Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

corwill wrote: »
    Bizarre. Might as well have moved him on if we're not going to play him.

Not bizarre if we are taking it seriously. There are only so many places, and they are all filled, and he is too old to be included with the U21s. So he is out because we need to include more senior players.

He might still go on loan...

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Our best player v west ham, though that doesnt say much, he has to start against utd

Lucas was our best player v United? Really?

What, 6/10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

My team to play the Mancs!

Mignolet

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Moreno

Lucas

Milner Can/Henderson (Hendo plays if fit)

Firmino

Benteke Ings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mignolet

Lucas

Firmino

Benteke Ings

I'd say that's where most people are in terms of the preferred formation. Moreno is weak imo, but he is a natural left sided player. I think two up front is massively preferred at this juncture, and Firminho / Coutinho look most comfortable to me in behind the striker (s). Needless to say, Skrtlel / Sakho would be the preferred centre half pairing.

As I said the other day though, if that is our best formation then the absence of any depth at fullback and holding midfielder is very concerning indeed. We have enough in the other areas depth wise, though our attack does need to click and start producing goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Dickerty wrote: »

What, 6/10?

Yeah,6/10 is probably right...was anyone better than that? Not that I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Really good piece on our loans over the last few years...

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/09/03/proof-that-liverpool-in-the-loan-market-is-a-myth-and-a-total-waste-of-time-and-money/

TL:DR - No one, not the club or the player, benefits from the loan.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mignolet

Lucas

Firmino

Benteke Ings

That's what I'd like to see. I think we need to start playing 2 up top again.
    Last year I believe it would have helped Mario.
    This year it will help Benteke.
    It will also make the transition of Sturridge back into the team easier.
    It also gives Ings and Origi more of a chance to show us what they have in their locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The formation is almost meaningless.

If we continue playing so slowly (i.e. Rodgersball), then the result will be the same. Barely any goals and relying on Skrtel/Lovren to remain solid.

Ings should be starting, if only for his pace and energy. He ain't Suarez by any means, but he has that kind of energy and willingness to work.

I am not overly concerned with the goals. Benteke, Firmino and Milner are all new. Firmino has only had 1 start. We have hit the post 3 times so far. Sturridge is close to return, and Ings & Origi have barely gotten on the pitch yet.

There are lots of goals in that group once they get up to speed, and the games start coming more regularly...

brevity wrote: »
    http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/09/03/proof-that-liverpool-in-the-loan-market-is-a-myth-and-a-total-waste-of-time-and-money/

To be honest, it doesn't prove that at all. It only proves that the quality coming through the youths was not good enough, so no loan would ever have improved them enough.

The opening statement that only 4 of those players went on to play at a high level elsewhere actually backs up that statement - the players were not good enough.

Sometimes, our responsibility is to ensure that players coming through the academy make a good career for themselves - they cannot all play at our level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

SlickRic wrote: »
    The formation is almost meaningless.

If we continue playing so slowly (i.e. Rodgersball), then the result will be the same. Barely any goals and relying on Skrtel/Lovren to remain solid.

Ings should be starting, if only for his pace and energy. He ain't Suarez by any means, but he has that kind of energy and willingness to work.

For all the flair and skill and direct play that Coutinho and Firmino have, Ings has more or the aggression that we need in the top third to displace the opposition and to make space for Couinho, Benteke and Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mignolet

Lucas

Firmino

Benteke Ings

Seems to be everybody's opinion that we play 2 up top - come on how likely is it that we change from 1 up front to 2 up front for the first time this season away to United and by giving another striker his first start - not going to happen lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

To be honest, it doesn't prove that at all. It only proves that the quality coming through the youths was not good enough, so no loan would ever have improved them enough.

The opening statement that only 4 of those players went on to play at a high level elsewhere actually backs up that statement - the players were not good enough.

Sometimes, our responsibility is to ensure that players coming through the academy make a good career for themselves - they cannot all play at our level.

I see it as a huge waste of money.

There was rumours that Benteke is injured...any news on that? I haven't seen anything today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

There was rumours that Benteke is injured...any news on that? I haven't seen anything today.

He's a doubt for Belgiums game on Saturday, but confident of playing in their Tuesday game.

Benimar wrote: »
    He's a doubt for Belgiums game on Saturday, but confident of playing in their Tuesday game.

Thanks. Nothing too serious so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What, 6/10?

He might have been 6/10 but he was still our best player, who do you think played better against west ham then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Ibe may disagree but besides him your right. I prefer keeping the players at the club and letting them play U21's. At least they can be ready to step up if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He might have been 6/10 but he was still our best player, who do you think played better against west ham then??

They were all ****e. Lucas did not stand out at all either. Done nothing of note whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Danny Ings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

SlickRic wrote: »
    The day we talk about the likes of Ings needing to start is the day we might as well pack it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

monkey9 wrote: »
    Danny Ings.

Your really clutching at straws there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Your really clutching at straws there;)

Not really. You may as well pick Ings or Clyne as being our best player last week as Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Did Lucas impress people enough against West Ham to get another game or is it a case of hoping he gets better? He struggled after a good first half at Arsenal and really really bad against West Ham. Man U have a strong midfield. Lucas would be a complete passenger.

He played well for 45 mins against Arsenal and all of a sudden he is straight into the team.

Cant help but suspect a bit of pro Lucas bias based on who signed him.

Lucas isn't good enough to be starting. The wankfest over him is starting to get a bit much, he can come in do a job in a tough away game but we need much better if we are going to play a DM more often.

The problem with Lucas is he cant play in a midfield 2 so that means Rodgers has to play 3 in the middle which is far too conservative especially at home to the likes of West Ham.

We should have played 3 up front last week not 3 in the middle. I'm fed up of 65% possession and **** all to show for it. Get the ball up to the forwards and go hell for leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone said yesterday Rodgers was using these 4 games as a mini season.

So this is what I saw from the players in the mini season.

Mignolet--Average to OK.

Clyne- So far so good

Skrtel- is Skrtel.

Lovren-disaster happening.

Gomez- lots and lots of potential maybe the star of the show so far.

Milner- solid does his job whatever team needs.

Henderson- same as Milner.

Coutinho- average to best in the league needs to be more consistent.

Lallana- all Cruyff turns no substance.

Benteke- not used to his strengths.

Ibe- not ready for a starting place.

Firmino- shows flashes.

Can- not ready for a starting place.

Lucas- you no what you get with Lucas.

Ings- ran around.

Moreno- lots of pace headless chicken.

Rodgers-??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

That's would suggest they are simply not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    Lucas isn't good enough to be starting. The wankfest over him is starting to get a bit much, he can come in do a job in a tough away game but we need much better if we are going to play a DM more often.

The problem with Lucas is he cant play in a midfield 2 so that means Rodgers has to play 3 in the middle which is far too conservative especially at home to the likes of West Ham.

We should have played 3 up front last week not 3 in the middle. I'm fed up of 65% possession and **** all to show for it. Get the ball up to the forwards and go hell for leather.

There's no fear of 65% possession in Old Trafford.

I think it's no coincidence that our one acceptable half of 8 played thus far came with him on the pitch and moving well.

I think he should be starting every game tbh, but particularly the likes of our next game. I also think that the dog on the street knows he isn't going to be effective in a scenario where we are 2 - 0 down at home and chasing a game. It isn't the fault of Lucas that the manager yet again made illogical substitutions when chasing a game. But ultimately, I can't blame Lucas for the opening two goals and I don't find him personally culpable for our inability to break West Ham down throughout the rest of the game no more than I blame Gomez for being unable to cross with his left foot - certain players can't do certain things but everyone has their role to play at the appropriate time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As poor as he was against West Ham, I do believe Lucas has to start against United, yeah.

Hopefully Henderson will be back and going strong, and he can pair with Lucas and Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

there was a few worse players vs West Ham than Lucas tbh.

My team vs Man Utd would be.

Mignolet
    Clyne----Gomez----Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas
    Milner
    Can/Henderson if fit
    Origi
    Benteke----Firmino

Have a feeling we will play 3 at the back though & of course Lovren will probably start.

I wonder is Gerrard trying to say something about this Liverpool team compared to his Liverpool team then.
    stevengerrard Spine ����

https://instagram.com/p/7JF_hxnHv2/

• Advertisement

This current team would lose 10 out 10 times to that team.

We're a bunch of pussies in comparison.

And I'm not even one of the pessimist around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

MD1990 wrote: »
    there was a few worse players vs West Ham than Lucas tbh.

My team vs Man Utd would be.

Mignolet
    Clyne----Gomez----Sakho---Moreno
    Lucas
    Milner
    Can/Henderson if fit
    Origi
    Benteke----Firmino

Have a feeling we will play 3 at the back though & of course Lovren will probably start.

I'd go with....

...................Mignolet........................
    .....Skrtel.......Sakho.........Gomez.......
    Clyne.............Lucas................Moreno
    .........Milner...............Can...............
    ................Ings...Benteke...........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Knex. wrote: »

Torres + Gerrard would be on fire against Skrtel-Lovren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Skrtel would be knackered trying to cover both backlines

Without doubt, the best team we've had in the last 25 years (excluding Babel who was fooking useless :pac:)

Ah would ye cop on. That team would be challenging for teh title but we are not. Our team currently is more than capable for a battle for top 4 with Arsenal and United.

United tried to sign a big name this summer and failed miserably, only to go and panic buy potential (after slagging City all summer for doing the same).

Arsenal brought in a keeper who albeit saved them against us, he cost them 3 goals this season already................... They still have the same injury prone team they had last season. They will struggle to field a full strength team for the year. They are light at the back and lighter up front. Their midfield is over reliant on Coq who had a GREAT season last year but is he really going to be as good this season? (time will tell)

We have been looking more solid at the back (west ham aside). Arsenal and stoke scored 10 goals in the same fixtures last season and we got 2 clean sheets. We underestimated West Ham the same as Arsenal did and got crapped on for it. But I expect our defence to get back to keeping solid. We have a more defensive set of full backs now who are also protected by very energetic midfielders who constantly close down players reducing the amount of chances the opposition get.

We need to start scoring more but with Benteke we have a finisher and Firmino will hopefully add to creativity. Even Ibe should be handy this season. Ings is pace and he can score goals, Perfect little squad player for the bench that can try to force his way into the first team. With Origi we have two fast players who can come off the bench and worry tired opposition.

This years Milner is better than last years Gerrard................

We have strengthened our team this summer and make no doubt, we are a bigger threat to top 4 this year than last. Arry was talking sh1t and obviously forgets the team that Roy built.

Without doubt, the best team we've had in the last 25 years (excluding Babel who was fooking useless :pac:)

Could you imagine we got Suarez into that side....................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought Ings was the best thing about the West Ham "performance". Not that that says much.

Anyone interested in going to Sion for the Liverpool game on Dec 10th?
    Flights to Geneva are only €110, anyone aware of someone who does packages for Europa trips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The 1990 team was better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Imagine if you could swap out Babel for Suarez in that team, wow. I believe we had scouted him heavily around that time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Has this article from the Daily Express been shared.

The club tried to shift Moreno on deadline day. Report started with AS in Spain

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/602573/Real-Madrid-Liverpool-Alberto-Moreno-Transfer-News-Gossip

Has this article from the Daily Express been shared.

The club tried to shift Moreno on deadline day. Report started with AS in Spain

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/602573/Real-Madrid-Liverpool-Alberto-Moreno-Transfer-News-Gossip

That would be beyond daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would anyone believe it though? How many stupid links did we wade through this summer? Kovacic alone would account for several megabytes of type.

Anyone interested in going to Sion for the Liverpool game on Dec 10th?
    Flights to Geneva are only €110, anyone aware of someone who does packages for Europa trips?

Our allocation will be very very low I expect, capacity is apparently 14,500 in their stadium so we'll get 800ish - difficult to get one I'd expect

8-10 wrote: »
    Our allocation will be very very low I expect, capacity is apparently 14,500 in their stadium so we'll get 800ish - difficult to get one I'd expect

They should move it to Geneva 2 hours away, get in 30K+...

Meltdown in the Arsenal thread, meltdown in the United thread, meltdown in the Chelsea thread - no Man City thread :pac:

They should move it to Geneva 2 hours away, get in 30K+...

Ah ok hadn't realised that

Should never have sold him :P
    Shelvey said: “I was a bit immature then and a bit silly. I pulled him aside afterwards and apologised to him and he was spot on with me.

“He said, ‘no I like it. It shows you’ve got a bit of balls about you’.

“I got a few high fives around town for the next few months, but it was silly from me on the professional stage. You don’t do something like that.

shelvey-pic.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shelvey-what-ferguson-said-former-9983067

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

kfallon wrote: »
    The 1990 team was better!

That was the best team I have seen with Hysén being a rock in that defence for a couple years.

4663193.jpg?338

Some of the older LFC fans may remember Hysén's performance vs England and especially this tackle on Lineker :D

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement