Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also, as fun it is to laugh at United spending so much money on a 19 year old, I wish we had the resources to do that, safe int he knowledge it won't set us back much financially, even if the player doesn't succeed.

Also, French guy I work with who is football mad, thinks the deal is bonkers, but he says he has a tonne of potential. He also, more depressingly, says that when Southampton signed Lovren from Lyon for 10m a few years back, nobody could believe it. You can imagine how much they laughed when Liverpool signed him for 25m...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We missed the boat not signing a DM.

You're expecting miracles. We were lucky to keep the one that we have considering Rodgers doesn't believe in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over wingers? When you play with three upfront, there is very little distinction between a winger and a forward, so with that in mind we should have enough cover in Benteke, Ibe, Origi, Ings, Firmino, Ibe, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It really looks like the owners have given Rodgers enough rope to hang himself.

No transfer committee, all their signings kicked out the door (bar Coutinho). It's fully the Rodgers show and it unfortunately looks like the Rodgers s**t show as he doesn't seems to have learned any lessons from last year.

I really hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over wingers? When you play with three upfront, there is very little distinction between a winger and a forward, so with that in mind we should have enough cover in Benteke, Ibe, Origi, Ings, Firmino, Ibe, etc.

I don't necessarily care about the definition of a 'winger', but I do care if we have a plethora of players who all want to occupy the same part of the pitch. For example, Firmino was noted as a player most comfortable behind the striker, a classic no.10. From the little we've see thus far, I can get a sense of that being true. The other thing I care about is pace. Speed kills in sport, and in losing Sterling / Markovic we've lost that quality and I don't see it around the squad currently.

So, in summary, I'm not worried about labels so much as I'm questioning how flexible and fluid we can be when the majority of our squad are naturally central players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Benteke missing belgium training with a thigh injury yay :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't necessarily care about the definition of a 'winger', but I do care if we have a plethora of players who all want to occupy the same part of the pitch. For example, Firmino was noted as a player most comfortable behind the striker, a classic no.10. From the little we've see thus far, I can get a sense of that being true. The other thing I care about is pace. Speed kills in sport, and in losing Sterling / Markovic we've lost that quality and I don't see it around the squad currently.

So, in summary, I'm not worried about labels so much as I'm questioning how flexible and fluid we can be when the majority of our squad are naturally central players.

This is the key we have way to many players whose natural position is to play central and natural inclination is drift into that position when played out of position leaving open space behind them that has been and will continue to be exploited by opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It really looks like the owners have given Rodgers enough rope to hang himself.

No transfer committee, all their signings kicked out the door (bar Coutinho). It's fully the Rodgers show and it unfortunately looks like the Rodgers s**t show as he doesn't seems to have learned any lessons from last year.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Can was a TC signing. Ilori was and he seems to be staying, Sakho was and he is staying, Lallana was and he is staying, Origi certainly was erm.....any more? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Knex. wrote: »
    Also, as fun it is to laugh at United spending so much money on a 19 year old, I wish we had the resources to do that, safe int he knowledge it won't set us back much financially, even if the player doesn't succeed.

Also, French guy I work with who is football mad, thinks the deal is bonkers, but he says he has a tonne of potential. He also, more depressingly, says that when Southampton signed Lovren from Lyon for 10m a few years back, nobody could believe it. You can imagine how much they laughed when Liverpool signed him for 25m...

:confused: Who's that?

Only joking...I've heard several times from several different sources that he was practically run out of Lyon.

Can was a TC signing. Ilori was and he seems to be staying, Sakho was and he is staying, Lallana was and he is staying, Origi certainly was erm.....any more? :pac:

Really?

Seems more like a Rodgers kind of signing.

I'm not saying you're wrong...just find it strange.

• Advertisement

Well you may be right, obviously we're guessing to a degree based on certain parameters but my point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Looking at the squad I think 352 could be the way to go
    Mig
    Can skrtel sakho
    clyne hendo milner moreno
    coutinho
    Firminho benteke

Id play Ings with benteke against Utd and put firminho into coutinho's position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is Firminho going to become the new Lovern here?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mig
    Can skrtel sakho
    coutinho
    Firminho benteke

Id play Ings with benteke against Utd and put firminho into coutinho's position.

Can cannot play there. He was exposed way too many times for his in-ability at the back post and not being aboe to attack the ball in the air.

murpho999 wrote: »

Put his goalkeeper in trouble every other game? Unlikely.

Why would you even ask the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The misspellings, Harry. Think of the Children, won't you.

West Brom are denying reports that they're about to sign Jose Enrique from Liverpool...From the BBC

murpho999 wrote: »

Knex. wrote: »
    The misspellings, Harry. Think of the Children, won't you.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

As bad as it may seem here with Rodgers and TC, its not half as bad as over at OT. It's Tuesday turmoil and fans not happy with LVG.

Good times though :cool::cool::cool:

Looks like City screwed us on Sterling if this Martial lad is going for £59m/€80m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

The thing that strikes me most looking at that squad is surely our wage bill must be very low? I know we are still paying some of Balo's wages and a few other bits ad pieces but when the wage bill was at its highest we had a huge squad with multiple high earners. That squad comprises of many kids on next to nothing. With the increased TV money seems we are in reverse to what other teams are doing with their wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »

You must have forgotten that we have all ready signed a capable goalkeeper fro back-up for Linda's clean-sheet machine.

Obviously he wouldn't be good enough to get a game but we'd make a profit selling him to Madrid.

Looks like Monaco City screwed Man Utd us on Sterling if this Martial lad is going for £59m/€80m

FYP :P

Looks like City screwed us on Sterling if this Martial lad is going for £59m/€80m

Monaco just took a desperate Utd to the cleaners, the deal for Sterling was good for both parties. We could say that Origi looks like fantastic value when set besides Martial. They have almost identical profiles but one is an international who played in the world cup without embarrassing himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

_______Mignolet_______
    Clyne_Skrtel_Sakho_Gomez
    ____Can________Milner_____
    _______Henderson________
    Ibe______________Firmino
    ______Bentekilious_______

Play out the 0-0 and nick it 0-1

Villa making a late move for Illori now it seems

Yea and if Stones goes for 40 + :eek:

Sky sports understands...

Villa are about to sign Lescott. So not sure they'd be after Ilori.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Alonso...

https://twitter.com/TheAnalysisVids/status/638434255056576512

(Have to click on it, its a video clip)

Villa are about to sign Lescott. So not sure they'd be after Ilori.

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 7m7 minutes ago
    Defender Tiago Ilori, who didn't fancy Sunderland, is now considering a loan move to Aston Villa

brevity wrote: »
    Alonso...

https://twitter.com/TheAnalysisVids/status/638434255056576512

(Have to click on it, its a video clip)

From the same game.

https://vine.co/v/eIHYQa5JwZd

Flanno back in new year I think, Enrique off to WBA and Teixeira is still at the club (I whisper this but I think he'll stay)
    James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho · 7m7 minutes ago

As it stands Joao Carlos Teixeira not going out on loan today. Hope he stays put and gets a chance in EL/League Cup games

Just to update, Enrique to WBA seems shrouded in not happening.

edit - Sky Sauces say WBA hope to complete Enrique signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if only we had half the aggression of Manchester City when we had Champions League football to offer.

yes, they're Moneybags FC, but there's a myth about that says if we spent over aggressively, that we were going to bankrupt ourselves and make ourselves a poorly run club overnight.

it's not going to happen with the money that is now on offer.

with the amount of aggressive spending now going on, and with all the mid table clubs catching up because of all the money now available (everyone knew the influx of cash was coming, remember), summer 2014 is looking more like one of the biggest fúck ups in our recent running of our club.

like the lack of foresight in the 90s, when we didn't take advantage of the advent of the Premier League, and market aggressively to nations and fans around the world, making money off the Liverpool name after the success of the 70s and 80s, thus setting us back many years...we are now being just as pacifistic as a club.

City persist with Pellegrini, but line him with an amazing warchest, giving him everything he could possibly need to win.

As I say, if only we had half that ambition, who knows?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Teixeira going on loan would make no sense. He's at the age now where he'll either make it at the club or he won't. I just hope he gets given a chance.

• Advertisement

Teixeira going on loan would make no sense. He's at the age now where he'll either make it at the club or he won't. I just hope he gets given a chance.

Conversely he is also at an age when he should be playing week in week out.

Mig
    Can skrtel sakho
    coutinho
    Firminho benteke

If you go with that though who rotates in for Clyne and Moreno? Plus Can didn't really work out at the back imo.
    The thing that strikes me most looking at that squad is surely our wage bill must be very low? I know we are still paying some of Balo's wages and a few other bits ad pieces but when the wage bill was at its highest we had a huge squad with multiple high earners. That squad comprises of many kids on next to nothing. With the increased TV money seems we are in reverse to what other teams are doing with their wage bill.

Agree. I'm sure it is possible to lower your wage bill and increase your competitiveness in theory - not so certain in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ilori on loan to Villa could be a good move. Won't get a chance as he isn't a Rodgers signing & could come back next year with PL experience & we could have a new manager.

SlickRic wrote: »
    if only we had half the aggression of Manchester City when we had Champions League football to offer.

yes, they're Moneybags FC, but there's a myth about that says if we spent over aggressively, that we were going to bankrupt ourselves and make ourselves a poorly run club overnight.

it's not going to happen with the money that is now on offer.

with the amount of aggressive spending now going on, and with all the mid table clubs catching up because of all the money now available (everyone knew the influx of cash was coming, remember), summer 2014 is looking more like one of the biggest fúck ups in our recent running of our club.

like the lack of foresight in the 90s, when we didn't take advantage of the advent of the Premier League, and market aggressively to nations and fans around the world, making money off the Liverpool name after the success of the 70s and 80s, thus setting us back many years...we are now being just as pacifistic as a club.

City persist with Pellegrini, but line him with an amazing warchest, giving him everything he could possibly need to win.

As I say, if only we had half that ambition, who knows?!

Well a year on it's beyond debate that last summer's transfer window was a disaster:

Lambert: gone
    Balotelli: gone
    Manquillo: gone
    Moreno: poor
    Markovic: gone
    Lallana: poor
    Can: a ways to go, but flashes

That can't continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ilori on loan to Villa could be a good move. Won't get a chance as he isn't a Rodgers signing & could come back next year with PL experience & we could have a new manager.

Would he get his game at Villa? He'd have to be spectacular in training for them to start him - he goes in with very little senior pedigree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well a year on it's beyond debate that last summer's transfer window was a disaster:

That can't continue.

not to that extent it can't.

you must take punts or calculated risks as a club, but you can't focus your transfer business on 'could bes' if you hope to dine at the top table.

you'll get the odd Coutinho (who isn't as great as some will have us believe), but you'll get far too many players that just make up the numbers.

at some stage you just have to invest in players that will make a difference, or else we're simply going to be a 'well run' club that doesn't ever really win anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dickerty wrote: »
    Would he get his game at Villa? He'd have to be spectacular in training for them to start him - he goes in with very little senior pedigree.
    Ciaran Clarke starts for them. So I think he would have a chance.

That can't continue.

My god when you look at those transfers, the season we had and how it finished at Stoke. How the **** did he survive the sack?

That can't continue.

Borini-gone
    Assaidi-gone
    Sahin-gone
    Yesil-gone
    Alberto-gone
    Aspas-gone.
    Cissokho-gone
    Moses-gone.

Allen-poor to ok
    Mignolet-Average
    Toure-poor
    Ilori-always on loan.

Sturridge- Very good success- when not injured has missed just under 50% of games since joining

Coutinho-success.

2012 / 13:

Joe Allen, £15m: squad player
    Borini, £10m: gone
    Sahin, Loan: gone
    Assaidi, £2.3m: gone
    Yesil, £1m: gone
    Sturridge, £12m: brilliant when fit
    Coutinho, £8.5m: :):):)
    Ibe, £0.5m: squad player

£49.3m

2013 / 14:

Alberto, £6.8m: gone
    Aspas, £7m: gone
    Toure, Free: squad player
    Mignolet, £10m: decent goalkeeper
    Ilori, £7m: gone?
    Sakho, £18m: squad player (rather perplexingly)
    Moses, Loan: gone

£48.8m

2014 / 15:

Can, £10m: a ways to go, but flashes
    Lambert, £4m: gone
    Lallana, £25m: :mad:
    Marković, £20m: gone
    Lovren, £20m: :(:(:(
    Origi, £10m: squad player
    Moreno, £12m: poor squad player
    Balotelli, £16m: gone
    Vigouroux, Free: ...
    Stewart, Free: ...

£117m

£215m total, 13 of 24 signings not contributing as of today

I am impressed at those retaining such faith in this windows dealings given what has come before tbh!

Thats depressing reading when you look at our transfer failure rate over the 3 seasons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ciaran Clarke starts for them. So I think he would have a chance.

Nathan Baker our on loan to Bristol City, but Lescott is coming in. I assume he'll play alongside Micah Richards, with Clark and Senderos as back-up. I can't see Ilori being better than 4th choice.

CN0WIbdWwAE17Px.jpg

Nice to see FFP was so successful :rolleyes:

CN0WIbdWwAE17Px.jpg

Nice to see FFP was so successful :rolleyes:

I'm delighted it has failed.

I'm delighted it has failed.

I think we all knew it was going to fail anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement