Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Knex. wrote: »
    Did anyone at the club get him a cake, or are we trying to make him feck off too?

Transfer committee bought the cake. Rodgers won't eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus, everyone in here freaking out because we loaned out Illori. I probably would have rather hold onto him but it's hardly something to get worked up over, there are enough sticks to beat Rodgers with instead of using this as another one.

It's very sad that Enrique had to delete his twitter because of people giving him abuse. I can't remember him having too many disastrous games in a Liverpool jersey. It does seem as if he has been sitting on his arse the past year collecting his wages but not exactly his fault, in fact I would say he's probably up there with the best left back we've had at the club since Riise left (for a period at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Have you seen the new TV deal? It kicks in next year I think (?) and the place will be drowning in readies.

But that kicks in for everyone else as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Last season was fairly dire alright and the Stoke game in particular was just a horror show But I kind of hoped that it all occurred because of Murphys Law or something. So I put last season to the back of my mind and was willing to give Rodgers more time, that was after taking into consideration the amount of new faces, the loss of Luis and especially because of the football we played in the 13/14 season.

Right so...four games into the new season and things aren't looking too good at all and at first I wasn't that annoyed, because I could see a clear improvement in our defending and our new signings looked half decent.

I knew we weren't creating much scoring opportunities but I thought that it might come later on and as long as we kept it tight at the back, we might be able to nick a few wins while we have the likes of Couthinio and Benteke playing.

Now I don't know at all, the West ham game has brought all the bad memories of last season back. I'm still willing to give Rodgers more time and I'll probably make judgement after the next five performances.

Not going into the transfer policy, as I haven't got a scooby on what's going on. It's a pity the journos don't ask wtf in the pressers.

Nice post, I can relate to feeling good about the first 3 games and then that Hammer blow (pun) on Saturday really shook all the good vibes out of me, I just hope that was the blip and the first 3 games were more of a sign of things to come, it was only one game after all, let's see how it goes for the next few before completely jumping the shark! Too small a sample size at the minute, obituaries could be premature for BR, hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Not for a lot of people, 7 points for the 4 games we played is probably par for what people would have settled for albeit the way we earned the points including a loss to West Ham was not ideal. It's still a solid start even though the performances have generally been crap. It seems now that performances are being elevated in importance over points when really it does not matter a jot how we play as long as we get points on the board. It has yet to be revealed whether we'll get the points we need, time will tell, let's hope so, after all we all want us to do well and in turn see Rodgers stay in the job for a long time yet, right?

Playing poorly and getting points is all well and good when you do it consistently and are in a position elevated in the league. Unless you are Sam Alardyce.

For us though. I see Arsenal scrapping results right now with some really poor performances. United probably the same. Even Chelsea are struggling to replicate form of champions. So i am not concerned that we are in the same boat performance wise. Plenty of time for that to change.

It does worry me that last season we had a truly woeful series of performances and Brendan struggled to turn it around. We recovered somewhat and had a purple patch that restored some credibility but it still sits in the back of our minds.

I'm hoping that Brendan can motivate this team he has built to perform to its potential. I do think we have a decent team, but hell look at Swansea! Monk has them playing with real purpose and determination. I'd love to see us with that sort of belief. Then it's about being consistent.

But until we get to the stage where we are firing on all cylinders, i'll settle for points over performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

djPSB wrote: »
    Who would we be looking at as a replacement.

Would they go down the ambitious route and go for Klopp or another high risk appointment with somebody like Monk.

Or maybe their heads could be turned by Pardew.

Yeah, tough auld decision alright.

Can imagine them around the conference table; "So lads, should we go for someone good, or someone not so good?"

Sadly, i could easily see them opting for the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jpboard1 wrote: »

Well duh! Everyone will have a bigger war chest to blow each other out of the market with. The clubs in Germany, France and Spain are going to be richer than they ever thought possible with Sky and BT dosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Would there be a war chest for him?

"Don't mention the war!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, tough auld decision alright.

Can imagine them around the conference table; "So lads, should we go for someone good, or someone not so good?"

Sadly, i could easily see them opting for the latter.

Colin Pascoe is available, I believe.

You'll have your answer by xmas. Rodgers doesn't have the luxury of time on his side here. He burnt up all that last season. He is in a very dodgy position. Results are all that matters.

Christmas will tell a lot.... I posted this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95156387 last April :)
    Augeo wrote: »
    A ppg of approx 2 is required by next Christmas imo, no international comp this summer, last year's purchases have a year's experience, pre season presumably barring injury.

We'll have played 17 PL games come Christmas day, so 34 point target, anything under 30 points would be in unsatisfactory return territory considering all of the following...
    We know strikers are needed.
    Benteke & Ings have come in, both well able to score and neither should disappoint, Ings might not see much PL minutes but he's an option, has skill and gets stuck in.
    Even if Lucas stays we do need another body in midfield that's not of the advanced midfielder ilk.
    Milner (not a Sterling, Firminio AM type of player)
    Anyone like that and a striker or two (defo two if sterling leaves and that's not including origi) along with an upgrade on Jones as back up keeper and a full back and we are good to go imo.
    Jones upgraded and Clyne is a top full back, Gomez does a job there, no excuses really as if it was deemed another FB was needed one should have been bought :)
    There's enough advanced midfield options in hendo, coutinho, lallana, Ibe, markovic. They won't be upgraded on and we won't get better squad players to fit in budget & wages wise.
    Sterling might well be here next season.
    Sterling gone but Firminio in, Markovic gone, again no excuses there, it was decided to loan out Markovic. Also Milner is not a hindrance to attack, box to box type, likes CM but drives forward, nice touch and control bla bla
    Sturridge, origi and two more strikers up front. Balotelli might be one of them though which isn't inspiring.
    Benteke is imo a significant upgrade on Balotelli, as mentioned above I think Ings is an option too
    Allen, Lucas and AN Other for the donkey work.
    Happy to use Mr Versatile mentioned below here as the AN Other, I'm more than happy to let Rodgers decide a controller type isn't required
    Can is versatile.
    As above
    Lovren (i know), sakho, skyrtl & Toure (or some cheap replacement) for CD
    All 4 still here, Gomez too so no excuses there, Lovren being sh1t isn't news.
    Moreno, Flanagan another full back with markovic & Ibe able to fit in cover the rest of defence.
    Clyne, Gomez
    Rodgers etc have from here to the transfer window to plan for goals next season, having a punt on sturridge shouldn't be the answer.
    Benteke

I'm confident to be honest :)

• Advertisement

I'm not confident.

We have had one good performance in a year and a half.

But, we have a lot of new signings, which take time to gel, so it would be wrong to assume that this trend will definitely continue. I'll leave it a few more games before I go all pessimistic and dour on the whole affair.

Till then, sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Have you seen the new TV deal? It kicks in next year I think (?) and the place will be drowning in readies.

Indeed. When everyone is rich, is anyone really rich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm not confident.

We have had one good performance in a year and a half.

But, we have a lot of new signings, which take time to gel, so it would be wrong to assume that this trend will definitely continue. I'll leave it a few more games before I go all pessimistic and dour on the whole affair.

Till then, sceptical.

#DourYear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

If Mr Alan is Benitez then Augeo is surely Rodgers, outstanding display from the youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sure if the new signings don't gel we can loan them out and sell them next summer and spend multi millions bringing in new players.

Throw enough at the wall and hope it sticks seems to be the managers way of doing things.

#DourYear

My Fantasy Football Name :D

James Pearce in mildly critical article shocker.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-comment-ilori-exit-9972602?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

garra wrote: »
    If Mr Alan is Benitez then Augeo is surely Rodgers, outstanding display from the youngster.

Surely 'The Rodgers' would use this smiley :D all the time to flash his teeth.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Surely 'The Rodgers' would use this smiley :D all the time to flash his teeth.

I actually had that instead of the one I eventually used, being mindful of the audience here.

• Advertisement

If you keep quoting yourself and answering your own questions on the internet is that early signs of internet madness.

A bit like talking to yourself in real life can be a sign of madness.

If you keep quoting yourself and answering your own questions on the internet is that early signs of internet madness.

Yawn.

Merely illustrating how I reckon the weaknesses as I saw them last April have been addressed.

Quoting my post was the simplest way imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The key sentence is this;
    Of course Rodgers isn’t in the business of cutting off his nose to spite his face. If he thought they were up to the task he would have kept them and played them. The bottom line is they, like Ilori, didn’t impress him, but it underlines the folly of signing players the manager isn’t 100% sold on.

So as per usual, pro Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

It probably is, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

mosstin wrote: »
    It probably is, isn't it?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »
    I think we loaned out the cake.

Well, we dont want to be accused of trying to have our cake and eat it or a cake loaned out is worth two drop scones in reserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

brevity wrote: »
    I think we loaned out the cake.

Was there an option to buy if the cake tasted good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We're flashing our eyelashes at Yaya Toure with the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Christmas will tell a lot.... I posted this http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95156387 last April :)

We'll have played 17 PL games come Christmas day, so 34 point target, anything under 30 points would be in unsatisfactory return territory considering all of the following...

Benteke & Ings have come in, both well able to score and neither should disappoint, Ings might not see much PL minutes but he's an option, has skill and gets stuck in.

Milner (not a Sterling, Firminio AM type of player)

Jones upgraded and Clyne is a top full back, Gomez does a job there, no excuses really as if it was deemed another FB was needed one should have been bought :)

Sterling gone but Firminio in, Markovic gone, again no excuses there, it was decided to loan out Markovic. Also Milner is not a hindrance to attack, box to box type, likes CM but drives forward, nice touch and control bla bla

Benteke is imo a significant upgrade on Balotelli, as mentioned above I think Ings is an option too

Happy to use Mr Versatile mentioned below here as the AN Other, I'm more than happy to let Rodgers decide a controller type isn't required

As above

All 4 still here, Gomez too so no excuses there, Lovren being sh1t isn't news.

Clyne, Gomez

Benteke

I'm confident to be honest :)

I'd say you look in the mirror while you masterbate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

In fairness, sometimes the temptation is too much.

daily-mirror-front-pages-archive-212.jpg

Grayditch wrote: »
    In fairness, sometimes the temptation is too much.

daily-mirror-front-pages-archive-212.jpg

11377894_792328420886691_1408737707_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Really, thanks for sharing. Slightly disconcerting you thought that one out, wouldn't be my thing tbh but you can keep imagining so if you like, dirty bastad.

You should, ya absolute riiiiiiiide, ya.

That's a lot of i's, like an I, not l's, like an L (ell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's a shame about Ilori. On paper he sounds like an excellent young player. In reality though he made only sporadic appearances in the last 2 years on loan and not only because of his terrible injury record. It's quite likely he's simply not good enough for the club, and his lack of competitive appearances for us probably underlines that more than it contradicts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

That's a big deal, seeing as everyone thinks he is just a mouthpiece for the club!

And he's dead right. Hard to say if there is no strategy, or if this is just Rodgers unwinding decisions he didn't agree with in the first place - Balo, Ilori, Marko all appear to have been players he was given, rather than ones he chose.

Either way, he is left with a pretty thin squad, so let's hope the kids (those not going on loan) are able to fill gaps when needed.

Enrique may actually get a game occasionally, at least we still have 4 FBs on the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's a big deal, seeing as everyone thinks he is just a mouthpiece for the club! Rodgers

FYP .... and I don't think that piece does anything to change that opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Reasonably happy post-transfer window.

Arsenal, Man Utd and even Chelsea are a couple of injuries in key positions away from disaster.

Man City to run away with the League, but Top 4 is there for the taking this season.

Liverpool to finish 3rd I predict.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The key sentence is this;
    Of course Rodgers isn’t in the business of cutting off his nose to spite his face. If he thought they were up to the task he would have kept them and played them. The bottom line is they, like Ilori, didn’t impress him, but it underlines the folly of signing players the manager isn’t 100% sold on.

So as per usual, pro Rodgers.

Him being critical of the club is a bigger deal than being critical of Rodgers. The latter will not be around indefinitely, the club will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Good article here on why Moreno has to start for us.
    The most frustrating aspect of Liverpool’s weekend collapse at home to West Ham was the fact the poor performance seemed certain from an extremely early stage. This wasn’t one of those matches where the teams went toe-to-toe and one gradually prevailed—West Ham took a third-minute lead, and rarely seemed set to relinquish it.
    Once ahead, West Ham remained deep and compact, almost inviting Liverpool to attack down the flanks. Instead, Brendan Rodgers’ side relentlessly attempted to penetrate through the middle, with both Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino drifting inside.

The situation was particularly stark down Liverpool’s left. With James Tomkins a makeshift right-back and naturally playing very narrow, Liverpool needed players who could go down the outside. But Coutinho never did so, and left-back Joe Gomez, a right-footed player, cut inside almost every time he received possession. Rodgers ended up shouting at both Coutinho and Gomez to stay out wide; the space was out there, but those two seemed incapable of realising it.
    It was strange to hear Rodgers say after the game that he knew attacking down the flanks would be key. “The key was getting the ball into the sides, to exploit the sides of the field—we prepared for that, but taking it onto the field is more difficult,” he said. “We never really dominated the sides of the pitch to get in behind.”
    But that was entirely expected considering Rodgers’ selection on the left flank. What else was he expecting?

He tried to fix things at half-time, with the use of Alberto Moreno and a switch 3-4-1-2, but Coutinho’s red card meant we didn’t have enough of an opportunity to see how successful it was. Moreno, though, might prove to be crucial to Liverpool’s system this season. Rodgers seems set to use Coutinho regularly on the left flank, drifting into his favoured central positions, but Liverpool can’t afford to play with no width whatsoever.
    They need an attack-minded player capable of bombing down the outside and using his left foot, and that’s where Moreno comes in. Joe Gomez has done nothing wrong—in fact, defensively he’s looked very good—but it’s doubtful whether he and Coutinho will form an effective attacking unit. Moreno, meanwhile, is an extremely talented young left-back. The Spaniard made defensive mistakes last season, but that’s to be expected from a player of his age.

Young full-backs simply aren’t defensively perfect, and for good reason: they’re generally being scouted, and recruited, on the basis of their energy, pace and attacking abilities. For them to be defensively sound, they’d essentially have to be the complete all-round footballer at a ludicrously early stage of their career.
    Even a player like Ashley Cole, who came through the Arsenal youth system as a forward, was very poor in a positional sense early in his career. He made mistakes, but he had a manager in Arsene Wenger who is understanding—sometimes overly so—when young players are still finding their way. With a bit of patience, Cole became arguably the best left-back in Europe.

Moreno might not be at that level, but he has the raw ingredients to become an excellent all-round footballer. His acceleration is simply frightening, and while this is most obvious in an attacking sense—his goal at White Hart Lane, at roughly this point last season, is a good example—it’s also vital in terms of recovery speed. He made a brilliant challenge on Saturday to race back and dispossess Cheikhou Kouyate, and while that won’t always be capable of covering his positional errors, it’s

certainly vital.

The other issue is the struggles of Liverpool’s left-sided centre-back Dejan Lovren. Badly at fault for West Ham’s second goal at the weekend, it would be understandable if Rodgers felt he needed a “proper” defender alongside him. But Liverpool can’t afford to attack in only two-thirds of the width of the pitch—it makes them slow, predictable and easy to play against.
    The use of Moreno, perhaps even in that 3-4-2-1 system, will be a very useful option this season. If Rodgers wants Coutinho to drift in, someone must provide the balance.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Good article here on why Moreno has to start for us.

I would like to see Moreno full back and Gomez in place of Lovren at LCB :)

.............Rodgers ended up shouting at both Coutinho and Gomez to stay out wide; the space was out there, but those two seemed incapable of realising it.........

with Firminho and Benteke on the pitch you'd like to see Coutinho sacrifice himself a tad and do what he's told, imo

'Arry knows the score.

Brendan Rodgers' team are 'bang average' and 'lucky to have any points'
    Harry Redknapp has launched a scathing attack on Liverpool, describing Brendan Rodgers' side as "bang average" and "the worst Liverpool side I have seen in years".
    “Look at the two centre-halves on Saturday (Dejan Lovren and Martin Skrtel). The left-back (Joe Gomez) is a good young player who can’t kick with his left foot but he is playing at left-back. He’s a fantastic talent, strong, quick. But what will he give you on the left? He is on the wrong side. They look a badly balanced team to me. Sorry, I can’t have Liverpool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11838253/Liverpool-news-Harry-Redknapp-attacks-worst-Anfield-side-I-have-seen-in-years.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Has there been confirmation of a permanent deal for Ilori to Villa at the end of the loan? Hope not, he still has potential & hopefully we'll see that at Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

D'Agger wrote: »
    Has there been confirmation of a permanent deal for Ilori to Villa at the end of the loan? Hope not, he still has potential & hopefully we'll see that at Villa

The buyout clause was confirmed as between £6-9m depending on appearances with Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Gomez at centre back and Moreno outside him at left full in a 4-4-2 would be a recipe for disaster I think. Moreno's positional sense would leave us (and Joe) badly exposed!

The buyout clause was confirmed as between £6-9m depending on appearances with Villa.

So all they are really trying to do is cover their initial outlay. But if he does well, that's a bargain price.

Personally, I don't think his attributes are best suited to the PL. He may be quick, but he'll get bullied in physical games, of which there are many...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I would like to see Moreno full back and Gomez in place of Lovren at LCB :)

.............Rodgers ended up shouting at both Coutinho and Gomez to stay out wide; the space was out there, but those two seemed incapable of realising it.........

with Firminho and Benteke on the pitch you'd like to see Coutinho sacrifice himself a tad and do what he's told, imo

Neither Coutinho or Gomez are wide players. Rodgers had Moreno on the bench who could've played wide in place of either player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You try things sometimes, and they dont work. Thats fine but shouting at them to play a position they cannot do effectively instead of changing it, is really poor management.

I prefer Coutinho out wide, or as an unorthodox CM, than as a number 10, tbh.

Its easy because of his style of play to say that's what he is (and his squad number), but I feel he gets closed out of games too easily there and it doesn't get the most out of his ability for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Anyone else notice how often clyne had a load of space on the right, but the ball kept going out to gomez which clearly wasn't working?

Kirby wrote: »
    You try things sometimes, and they dont work. Thats fine but shouting at them to play a position they cannot do effectively instead of changing it, is really poor management.

But asking Gomez to stay wide doesn't mean we are looking for him to put crosses in from his left, it pulls out their RB and leaves more space for Coutinho/Firmino to get in between RB and RCB...

And Coutinho CAN play there, can trick his way past most FBs and pick out a player in the box. But it felt like he was staying out always looking for that corning shot that works for him...

• Advertisement

Here is the full loan list including those who I will not be covering as they are not "developing" and/or coming back

Allan SJK Seinajoen Jalkapallokerho (January)
    T. Awoniyi FSV Frankfurt (season)
    Sergi Canós Brentford (January)
    S. Yeşil Luzern (season)
    L. Marković Fenerbahçe (season)
    J. Maguire Leyton Orient (one month)
    H. Wilson Crewe (January)
    S. Ojo Wolverhampton (season)
    A. Wisdom Norwich (season)
    L. Jones Blackpool (season)
    K. Stewart Swindon (season)
    J. Williams Swindon (season)
    L. Vigouroux Swindon (season)
    D Ward Aberdeen (season)
    R McLaughlin Aberdeen (season)

Tiago Ilori Aston Villa (season to buy)
    M. Balotelli Milan (season)
    Luis Alberto La Coruña (season)

Others who may yet go out are Jerome Sinclair (all gone quiet on that front), Jack Dunn, Ryan Kent and Cameron Brannagan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement