Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

murpho999 wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about that, nothing to do with LFC and probably benefited them.

I welcome players doing that tbh if it benefits LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

T-K-O wrote: »
    Funny that those who are really upset also want BR gone, strange that.

Well, I'm disappointed Sterling left as I want to keep our best players even though he acted the **** to get a move, but I am happy that BR is staying on. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

This idea he hasn't got the attitude to succeed is laughable. Up until the contract stuff started 6 months ago he was nothing but hard working and focused on the field. His first interview with City hardly shows a bad attitude. Thanks Kenny, Rafa and Brendan. For all those talking about his toxic attitude he has never said anything remotely disrespectful, only that he wanted to win things.
    Raheem Sterling admitted he was delighted to finally become a Manchester City player and says he excited by the prospect of playing alongside new team-mates he describes as ‘world class’.

The 20-year-old agreed a five-year contract with the Blues with the deal becoming a British transfer record for an English player and while setting a new Club record in the process.

“It’s a good feeling and this is really happy time for me and my family,” said Sterling. “I’m just glad it’s all over and done with and I can’t wait to get on the training field.

“The thing that excites me the most is the world class squad we have and knowing we have a team that is capable of winning things year in, year out. The more quality players that are around you, the more quality it brings out in you so I can’t wait to get started and play alongside them.

Sterling, who will wear the No.7 shirt for City, revealed he’d spoken with Joe Hart recently about the Club and that the England keeper had given the Club a glowing reference.

“I spoke to Joe briefly on the last England trip,” he said. “He just told me what a really good football club this is and how nice the fans are – nothing too serious, but it was a bit of a heads up.

I’ve looked around the new training ground and the facilities here are top class – there’s everything you need here to take you to the next level so there’s no excuses!

“It has been a long journey from QPR and I’d like to thank a few people who have helped me along the way.

“I’d like to thank Rafa Benitez for taking me to Liverpool as a 15 year-old – that was a massive step for me and a new challenge. Also to Kenny Dalglish for showing such faith in me and putting me in at such a young age.

“I want to thank Brendan Rodgers for giving me a chance and an opportunity in the first team, giving me my full debut – against City funnily enough – and giving me a real chance to cement a place in the first team and show the world my talents.

“Finally, I’d also like to thank all the people around me – my mum and sisters, my management team and Aidy Ward for helping me focus and get where I am today. I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's only after he is gone I realise what we had, and we have just lost. 99% of the top players haven't had 2 double figure goal scoring seasons at 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well, I'm disappointed Sterling left as I want to keep our best players even though he acted the **** to get a move, but I am happy that BR is staying on. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I feel on the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The club needs to give the fans a lift I feel with another quality signing along with benteke if he is to be signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

kippy wrote: »
    Wages are still outrageous.

They have gone ridiculous. Barnes who was the best player in the league 25 years ago was on 10k a week and now sterling who has a lot of potential but wouldn't be in the top 10 to 20 players in the league is on a supposed 200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I remember people giving out stink about pre Christmad 13, when he came back into the team.

What impressed me about him moreso then was how he built up his strength, was well ablebto hold up the ball and turn to go on the counter, he was nearly a target man but in Rodgers type way.

Last year was a bit disappointing but barring Phil, we could say that about them all.

Anyway, just buy a striker and I don't think we'll miss him that much.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If we were buying a top class striker to replace Sterling it would be great. But instead it will be Benteke. Very disapointing but Clyne,Milner,Origi & Firmino are great additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

NukaCola wrote: »

Disappointed yes but certain posters are going on like we lost a torres / Suarez. We haven't. We sold potential for 50 million. IMO both clubs will be happy with that deal.

A striker and a DM and we are stronger than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jaysus that Sterling transfer came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

What options are there for a realistic proven goalscorer that can be bought for for 40 mil or less (assuming that's roughly what the club are willing to spend).

Lacazette?

There aren't a lot of viable options right now for a proven world class striker that's interested in joining for that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andy Carroll for £35m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This idea he hasn't got the attitude to succeed is laughable. Up until the contract stuff started 6 months ago he was nothing but hard working and focused on the field. His first interview with City hardly shows a bad attitude. Thanks Kenny, Rafa and Brendan. For all those talking about his toxic attitude he has never said anything remotely disrespectful, only that he wanted to win things.

Well, yeah, thats kinda the point - up until the spotlight and expectation was solely on him, his focus was good. Under the microscope, he quickly took several steps backwards and his performances crumbled.

He's just moved for 49 million pounds. He's the most expensive English player of all time. Thats quite a microscope to be under! Anything other than hitting the ground running and the pressure and criticism will be pretty immense. Doesn't matter that he's only a 20 year old with potential. He has a world class price tag, he'll be judged as a world class player would be. Remember Carroll joining us. Remember Bent at Spurs. Even Torres at Chelsea. After not living up to the expectations of their prices, they got absolutely torn apart by the media.

This isn't about being poisonous or disrespectful, this is a question of if he has the mentality to shoulder expectation and exceed it. Some guys do, some guys don't. Last year doesn't present the most positive sign, but we'll see in 6 months how it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

MD1990 wrote: »
    If we were buying a top class striker to replace Sterling it would be great. But instead it will be Benteke. Very disapointing but Clyne,Milner,Origi & Firmino are great additions.

Who do you think we should go for? I'm not keen on Benteke namely because I don't feel he'd suit or style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Is Reus being unveiled tomorrow?

It's happening!
    We are "preparing a bid"!
    Ready to splash the Sterling on him!
    Rodgers' no.1 target!
    He's open to the move!

0CR5NSF.gif

fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sterling some to Hart about city at the start of June, clearly sorted with the player a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sterling some to Hart about city at the start of June, clearly sorted with the player a long time ago

Absolutely that deal was in place months and there is little or nothing the club couldve done. His agent and him then did their thing to push the move through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I was a amazed when people here seemed to think that we would be signing Firmino and Benteke while also keeping Sterling. It's pretty clear that Firmino was ALWAYS going to be Sterling's replacement - said as much weeks ago.

magma69 wrote: »
    Who do you think we should go for? I'm not keen on Benteke namely because I don't feel he'd suit or style of play.
    Aubameyang would be top of my list or would try & get Lacazette instead. Both difficult but maybe possible if we offered big transfer fee & wages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In order of hotness Reus, Lacazette, Pedro then Benteke

Seen Batshuayi from Marseille 5 or 6 times last season. We probably have enough young players but he looks a fantastic player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Does anyone else feel that the owners already spent the sterling money ?

Some of the comments are just bizarre. One person said he was fine with Suarez and even Mascherano (the same player who walked out on our team) leaving, but apparently Sterling has some how crossed the line.
    "The more quality players that are around you, the more quality it brings out in you so I can't wait to get started and play alongside them."
    "The world-class players that are here and a squad that are capable of winning things year in, year out,"
    It's clear that Sterling has left for EXACTLY the same reasons as Suarez and Mascherano. They all want to play at bigger clubs and win trophies. Why hang around for another season of broken promises and Europa League football?

What broken promises?
    You sound a tad bunny boiler ex girlfriend ish who was dumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

In order of hotness Reus, Lacazette, Pedro then Benteke

Even though I'll go crazy if we sign Reus or Pedro, they're still not the striker we need badly.

I'd love to know what the committee are talking about with Villa as it's clear they won't sell for anything less than the buyout clause. Seems like they're wasting time, when they should be sticking a bid in for Lacazette or someone else on the list.

Some of the comments are just bizarre. One person said he was fine with Suarez and even Mascherano (the same player who walked out on our team) leaving, but apparently Sterling has some how crossed the line.

Suarez pretty much got us to 2nd place single handedly. What did Sterling contribute to the team, other than a handful of decent performances? He was absolute dogsh*t in the big games against Utd, Arsenal and Villa last year; in fact he was anonymous from about January onwards when City started to sniff him out. At least Suarez knuckled down after his tantrums and had the best season of his life, while giving us something we hadn't achieved for about 5 years. Mascherano also helped bring us to 2nd place, and many good runs in the CL.

Augeo wrote: »
    What broken promises?
    You sound a tad bunny boiler ex girlfriend ish who was dumped.
    Henry in an open letter promised that the FSG takeover wasn't about money - it was about winning. Other than a very minor league cup victory - we've seen very little of that promise.

Mascherano actually went on strike & refused to play vs Man City. Probably cost us money with his transfer fee too.

• Advertisement

The only thing that annoys me with Sterling is how he behaved the last few weeks and all the garbage with his agent.

The guy is leaving for a better club capable of actually winning things, at the same time he is getting 5 times what he is getting here and almost twice our biggest offer. All that and we are getting a whopping fee.

I dont know what people are expecting. I suppose a bit of loyalty would be nice but ultimately its about success and wages. The last time we won the league he wasn't born. Our last major trophy was 10 years ago and the the way the English/European game is now thats unlikely to change for us unless its totally unexpected.

Also people saying he's not great etc are showing themselves up. Its clear this guy has real quality and while its not certain he'll go on to be "world class" personally I think he'll be excellent at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Mr.H wrote: »
    No surprise you have another person who agrees with you

Issue is that we are/where the 5th highest for wages last season iirc. I think that is teh reason this "on par" thing came about with finishing 5th. If you spend the most on wages you should finish the highest. Thats the theory, but we know thats not reality. If it was then "in theory" if we paid Sterling 200k a week then he would go on to score 20-30 goals next season. Of course thats ridiculous and disproves any "theory".

But to a degree it does make sense. Maybe we do need to start spending bigger.

We did this whole thing of paying players on merit. Paying modest wages to start and uping the wages on performance. Great idea that should be kept on. BUT............ If a special talent comes along ie: Higguian or Rues, then maybe we should splash the cash and pay them a "marquee wage". It should be easy to explain to other players in the squad that having a marquee name will only help them to perform better therefore potentially increasing their wage through performance.

Last year we where maybe the 5th/6th best team to be fair. We where not better than the top 4 and we where equal with Spurs. We finished where we deserved to finish.

But onwards and upwards. Tough season ahead and we need to hit the ground running. I expect big things from last years recruits or else their career high will be short lived

no to Higuain please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

murpho999 wrote: »
    Liverpool have got a lot of cash in the bank but at present our team and squad is weaker.

To be honest i dont think this is correct... we have brought in Clyne, Firminio, Origi and Milner...and hopefully we buy another striker too. I think it is stronger.. even with Gerrard gone too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Had no problem with Suarez' departure. One of the top three players in the world should be competing at the absolute highest level and we weren't that. Mascherano, I was only disappointed with how he went about trying to leave, not so much him wanting out given the state of things at the time.

Both those players had shown over multiple seasons what they were capable of, Sterling has not. After being given chances which he likely wouldn't have got in most teams, he, a 20 year old, refused a 100k a week contract despite achieving the square root of fcuk all in the game to force a move to a rival team (yes, yes, a rival team). His constant, changing, half-arsed excuses made a tool out of himself in the media.

Whole thing just came across as an impressional, egotistical, money grabbing young footballer being taken advantage of by an unspeakable 'guy'.

It's clear that Sterling has left for EXACTLY the same reasons as Suarez and Mascherano. They all want to play at bigger clubs and win trophies. Why hang around for another season of broken promises and Europa League football?

Just gonna go off on a tangent and raise my grievances with the term 'bigger club'.

This gets thrown around a lot, but as with 'world class', it's quite arbitrary and it's meaning will change depending on the person.

One person could say Nottingham Forest are a bigger club than Southampton because they've won two European Cups, more league titles. Someone else will say Southampton because they are obviously in a far better position right now.

So yeah, I wouldn't consider City to be a bigger club than Liverpool. LFC and Man Utd are head and shoulders above any other clubs in England despite Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal being more successful in recent times.

Henry in an open letter promised that the FSG takeover wasn't about money - it was about winning. Other than a very minor league cup victory - we've seen very little of that promise.

FSG are playing a blinder on the money side of things.

But since the takeover, and to be fair it started before they took over, we as a club have been sleepwalking into mediocrity.

They've done such a good job on spin that people are excited with saving money on wages and openly accept that top 4 is above expectations. Are they the only owners in our history to convince us of that?

I know the league is competitive, and a lot is outside their control, but barring something totally unexpected we will win nothing major under FSG if we continue with our football strategy.

Not knocking them, they are doing a good job on the finance side of things but we wont be winning any major trophies anytime soon. The alternative is probably live outside our means and thats dangerous also. Or sell up to a billionaire which also has its drawbacks.

Suarez pretty much got us to 2nd place single handedly. What did Sterling contribute to the team, other than a handful of decent performances? He was absolute dogsh*t in the big games against Utd, Arsenal and Villa last year; in fact he was anonymous from about January onwards when City started to sniff him out. At least Suarez knuckled down after his tantrums and had the best season of his life, while giving us something we hadn't achieved for about 5 years. Mascherano also helped bring us to 2nd place, and many good runs in the CL.
    It's hilarious how opinion on here seems to shift in order to accommodate public opinion. That season when we finished 2nd and were riding high, the majority of people here seemed to think it was just United fans stirring the pot by proclaiming that we were a one player team. After last season, opinion has shifted and the common opinion seems to be that United fans were correct after all - Suarez was solely responsible for getting us 2nd. With Sterling now out the door, it seems like that opinion has solidified and everyone is more than happy to whitewash the season where Sterling was our second best player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It's hilarious how opinion on here seems to shift in order to accommodate public opinion. That season when we finished 2nd and were riding high, the majority of people here seemed to think it was just United fans stirring the pot by proclaiming that we were a one player team. After last season, opinion has shifted and the common opinion seems to be that United fans were correct after all - Suarez was solely responsible for getting us 2nd. With Sterling now out the door, it seems like that opinion has solidified and everyone is more than happy to whitewash the season where Sterling was our second best player.

I really don't think that's true.

Sturridge was clearly our 2nd best player in 13/14. His role in that season is very underated. We get him fully fit & we have on of the best strikers in the PL.

Sturridge was clearly our 2nd best player in 13/14. His role in that season is very underated. We get him fully fit & we have on of the best strikers in the PL.

Will we ever get him fully fit? No ones managed it yet.

Just gonna go off on a tangent and raise my grievances with the term 'bigger club'.

This gets thrown around a lot, but as with 'world class', it's quite arbitrary and it's meaning will change depending on the person.
    I am a Liverpool fan, so I admit I am playing devil's advocate when I use the term. But the fact is, there is a generation of footballers who are growing up who know nothing about the history of our club. The unfortunate fact of the modern game is that the likes of Man City and Chelsea have bought their way to the top of the European game (at the expense of ourselves). The likes of Raheem Sterling and the stars of tomorrow especially just have no concept that we are in any way a big club anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This "fully fit" narrative is going on a long time now. It's looking more and more like a pipe dream.

If it was a car we were talking about it'd be dumped as soon as its half working at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I am a Liverpool fan, so I admit I am playing devil's advocate when I use the term. But the fact is, there is a generation of footballers who are growing up who know nothing about the history of our club. The unfortunate fact of the modern game is that the likes of Man City and Chelsea have bought their way to the top of the European game (at the expense of ourselves). The likes of Raheem Sterling and the stars of tomorrow especially just have no concept that we are in any way a big club anymore.

Because it is irrelevant for them.

Champs league, big stadium, chance to win the league and crazy wages = Big club.

Past glories are only cherished by fans, with every passing year that diminishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mada999 wrote: »
    To be honest i dont think this is correct... we have brought in Clyne, Firminio, Origi and Milner...and hopefully we buy another striker too. I think it is stronger.. even with Gerrard gone too..

That group of Clyne, Firminio Orihi and Milner, also included Sterling and that group is now weaker as he's gone.

You can't deny from a footballing point of view the squad is now weaker than it was yesterday and we would have been stronger had he stayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

(Liverpool have got a lot of cash in the bank but at present our team and squad is weaker.) quote

I don't think there is that much cash in the bank, I think 32 for benteke when you consider 35 for sterling and that will be the end of this summer s first team transfers, add up how much is spent already and the fact of how much is being spent on the stadium and I could not see any other big transfer

I think Sturridge is a very, very good player. However, I said it at the time and I will say it now - Sterling was the player that really made us tick that season. Statistics belied the massive work rate he had and the deeper position he played in.

It's hilarious how opinion on here seems to shift in order to accommodate public opinion. That season when we finished 2nd and were riding high, the majority of people here seemed to think it was just United fans stirring the pot by proclaiming that we were a one player team. After last season, opinion has shifted and the common opinion seems to be that United fans were correct after all - Suarez was solely responsible for getting us 2nd.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's clear now that Suarez not only got the best out of himself, but had an incredible influence to get the best out of the players around him.
    With Sterling now out the door, it seems like that opinion has solidified and everyone is more than happy to whitewash the season where Sterling was our second best player.

Sterling wasn't our 2nd, 3rd or even 4th best player that season. He played brilliantly, but there were better performing players like Sturridge, Gerrard and Henderson.

mada999 wrote: »

Milner improves our Midfield with Gerrard gone.
    Clyne Improves RB.
    Origi/Ings improves our dismal striking options but are rotation/backup players anyway.
    Firmino, you would hope, can match Sterling in terms of goals and chances created but thats not a given.

We may be slightly stronger but we need a big improvement not just a slight one. We fell woefully short last season.

Hopefully Markovic/Moreno/Lovren/Lallana to improve on difficult debut seasons and hopefully we'll see more of Sturridge.

2 quality striker/forwards would make all the difference. It will be interesting to see who we bring in but if it turns out to be Benteke and thats it then we'll fall short again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Today has been a day of no little significance - just figured out that mada999 and murpho999 are separate posters. Halcyon days these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Sterling left for the same reasons he had initially come to Liverpool in the first place; money & success.

While the move has obviously got a few backs up, and I agree he acted like a dick, there's little point blaming him. Sterling did what Suarez, Torres, Masch, Alonso etc had all done before, moved for ambition.

Until Liverpool's place in the grand scheme of things changes, the cycle will repeat and the next Sterling or Torres will head off to wherever it is that offering better money and a better chance of success.

Personally, I hope he fails miserably, but that's neither here nor there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Sterling left for the same reasons he had initially come to Liverpool in the first place; money & success.

While the move has obviously got a few backs up, and I agree he acted like a dick, there's little point blaming him. Sterling did what Suarez, Torres, Masch, Alonso etc had all done before, moved for ambition.

Until Liverpool's place in the grand scheme of things changes, the cycle will repeat and the next Sterling or Torres will head off to wherever it is that offering better money and a better chance of success.

Personally, I hope he fails miserably, but that's neither here nor there

It is quiet obvious the deal was done months ago, his wages were announced before the deal was agreed with the club, he had some very poor performance s last season and at a club with a bigger squad he would have been looking at time on the bench, hopefully he has to get used to it, counting his extra money could never compare to becoming the best in the world at his job and this move will jeopardise his progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

sword1 wrote: »
    It is quiet obvious the deal was done months ago, his wages were announced before the deal was agreed with the club, he had some very poor performance s last season and at a club with a bigger squad he would have been looking at time on the bench, hopefully he has to get used to it, counting his extra money could never compare to becoming the best in the world at his job and this move will jeopardise his progress

Like any player moving to a better side, it may jeopardise his progress or it may not. It's sink or swim time for him

Scott Sinclair seems to be the example people are pointing to when making this point. Aside from Sinclair and Sterling being both English and black, I see little other similarities.

Sterling is on a different level to Sinclair, has performed at a higher level in a vastly better side and has held his own in what at one stage was one of the best sides in the league. Sinclair for his part was a decent player at a midtable side.

It's not unreasonable to say that sterling has the potential to be one of the best English players around. Nobody has ever said that about Scott Sinclair.

Wayne Rooney I think would be a more accurate comparison. Rooney's move to United at such a young age, and for such a big fee could have seen him stagnate, but Rooney rose to the challenge and progressed. There's every chance Sterling will do likewise, but that's down to him, sink or swim.

Irrespective of how he does, the opportunity to progress and develop at City is there for him to take, playing at a higher level and with better players. To say the move will jeopardise his progress is wrong imo. It could, but it doesn't have to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement