. :o:pac:

I'd love to know, in his head, why he bought Benteke. Was it really to use him like he is now? Long balls, flick ons etc. If that is what we have to look forward to....

He wasn't being used like that against Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is the squad and that squad looks very narrow and lacking in width big time.

Lallana/Firmino/Coutinho/Origi/Ings are not wide players or wingers they maybe used as that by this manager but that is not using them to there strengths.

Mignolet/Bogdan

Clyne
    Toure/Skrtel/Ilori/Gomez
    Lovren/Sakho
    Moreno

Ibe
    Henderosn/Lucas/Can/Allen/Milner

Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana/Teixeira

Sturridge/Benteke/Ings/Origi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This is the squad and that squad looks very narrow and lacking in width big time.

Lallana/Firmino/Coutinho/Origi/Ings are not wide players or wingers they maybe used as that by this manager but that is not using them to there strengths.

Mignolet/Bogdan

Clyne
    Toure/Skrtel/Ilori/Gomez
    Lovren/Sakho
    Moreno

Ibe
    Henderosn/Lucas/Can/Allen/Milner

Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana/Teixeira

Sturridge/Benteke/Ings/Origi

When it's laid out like that it's definitely worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry, yep. Fixed. It's hard doing this off the top of your head. :)

Is Can still considered fullback cover maybe?
    What's the story with Flanagan? Is Jose Enrique still there? Is Teixeira gone off on loan again?

Liverpool played their best football since the ahem "classic era" without any wingers two seasons ago. If width is needed then tweak the formation, I'd not be surprised at 4-3-3 in the Europa League and the Cups.

Can---Allen--Milner
    Ibe---Origi---Lallana

sort of thing.

eagle eye wrote
    What's the story with Flanagan? Is Jose Enrique still there? Is Teixeira gone off on loan again?

Flanno back in new year I think, Enrique off to WBA and Teixeira is still at the club (I whisper this but I think he'll stay)

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think it's been a good window as I think we have better quality players coming in than what went out, with the exception of Sterling.

We won't ultimately be able to judge it until we see how the season pans out unfortunately

Is the players in > players out comparison a satisfactory way of judging a window though in of itself? At the outset of the summer we all had opinions on positional / structural needs surely? Have they been addressed?

And are we content with the low investment when it's all said and done?

Ah net spend is back!

Firmino 29m (all in)
    Clyne 12m
    Benteke 32.5m
    Gomez 3.5m
    Ings 7m (guess)

That's not scrimping, the club had a list of targets and bar Depay have landed them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Overall I'm very happy with the window in terms of the quality we've brought in and let go. Enrique isn't going to provide us width from behind his Playstation controller or on his Instragram photos of him out for dinner with the Spanish contingent.

We've brought in very good players, but how they're deployed is another matter.

Left back is a problem for us, no doubt. It's always a difficult position to fill successfully.

One thing that annoys me is loaning players out. It wrecks my head the amount of times we do it. I see we're looking to loan Lloris out again though he doesn't want to go. I even seen it mentioned he could be sold.

We bought Lloris on the same day as Sakho with Rodgers saying he was one for the future rather than for now. So when will the 'future' arrive. By all accounts, he was decent in France and was doing well in that youth tournament.

I'd rather see us give him a chance with us to prove himself rather than persist with Da Loever Loever man who has proved he's sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We should sign Fowler today for the laugh, give everyone a lift after Saturday!

We missed the boat not signing a DM.

Wingers would be nice too.

kfallon wrote: »
    We should sign Fowler today for the laugh, give everyone a lift after Saturday!

Put in a bid for DeGea for the laugh.

I suppose a bid for Navas or Bolasie would be amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Fcuk the transfer window and net spend :pac:

Happy birthday to Sturridge :P

NJ7TH0f.jpg

monkey9 wrote: »

One thing that annoys me is loaning players out. It wrecks my head the amount of times we do it. I see we're looking to loan Lloris out again though he doesn't want to go. I even seen it mentioned he could be sold.

We bought Lloris on the same day as Sakho with Rodgers saying he was one for the future rather than for now. So when will the 'future' arrive. By all accounts, he was decent in France and was doing well in that youth tournament.

I'd rather see us give him a chance with us to prove himself rather than persist with Da Loever Loever man who has proved he's sh!t.

Apparently Ilori was given the choice as to go to Sunderland on loan or not, he choose not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Out

Lambert - Target man
    Balotelli - Target man

In

Firminho - No.10
    Beneteke - Target Man
    Ings - Centre Forward

You forgot Bogdan as goalkeeper cover and he is a definite upgrade on Jones in my view.

Ya know what, yes Clyne is an upgrade on bad Johnson but he isn't as good as good Johnson from a few years back. He doesn't have that same threat going forward.
    Sure he's possibly a better defender but when people can just waltz through the middle or wait for Loveourwren to go under the table, is he really that much of an upgrade?
    Put in a bid for DeGea for the laugh.

You must have forgotten that we have all ready signed a capable goalkeeper fro back-up for Linda's clean-sheet machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is the players in > players out comparison a satisfactory way of judging a window though in of itself? At the outset of the summer we all had opinions on positional / structural needs surely? Have they been addressed?

I find it very hard to say until we see how the season pans out. I'm not going to judge them based on Saturday's poor performance.

Look at it this way, none of us were happy with the transfer window of 2013 when we signed the likes of Aspas, Illori , Alberto etc. Biggest success was keeping Suarez.
    No one expected us to really got a champion's league spot let alone the season we would go on to have and almost win the league.

Regarding the transfers made I think Rodgers is going for a new tactic this season with Benteke up front and more coming through the middle hence, all our midfielders.

Very curious as to how we line up when Sturridge is back and fully fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently Sunderland isn't quite up to the tropical climate of Liverpool, so Illori doesn't want to go there :pac:

Should maybe tell all the potential signings of the city's great climate, and stop them heading to London.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement