Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

magma69 wrote: »
    What options are there for a realistic proven goalscorer that can be bought for for 40 mil or less (assuming that's roughly what the club are willing to spend).

Lacazette?

Benteke

If we refuse to pay the extra 2/3m to meet the release clause and United swoop in and get him will people here be happy?

We need to stop fooling around and just pay it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

8-10 wrote: »
    Benteke

If we refuse to pay the extra 2/3m to meet the release clause and United swoop in and get him will people here be happy?

We need to stop fooling around and just pay it

I have a feeling we're scouring other places before we have to resort to Benteke's extortionate release fee.

Also, I have a question. If Benteke hands in a transfer request, does the release fee still apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Vicxas wrote: »
    I have a feeling we're scouring other places before we have to resort to Benteke's extortionate release fee.

Also, I have a question. If Benteke hands in a transfer request, does the release fee still apply?

Yes. It still applies. Benteke just loses out on some money from Villa for his loyalty bonus. Probably a million or two. Which is why you so rarely see players do it. If they can force the move through in the media, they still get their payoff.

A bit like why so few managers quit nowadays. Better to be fired and get the compo. Sure didnt Capello just get over 10 million in a payout from Russia? Crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I love how Sterling in his statement went out of his way to thank the LFC fans.
    Lovely how he also didn't mention his agent.

NOT.

Who in the name of jebus mentions their agents name in a welcome statement to a new club?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Comparing sterling to rooney is more realistic than sinclair alright. But rooney really was different gravey when he moved to united. Sterling was average to say the last last year where rooney had been possibly the best player of the last decade. He will spend alot of time on the bench next year and i wonder if he has the stomach to really dig in and fight for his place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

NukaCola wrote: »
    I know the league is competitive, and a lot is outside their control, but barring something totally unexpected we will win nothing major under FSG if we continue with our football strategy.

Are you talking about the management team?

I agree it would be an exceptional season like 13/14 for us to win the league but to win the League Cup, FA Cup or Europa League?

I think winning one of those cups is achievable with the players we have with the Europa being the biggest one due to 1) winning a major cup and 2) qualifying for the CL.

I have reservations about whether Rodgers is tactically adept to the European game the way say Benitez is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sterling would have been nuts to turn down City. Better wages, players, manager and a great chance to win major trophies, why would he turn them down?

Sterling would have been nuts to turn down City. Better wages, players, manager and a great chance to win major trophies, why would he turn them down?

Its true,

There's very little club loyalty anymore. I am not sorry he is gone, I don't think he'll be a bigger success than if he stayed at Liverpool. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Comparing sterling to rooney is more realistic than sinclair alright. But rooney really was different gravey when he moved to united. Sterling was average to say the last last year where rooney had been possibly the best player of the last decade. He will spend alot of time on the bench next year and i wonder if he has the stomach to really dig in and fight for his place

What?

Rooney hasn't been the best player of THIS last decade, let alone the one preceding his move to United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Its true,

There's very little club loyalty anymore. I am not sorry he is gone, I don't think he'll be a bigger success than if he stayed at Liverpool. But that's just my opinion.

Loyal to Liverpool, a kid from London who was bought at 15? Do yourself a favour.

Loyal to Liverpool, a kid from London who was bought at 15? Do yourself a favour.

I was referring in to footballers in general....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I know everyone is saying we need a marquee striker now that Sterling is gone, but is a striker really our most pressing position, I don't think so.
    If we go out and sign Benteke et al what message does that send to Sturridge (eh we have no faith in you ever getting fit, your not our No1 striker).

I don't think we will play 2 up top and most likely will be a 4231 formation next season. I firmly believe Fermino was bought as a like for like replacement for Sterling.At present we have 6 strikers on our books and until we shift some dead wood I can't see us buying anyone yet.
    I do think we will try shift (Borini, Lambert, Balotelli) & then be left with Sturridge (when ever he gets fit), Ings & Origi which is sufficient for the League and cups.

Maybe I'm talking pie in the sky here but that's my feeling on it.

Most probably line up next year when all players fit.

55a618141cc6b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I know everyone is saying we need a marquee striker now that Sterling is gone, but is a striker really our most pressing position, I don't think so.
    If we go out and sign Benteke et al what message does that send to Sturridge (eh we have no faith in you ever getting fit, your not our No1 striker).

I don't think we will play 2 up top and most likely will be a 4231 formation next season. I firmly believe Fermino was bought as a like for like replacement for Sterling.At present we have 6 strikers on our books and until we shift some dead wood I can't see us buying anyone yet.
    I do think we will try shift (Borini, Lambert, Balotelli) & then be left with Sturridge (when ever he gets fit), Ings & Origi which is sufficient for the League and cups.

55a618141cc6b.jpg
    Disagree hugely. We so so so badly need a striker. We realistically don't have any faith in Sturrudge being fit. He can't be upset by that with his Diaby-esque injury record. At the start of the window if we could only sign one position 99% of people would have said a striker for liverpool. Nothing has changed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

55a618141cc6b.jpg

Who cares? A striker has always been the number 1 priority and if we don't sign one then the transfer window would have been a massive disappointment.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Disagree hugely. We so so so badly need a striker. We realistically don't have any faith in Sturrudge being fit. He can't be upset by that with his Diaby-esque injury record. At the start of the window if we could only sign one position 99% of people would have said a striker for liverpool. Nothing has changed there.
    Who cares? A striker has always been the number 1 priority and if we don't sign one then the transfer window would have been a massive disappointment.

Yes but whats the point on blowing £32.5m on Benteke for the sake of it if no better choices available ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-losing-appeal-far-9658846

shows the effect of losing Gerrard. Maybe it might push FSG to try & buy a really top class striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Yes but whats the point on blowing £32.5m on Benteke for the sake of it if no better choices available ??
    Hardly what we are doing though. He would be bought as young goalscorer. When was the last time Sturridge was fit and in form? Last August. It would be so negligent not to get in a starting striker. If Sturridge is firing on all cylinders we may still need a different option if teams sit deep or we want to go two up top. A first team striker is a must imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we go out and sign Benteke et al what message does that send to Sturridge

Get fit and stay fit?

And retire from international duty! :pac:

I think Sturridge is a very, very good player. However, I said it at the time and I will say it now - Sterling was the player that really made us tick that season. Statistics belied the massive work rate he had and the deeper position he played in.

Wait a second, you are claiming Sterling was the player that really made us tick in season 2013/2014?

And you said it at the time?

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Until we qualify for CL football on a regular basis we aren't a current big club. We're probably the most attractive club in England outside the top 4 though, which still isn't a bad position to be considering our league form of the last 6 years or so.

We wont sign ready made world class players, it's unlikely, we try and sign the next big thing and develop them, Suarez and Torres prime examples but Firmino as well, and Coutinho and Sturridge on a different type of level.

We're battling the odds and that has even got harder again with Arsenal and United spending big money again. Finishing second abd being so close was remarkable for a club like us, a lot of stars aligned for us.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eh, Sturridge may not like it but his lack of production last year requires us to buy a number one striker. He is not due back until the end of September also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Everyone said we needed a striker at Christmas and it never happened leaving us with little chance of champion league, we do need some out though, give balotelli, borini and Lambert in a swap for benteke

This "fully fit" narrative is going on a long time now. It's looking more and more like a pipe dream.

If it was a car we were talking about it'd be dumped as soon as its half working at this stage.

He looked fairly fit for lots of 2013/2014 and for some of the season before, hardly unrealistic to expect similar going forward.

Van Persie comes to mind.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188894-reds-confirm-new-boys-squad-numbers
    wrote:

Liverpool Football Club can confirm the squad numbers that have been allocated to four of their summer signings.

Roberto Firmino has been handed the No.11 jersey, while Nathaniel Clyne will wear No.2 for the Reds.

Joe Gomez will sport No.12 and Adam Bogdan is the club's new No.34.

Meanwhile, Divock Origi, who has started life as a Liverpool player one year on from signing for the club following the conclusion of his loan deal with Lille, will be No.27.

Earlier this month, James Milner's squad number was confirmed as 7, while Danny Ings' is No.28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

55a618141cc6b.jpg

I don't think it matters what message it sends to Sturridge apart from stay fit to stay in the team, which he definitely can't be trusted to do.

We absolutely do need another striker and a number one striker at that with Ings and Origi as back up.

The sooner we get the Benteke deal done, the better.

.......... & then be left with Sturridge (when ever he gets fit), Ings & Origi which is sufficient for the League and cups.

Can see it happening but it's a huge risk, not unlikely for two of that three to be injured at any one time and than you are looking at a front 3 type thing of 2 of Coutinho, Lallana & Fermino left to feed Ings or Origi for a spell of games, might well work but it would be good to have a Benteke type there too (1 in 2 PL striker that's capable of putting ball in net).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

NukaCola wrote: »
    FSG are playing a blinder on the money side of things.

But since the takeover, and to be fair it started before they took over, we as a club have been sleepwalking into mediocrity.

They've done such a good job on spin that people are excited with saving money on wages and openly accept that top 4 is above expectations. Are they the only owners in our history to convince us of that?

I know the league is competitive, and a lot is outside their control, but barring something totally unexpected we will win nothing major under FSG if we continue with our football strategy.

Not knocking them, they are doing a good job on the finance side of things but we wont be winning any major trophies anytime soon. The alternative is probably live outside our means and thats dangerous also. Or sell up to a billionaire which also has its drawbacks.

Where have "spun" anything in relation to the celebration of wage restraint? Links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ever since the agent fiasco I have had no interest in keeping sterling at the club tbh, head wasn't in it from then on so am glad we got a huge fee and moved him on. However, the deal only becomes a good deal if we spend the money wisely.
    You could argue that firmino is his like for like replacement. Firmino is a cracking player and thunk he will fit in nicely and do well, i also believe lallana and markovic will have much improved second seasons with us. Imo the squad is already stronger than last season and thats before we shell out a load on at least one quality striker, ideally not benteke however but it looks like thats who it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

• Advertisement

Yep, 4 strikers is needed, we're starting to build squad depth so a 20 goal striker is a must, hope Sturridge comes back fit and see how Origi and Ings get on.

The other 3 will not be playing for us in August.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep, 4 strikers is needed, we're starting to build squad depth so a 20 goal striker is a must, hope Sturridge comes back fit and see how Origi and Ings get on.

The other 3 will not be playing for us in August.

Who are the other 3 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Augeo wrote: »
    Who are the other 3 ?

Lambert, Borini and Balotelli out

Ings, Origi, Benteke in

Disappointed to log in and see no pictures of Reus and the French bloke who's name I can never remember how to spell leaning against each other.

Sturridge has been at his best for us as a 2nd striker, to be honest.

With Suarez playing he was constantly operating in wide areas although he and Suarez would switch frequently.

He also looked fantastic in that one game with Balotelli against Spurs.

Ideal world - we sign Benteke who knocks in 15-20 goals and Sturridge stays fit. If he does, we know he will score goals. 15+ more from a 2nd forward/wide forward could well be enough for us to make top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eh, Sturridge may not like it but his lack of production last year requires us to buy a number one striker. He is not due back until the end of September also!

Agree with this. If we DIDN'T sign a striker to start games, what message would that send to Sturridge? That we're not a serious team after all and are likely to go backwards? If anything it could prompt Sturridge to start looking around for a move next summer if we don't progress (assuming he can regain fitness and form this season). All the top teams, or wannabe top teams, should have multiple options up front. As it stands, at the start of the season, we will have no 'top' striker available. That's small time. We need Lacazette in quick :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Could Balotelli and Benteke play together? Really not sure if we're going to be able to get rid of Mario and it'd be nice if he could actually offer something if he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Just not buying that a striker is all we need. A proper DM to shield the defence is still needed badly but I don't think Rodgers believes in the idea. In an ideal world someone like Carvalho would be bought but really that's no more likely than Reus.

If we can ship some dead wood out there should be funds for two players more, given Firmino and Clyne are largely covered by the Sterling money. That's assuming of course we don't let Villa take us to the cleaners for Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just look at Spurs last season, an in form striker, a top goalkeeper and not much else. The other spots are important but there's no alternative to a top striker.

Is Can still on holidays after the under 21's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just look at Spurs last season, an in form striker, a top goalkeeper and not much else. The other spots are important but there's no alternative to a top striker.

lol

If Benteke or whoever comes in Mario will be gone. Might have to do a Aqualani on it.

Carra did say 2 signings were a possibility, don't know how clued in he is with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

lol

What? They weren't a great team, but they had the essentials and did well, what's laughable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-losing-appeal-far-9658846

shows the effect of losing Gerrard. Maybe it might push FSG to try & buy a really top class striker

I think the two main things are;

1) Not long enough between trips. Just two years, whereas the last one came about 4 years after the previous.

2) Tuesday night game.

While losing Gerrad probably would have an impact, as well as not having a Suarez like player any more, I think the above two would probably effect it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

What about Erikson running the show from midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This one gives a good scale of size, doubt those people will still get Sky tv now

JS68179041.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is Can still on holidays after the under 21's?

Yes, as is Ilori. I suspect they will both play in the European friendlies, as with Couts and Firms...

fyfe79 wrote: »
    What about Erikson running the show from midfield?

Eriksen drifts in and out of games like no man's business. Great knack for popping up with late winners, but I've never seen him control a game. He's overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

If United sign Lewandowski and we sign Christian f*cking Benteke, I will truly despair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

lol

That's a great debate.

Sign me up for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Anybody reckon ilori is in with a shout of first team action with Liverpool this season? I still have my doubts that the lad is big enough or strong enough for the epl. Love to be wrong on this , but i just cant see it happening for him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement