Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I think you have Houghton and Whelan mixed up in that team!
    Molby couldn't get into it if everyone was fit! Good defensive back up in Venison and Gillespie. Ablett was ok, average enough but Burrows was a disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

kfallon wrote: »
    I think you have Houghton and Whelan mixed up in that team!
    Molby couldn't get into it if everyone was fit! Good defensive back up in Venison and Gillespie. Ablett was ok, average enough but Burrows was a disaster!

I stole the team from some other page :)
    But If I remember Houghton's position was primarily CM & Whelan's winger, I stand corrected though :)

But your right :P

The 89/90 season review is on YouTube, well worth a watch! Biggest stand out game was watching them play Chelsea at the old Stamford Bridge (carpark included :P). Game was on live on Sports Saturday on RTE and Liverpool demolished them 5-2, some of the counter attacking football was breathtaking! They ripped Chelsea apart!

Molby could even afford to miss a penalty and it was all done with no Barnes on the pitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone know about the Liverpool v Man Utd "legends" game tonight?

Pretty thin stuff to be honest, Liverpool are taking this more seriously
    1. Jerzy Dudek
    2. Stephane Henchoz
    3. Bjorn Tore Kvarme
    4. Jason McAteer
    6. Phil Babb
    9. Robbie Fowler (capt)
    9th Ian Rush (manager)
    10th Luis Garcia
    11. Vladimir Smicer
    12th Steve Harkness
    15. Patrik Berger
    16. Didi Hamann
    21. Salif Diou
    22. Sander Westerveld
    25th David Thompson

Man Utd taking the piss
    1. Raimond van der Gouw
    2nd Lee Martin
    3rd Denis Irwin (capt),
    4th Karel Poborský
    5th Ronny Johnsen
    6th Clayton Blackmore
    7th Bryan Robson (manager)
    8th Russell Beardsmore
    11th Keith Gillespie
    12. Mickey Thomas
    13. Kevin Pilkington
    14. Ben Thornley
    15. Jesper Blomqvist
    19th Dwight Yorke
    25th Quinton Fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone know about the Liverpool v Man Utd "legends" game tonight?

Pretty thin stuff to be honest, Liverpool are taking this more seriously

Man Utd taking the piss

Now lets do a combined best 11.

• Advertisement

Paddy B will run the show in that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

But If I remember Houghton's position was primarily CM & Whelan's winger, I stand corrected though :)

Whelan as a winger??!!!!:confused::confused::P
    I wouldnt even call Houghton a winger either!! but he was definitely a right sided midfielder, Whelan was central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I wouldnt even call Houghton a winger either!! but he was definitely a right sided midfielder, Whelan was central.

Yeah ur right about Whelan. But Whelan did play in the wing for Liverpool after he replaced Kennedy. He stayed there until Barnes came in to the team, then was pushed in to CM (Harry Palmer probable remembers more vividly though :P)

Think Whelan played left side of midfield when he broke into the team first!
    He's prob the reason I began supporting Liverpool, one of my fav ever players!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Think Whelan played left side of midfield when he broke into the team first!
    He's prob the reason I began supporting Liverpool, one of my fav ever players!

ye he started as a left winger ended up as defensive midfielder under kenny.Just finished whelans book today good read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nerdlingr wrote: »

I always thought Dirk Kuyt was very much like Houghton. Not a winger but a very industrious and effective right sided midfielder.

Hmmm, it seems no one can quite place players in a specific position in one of the best Liverpool sides never mind this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

brad jones

gerrard suarez gerrard suarez

gerrard alonso gerrard

kenny torres suarez

best team ever :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would have Doni on the left ahead of Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That Hysen tackle...money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I wonder is Gerrard trying to say something about this Liverpool team compared to his Liverpool team then.

https://instagram.com/p/7JF_hxnHv2/

Swap Sterling for Babel and Suarez for Kuyt (however industrious he was, he was over rated) and that team would beat any team in the league today.

Man City, Chelsea...all comers.

That team was really hampered by the lack of width, if we had solved that (fcking Albert Riera and J Pennant didn't do it) we would have had a league medal for Gerrard.

At the time I thought Babel was gonna be magic, that's the problem with judging players based on u21 tournaments.

Ibe and Gomez start for England U21s against the USA, playing at Deepdale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jon with the Spanish Joe Allen.

https://instagram.com/p/7LRlQfh9YB/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Balotelli scored for Milan in their friendly. 3 minutes on the pitch

https://twitter.com/Adz77/status/639489844004175873

(Quality of the clip is potato)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully the Echo don't catch wind of Flanagan's photo or they'll be running him out of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Jon with the Spanish Joe Allen.

https://instagram.com/p/7LRlQfh9YB/

Sooner the better we get rid. posting on social media, no commitment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

if we had solved that (fcking Albert Riera and J Pennant didn't do it) we would have had a league medal for Gerrard.
    I quite liked Riera to be honest, incredible touch on him, scored some crackers that season too. We needed more than just him as a decent winger though - needed an absolutely top notch option for even just one of the wings.
    At the time I thought Babel was gonna be magic, that's the problem with judging players based on u21 tournaments.

Babel is a good example for keeping Marko imo though - he used to really change games just by coming on. Remember "Stop - Babel Time!"? Against tired legs, the fear alone of getting caught out made defenders make positional errors leaving more space centrally. It's a change up we're really lacking now aside from Ibe. (I think Babel and Marko might be even faster on the sprint than Ibe too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Swap Sterling for Babel and Suarez for Kuyt (however industrious he was, he was over rated) and that team would beat any team in the league today.

Man City, Chelsea...all comers.

That team was really hampered by the lack of width, if we had solved that (fcking Albert Riera and J Pennant didn't do it) we would have had a league medal for Gerrard.

As some think/thought about Markovic more recently. But the rest of the current crop come nowhere close to that team, sadly. Thats not to say I think our team cannot possibly reach those levels, but you consider Sturridge now versus Torres then, well.. maybe Milner now versus Mascher then.. ehh.. ok Lovren now versus Carragher then, oops, no no - Coutinho now versus Gerrard then.. it goes on.. not forgetting Kuyts marathonic levels of stamina and guts versus Llama & Ibe together :eek:

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I quite liked Riera to be honest, incredible touch on him, scored some crackers that season too. We needed more than just him as a decent winger though - needed an absolutely top notch option for even just one of the wings.

Babel is a good example for keeping Marko imo though - he used to really change games just by coming on. Remember "Stop - Babel Time!"? Against tired legs, the fear alone of getting caught out made defenders make positional errors leaving more space centrally. It's a change up we're really lacking now aside from Ibe. (I think Babel and Marko might be even faster on the sprint than Ibe too).

Riera scored 5 goals (only 3 in the league!) in over 50 games. He was useless. He only managed 8 assists, which is frankly brutal. Poor signing.

I don't remember Babel as fondly. He was a Kewell-esque disappointment for me. Thought we were really going to kick on with him and it just never materialised. 91 games. 12 goals. 5 ...fcking 5! assists. Poor signing.

Scary thing about Babel is that he is only 28....and plays for some team in saudi/dubai/uae god knows where.

Riera scored 5 goals (only 3 in the league!) in over 50 games. He was useless. He only managed 8 assists, which is frankly brutal. Poor signing.

I don't remember Babel as fondly. He was a Kewell-esque disappointment for me. Thought we were really going to kick on with him and it just never materialised. 91 games. 12 goals. 5 ...fcking 5! assists. Poor signing.

Scary thing about Babel is that he is only 28....and plays for some team in saudi/dubai/uae god knows where.

Riera added actual wing play though - sad as it is to say, he was our best winger for a long time, stretched teams and had a ****ing wonderful touch. Could always be relied upon to consistently beat a man.

Was he amazing, no, could have done with more pace, but in the 08/09 season, he performed very well. Had a real soft spot for him, he had that touch of magic on occasions.

A few of my preferred moments from him are on here;

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Riera added actual wing play though - sad as it is to say, he was our best winger for along time, stretched teams and had a ****ing wonderful touch. Could always be relied upon to beat a man.

Was he amazing, no, could have done with more pace, but in the 08/09 season, he performed very well.

He really didn't. He was our best winger in a time when we were crying out for someone, anyone, to come and be half decent on the wing.

The facts are there. 8 assists. Paltry. 5 goals.

Over 2 seasons. If he was beating his man, and I really don't recall it happening so frequently, then he must have been crossing it into row z or passing to the keeper.

He may have ran about a bit and had a decent touch but in terms of his impact on the success of the team...well, it was negligible. In terms of goals and assists (both of which have to count when playing in a front 3) he was a waste of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Over 2 seasons.

9 assists and 5 goals in 56 appearances. 45 starts, 11 sub appearances. Didn't think he was great but he was pretty decent for us.

He really didn't. He was our best winger in a time when we were crying out for someone, anyone, to come and be half decent on the wing.

Over 2 seasons. If he was beating his man, and I really don't recall it happening so frequently, then he must have been crossing it into row z or passing to the keeper.

He may have ran about a bit and had a decent touch but in terms of his impact on the success of the team...well, it was negligible. In terms of goals and assists (both of which have to count when playing in a front 3) he was a waste of space.

We obviously have different views on his contribution to 08/09. Yup, could have scored and assisted a bit more, but imo he added a lot to what was our most convincing, balanced season for a very long time. He opened up so much space inside, which was important with all our stars being central players.

Again, i'm not calling him a world beater, but to limit his contributions to stats, rather than what actually happened on the field, and to call him a bad signing is to do him a disservice imo.

Anyone know when tickets for Sion at home go on sale?

Game is October 1st

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

We gonna be Iron like a Lion in Sion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I wonder is Gerrard trying to say something about this Liverpool team compared to his Liverpool team then.

https://instagram.com/p/7JF_hxnHv2/

That spine is why I cannot understand the lack of respect for Rafa from some elements of our fan base.

His transfer record was used as a stick to beat him with but just look at the players that he brought to the club.

It sickens me that some fans today defend Rodgers to the end yet wanted Rafa gone - some very vocal on this forum when anyone questions BR. I just don't understand it.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Could you imagine we got Suarez into that side....................................

The original plan was for Suarez to play alongside Torres, wasn't it? IIRC, Torres wanted proof of a top signing but assumed he was being lied too, thus submitted a transfer request. Unfortunately, just before Suarez was announced.

The spine hasn't been great in the team for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

That spine is why I cannot understand the lack of respect for Rafa from some elements of our fan base.

His transfer record was used as a stick to beat him with but just look at the players that he brought to the club.

It sickens me that some fans today defend Rodgers to the end yet wanted Rafa gone - some very vocal on this forum when anyone questions BR. I just don't understand it.

It sickens me that some people wouldn't give BR a fair shake right from the off purely because Rafa was treated harshly as some sort of act of revenge. Obviously over 3 years later I can understand that people want rid of BR now but some never even gave him a chance, that was pretty ****ty imo.

It sickens me that some people wouldn't give BR a fair shake right from the off purely because Rafa was treated harshly as some sort of act of revenge. Obviously over 3 years later I can understand that people want rid of BR now but some never even gave him a chance, that was pretty ****ty imo.

I assume that you aren't suggesting that those opinions negatively impacted what he achieved?

If so, the simple fact is that they were ultimately right..

• Advertisement

I assume that you aren't suggesting that those opinions didn't negatively impact what he achieved?

If so, the simple fact is that they were ultimately right..

They were right, then they were wrong and then back right again, you never know there could yet still be another flip or flop to come.

Yeah Rodgers has been given a serious time from Liverpool fans. They have been incredibly patient tbh. Pretty sure he was still having his name sung v Arsenal.

I guess they're patient if you're judging by todays 'I want it all and I want it now' mentality of fans.

First season was poor until January when we signed Sturridge and Coutinho, we finished the season very well and it was encouraging after the poor start.

Second season, well I don't really need to elaborate it was a fantastic season, filled with superb flowing football, demolishing sides for fun, ultimately we were pipped but were basically a slip away from winning a PL title, that would have been the stuff of dreams, so close yet so agonisingly far away.

Third season, very poor start, great run in the middle sees us fancying ourselves to get top 4 with about 6 games left, terrible defeat to United and capitulation after that, that's when BR starting using up some of the goodwill he earned the previous season, not all of it though.

4 games in, 1 loss has really heaped the pressure on but not a catastrophic start by any means.

So that's why I don't think the fans have been overly patient, it's not like he has stank the place out for 3 years.

I guess they're patient if you're judging by todays 'I want it all and I want it now' mentality of fans.

First season was poor until January when we signed Sturridge and Coutinho, we finished the season very well and it was encouraging after the poor start.

Second season, well I don't really need to elaborate it was a fantastic season, filled with superb flowing football, demolishing sides for fun, ultimately we were pipped but were basically a slip away from winning a PL title, that would have been the stuff of dreams, so close yet so agonisingly far away.

Third season, very poor start, great run in the middle sees us fancying ourselves to get top 4 with about 6 games left, terrible defeat to United and capitulation after that, that's when BR starting using up some of the goodwill he earned the previous season, not all of it though.

4 games in, 1 loss has really heaped the pressure on but not a catastrophic start by any means.

So that's why I don't think the fans have been overly patient, it's not like he has stank the place out for 3 years.

How much more patient do you want? Hand jobs from the stand?

He gets plenty of ovations from the crowd and as I said still has his name sung. Not bad for the money spent and nothing to show for it.

If and when he loses those fans it's curtains

Two key factors in my view:

- perception of style of play and preference for how the game should be played;
    - media influence;

The second factor colours the first also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How much more patient do you want? Hand jobs from the stand?

He gets plenty of ovations from the crowd and as I said still has his name sung. Not bad for the money spent and nothing to show for it.

If and when he loses those fans it's curtains

If he can keep up this fable until Christmas and do well - no one will care once he is winning matches...

With the tough run up to then and if thing's don't tighten up (starting with United) he could well lose the fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The good run of form in the middle of the season though was not really accompanied by much improved football. There were only a couple of very good performances across the whole season, and it was so deflating to watch.

If performances don't improve this season, even if results are still keeping us in touch, I won't be fully enthused with things. There has to be a balance with style and substance, and since Suarez (specifically) has left there has been almost no style, and much less substance as well of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Does anyone think Rodgers has made enemies by the way he carried on last year and the year before. Not the biggest fan of Harry Redknapp, but I have never heard him or any other british manager criticise one of their own like harry did recently, saying that it was the worst Liverpool side he had seen in years.

On the Rafa thing, as a big Rafa fan, i can say i never wanted Brendan to fail, (i still have deleted from my memory and my knowledge of LFC the ******* clown that manages his country now.)
    What i will say that IMO Rafa was at the time a World Class Manager, Brendan is a long way from getting to where Rafa was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah Rodgers has been given a serious time from Liverpool fans. They have been incredibly patient tbh. Pretty sure he was still having his name sung v Arsenal.

His name was being sung early on against West Ham as well.

The 89/90 season review is on YouTube, well worth a watch! Biggest stand out game was watching them play Chelsea at the old Stamford Bridge (carpark included :P). Game was on live on Sports Saturday on RTE and Liverpool demolished them 5-2, some of the counter attacking football was breathtaking! They ripped Chelsea apart!

Molby could even afford to miss a penalty and it was all done with no Barnes on the pitch!

Just watched part 1 of this season review. It's a great watch. I wasn't old enough or didn't know enough about Liverpool back then but Liverpool played some excellent football back then.

Also, they need to bring back the handshake celebration.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two key factors in my view:

- perception of style of play and preference for how the game should be played;
    - media influence;

The second factor colours the first also.

Also, Rodgers isn't a foreign manager...if Rodgers was Italian or Spanish, the media would be on him like a ton of bricks. As it is, he is getting away with certain things. Rodgers plays a good media game; Rafa never did (not that it bothered me though).

brevity wrote: »
    Also, Rodgers isn't a foreign manager...if Rodgers was Italian or Spanish, the media would be on him like a ton of bricks. As it is, he is getting away with certain things. Rodgers plays a good media game; Rafa never did (not that it bothered me though).

Yep, I agree. All wrapped up in "media influence" imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not the biggest fan of Harry Redknapp, but I have never heard him or any other british manager criticise one of their own like harry did recently, saying that it was the worst Liverpool side he had seen in years.

I found it interesting that Harry Redknapp wanted Brendan Rodgers to be his assistant if he got the England job a few years back.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Does anyone think Rodgers has made enemies by the way he carried on last year and the year before. Not the biggest fan of Harry Redknapp, but I have never heard him or any other british manager criticise one of their own like harry did recently

Rodgers is Irishish, so not really one of their own, anyways what could he of done to piss off Harry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Rodgers is Irishish, so not really one of their own, anyways what could he of done to piss off Harry?

Superglued the windows of his car shut?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement