Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

5starpool wrote: »
    €15m? That's a lot for someone with only 1 top flight appearance, and that as a 17 year old late substitute. I had assumed the fee would be 1/3 of that or something.

Thats the la masia tax on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

£10m less than we paid for Markovic so maybe the club are learning when buying potential.

Marko played games, scored and won things though. I see this transfer as closer to Alberto and not the Moreno kind. The Luis kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is he better than Djimi?

What? Does he have two champions league medals do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Putting your faith in a big money teenager who has barely played top level football when your job is probably on the line is quite mental.

That said, I've only heard great things about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Barca clause could be the most worrying. If he becomes a sensational player at Liverpool, they can choose to buy him back?
    Is that right?
    I know Barca have started adding that clause in with a few of their younger players, as it's better than sending them out on loan, but do they get to choose when and if he's to be sold? (Unless he's useless).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

So we pay 15 million and if he works out we have to give him back,alot of risk for little reward,what a load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would expect that means Markovic will be off on loan, or sold.

Welcome Adama!

CCCe37HWYAI4qZa.jpg

na dawg.... you gotta go retro on that!

bgorig10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tbh id rather see teixiera get game time than signing another plyer that pushes him back further in the pecking order, think he has thr talent to play first team foorball with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Allyall wrote: »
    The Barca clause could be the most worrying. If he becomes a sensational player at Liverpool, they can choose to buy him back?
    Is that right?
    I know Barca have started adding that clause in with a few of their younger players, as it's better than sending them out on loan, but do they get to choose when and if he's to be sold? (Unless he's useless).

Also rumours that they want a first option clause on Coutinho as well.

That's a lot to give up for a 19 year old with 1 senior game who has the likes of Ibe already here ahead of him who play in the same position.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is that right?

Who knows. It could be a clause that they can choose to buy him back in 2 years for 25m, or it could just be a first option if he is leaving (pulling a Sterling and refusing a new contract for example). If it is the former hopefully it's at a decent level, but it probably wouldn't be more than double what we pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

kop77 wrote: »
    na dawg.... you gotta go retro on that!

bgorig10.jpg

................... hipster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't understand this Traore purchase at all tbh. We hardly need a player in that position at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sword1 wrote: »
    So we pay 15 million and if he works out we have to give him back,alot of risk for little reward,what a load of ****

Really doubt the actual price is anything like that. 15m euros makes it 10m pounds, with that probably being the max possible. Considering his age and lack of first team experience, would expect that to be contingent on a set number of games played. If he does well enough, we pay up (not that bad a fee if thats the case), if he's another Luis Alberto (who I'm guessing had a similar clause given his limited playing time), then the price will be lower.

Is that right?

It's usually a 2 year buy back clause I think. doesn't necessarily mean the player has to go, but they'll be allowed to discuss terms under certain circumstances for a set fee, within that time period. We've done it a few times I believe, like with Antonio Barragan.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't understand this Traore purchase at all tbh. We hardly need a player in that position at this stage?

Only really makes sense if we're loaning/selling Markovic.

As it stands, for those positions we have Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Lallana (who I expect to be the main 4 rotating between the 3 spots), and then Markovic and to an extent Origi (can certainly cover there). Can't see us bringing in another guy for those positions without letting someone go, and Marko is the obvious one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

martyos121 wrote: »
    To put it in a good light, he's less than half as expensive as Andy Carroll was.

To put it in a bad light, Andy Carroll was twice as expensive as him.

more like a third, euro, pounds, etc. Also time, transfer inflation, maybe a 1/4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I haven't seen him play so going to reserve judgement on his ability for now.

What I will not reserve judgement on is the priority we seem to be putting on signing for different positions. Surely Centre Back should have been on the list somewhere this summer?

Other than that though I hope he's awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It looks like Rodgers is giving up on the defensive side and wants goals this season.

Looks like he is going all in on attack if that fails he's out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1-0-3-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Throwing more mud at a wall and hoping some of it sticks. Think that accurately sums up our transfer policy for some time now.

Throwing more mud at a wall and hoping some of it sticks. Think that accurately sums up our transfer policy for some time now.

To be honest I have very little problem with bringing in great prospective young talent. Quite often you make your money back, and you always have the chance of unearthing a star. Sterling has already justified this approach totally from a financial standpoint. Ibe is clearly worth many times what we paid for him too, and is only at the start of his career.

By all means go for kids - so long as you don't **** up buying the senior targets. That's where we've been doing badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Nope.

A DM as competition/understudy to Lucas should've been a bigger priority.

To be honest I have very little problem with bringing in great prospective young talent. Quite often you make your money back, and you always have the chance of unearthing a star. Sterling has already justified this approach totally from a financial standpoint. Ibe is clearly worth many times what we paid for him too, and is only at the start of his career.

By all means go for kids - so long as you don't **** up buying the senior targets. That's where we've been doing badly.

Quite different though targeting kids at Ibe/Sterling age and this kind of buy. Those are academy kids that are costing 500k. You can afford to fling loads of **** and hope some sticks. That is the whole model academy football is based on.

It is a different ball game paying huge relative fees for the likes of Markovic/Alberto/Traore etc.

Sweet mother of God...
    Even his opposition applauded him.
    Have to admire the Cojones on him to go for this :D
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11779971/Swedish-defender-commits-crime-against-football-with-hilarious-dive.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Did we really just spend €15M on a player whose team got relegated to the third tier of Spanish football :eek:

Have we learned nothing from signing Barcelona B rejects?

Did we really just spend €15M on a player whose team got relegated to the third tier of Spanish football :eek:

Doesn't sound so bad when it's in sterling £10million .....
    And that article above makes him sound like a great buy, but still as you said, very young.

|the|galgo| ‏@shockthegalgo 1 hr1 hour ago#Ibrahimovic is travelling to Istambul, he will sign a 3-year contract with #Galatasaray. Deal done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Been out all evening. Wait so we are signing this Traore lad? I just assumed it was going to be a loan. Isn't he meant to be extremely highly rated in the Barcelona youth system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hold on, what? Fifteen million??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SlickRic wrote: »
    Putting your faith in a big money teenager who has barely played top level football when your job is probably on the line is quite mental.

That said, I've only heard great things about him.

We often buy these type of players though, it's part of the model of the owners of the club, regardless of the manager.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Will this Traore lad be driving the bus so??

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Hold on, what? Fifteen million??

Im guessing its something like 6m or 7m pounds with 3 or 4 in conditional add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

€15m is £10m, deals for young players are heavily laden with add-ons to make up the fee so its probably not a huge financial outlay.
    What I don't like is a buy back clause, no way should we be developing a player for Barca who they can buy back when he's the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Isn't he meant to be extremely highly rated in the Barcelona youth system?
    He's surplus to requirements at Barcelona. If he was highly rated then he would have gotten his shot at the senior team last year (Munir and Sandro are the same age and are higher in the pecking order than him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

He's surplus to requirements at Barcelona. If he was highly rated then he would have gotten his shot at the senior team last year (Munir and Sandro are the same age and are higher in the pecking order than him).

Different type of player or is he similar to them?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Quite different though targeting kids at Ibe/Sterling age and this kind of buy. Those are academy kids that are costing 500k. You can afford to fling loads of **** and hope some sticks. That is the whole model academy football is based on.

It is a different ball game paying huge relative fees for the likes of Markovic/Alberto/Traore etc.

I'd put Markovic into another category to be honest, he counts more as a senior buy for that sort of money.

Alberto looks like he was 7m badly spent, hopefully this is better.

Yeah, totally agree that there's a difference between these and the 16 year olds.

It's a sliding scale though - at 19 you have a much better idea of where they're heading, so they cost a bit more. Still potentially huge dividends to be reaped if they come anywhere near reaching their potential. We've already seen how much money even very mediocre players can go for. Look at Conor Wickham moving for 9m pounds just this week for instance. I'd much rather take a punt on a kid who's exceptional for his age, with a massive ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Traore if his potential is realised will be as good as City think Sterling is going to be.

Or possibly not. Anyway They paid 49 million for Raheem and Liverpool paid the going rate for an average central midfielder in the Prem these days. We'll see who got the better deal over the next couple of seasons.

(that said as I said earlier its a weird one for the squad at this minute)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

It looks like Rodgers is giving up on the defensive side and wants goals this season.
    Looks like he is going all in on attack if that fails he's out of a job.

The same defensive side who under Rodgers watch have shipped almost 50 goals for the past 2 seasons. Marvelous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Wouldn't be surprised if Traore goes on loan to a smaller La Liga team this year. It might be a bit premature to bring him to England and at least he'll get plenty of minutes in the first team there, which he probably won't get here.

I'd put Markovic into another category to be honest, he counts more as a senior buy for that sort of money.

Alberto looks like he was 7m badly spent, hopefully this is better.

Yeah, totally agree that there's a difference between these and the 16 year olds.

It's a sliding scale though - at 19 you have a much better idea of where they're heading, so they cost a bit more. Still potentially huge dividends to be reaped if they come anywhere near reaching their potential. We've already seen how much money even very mediocre players can go for. Look at Conor Wickham moving for 9m pounds just this week for instance. I'd much rather take a punt on a kid who's exceptional for his age, with a massive ceiling.

Coutinho was about that age when we bought him? More experience at a higher level though.

Mind boggling 32 players in 3 years under Rodgers if Traore signs for around £300m+

Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Oussama Assaidi
    Nuri Sahin
    Samed Yesil
    Daniel Sturridge
    Philippe Coutinho
    Luis Alberto
    Iago Aspas
    Simon Mignolet
    Kolo Touré
    Aly Cissokho
    Mamadou Sakho
    Tiago Ilori
    Victor Moses
    Rickie Lambert
    Adam Lallana
    Emre Can
    Lazar Markovic
    Dejan Lovren
    Divick Origi
    Javier Manquillo
    Alberto Moreno
    Mario Balotelli
    Joe Gomez
    Adam Bogdan
    Danny Ings
    James Milner
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Roberto Firmino
    Christian Benteke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

rob316 wrote: »
    €15m is £10m, deals for young players are heavily laden with add-ons to make up the fee so its probably not a huge financial outlay.
    What I don't like is a buy back clause, no way should we be developing a player for Barca who they can buy back when he's the real deal.

Let's be brutally honest here, Barca could buy any one of our players if they wanted anyway. I see no problem with getting the benefits of having one of their (supposed) best talents on our books for the next ~5 years provided the clause is big. But clause or no clause, they'll buy him back if he develops well.

And we're not the only ones in this regard; I guarantee you Bellerin will feck off to Barca in the next 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He wouldn't be the first and wont be the last player Barca sell from La Masia and have to buy back later.
    La Masia players aren't really making the step up to the first team much lately, Adama is probably eager to go.

Mind boggling 32 players in 3 years under Rodgers if Traore signs for around £300m+

Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Oussama Assaidi
    Nuri Sahin
    Samed Yesil
    Daniel Sturridge
    Philippe Coutinho
    Luis Alberto
    Iago Aspas
    Simon Mignolet
    Kolo Touré
    Aly Cissokho
    Mamadou Sakho
    Tiago Ilori
    Victor Moses
    Rickie Lambert
    Adam Lallana
    Emre Can
    Lazar Markovic
    Dejan Lovren
    Divick Origi
    Javier Manquillo
    Alberto Moreno
    Mario Balotelli
    Joe Gomez
    Adam Bogdan
    Danny Ings
    James Milner
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Roberto Firmino
    Christian Benteke

Rafa bought about the same if not more.

Strange criticism tbh.

Didn't see the 300 million part, sorry.

Jaysus, a lot of players signed that didn't even really play.

Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Oussama Assaidi
    Nuri Sahin
    Samed Yesil
    Daniel Sturridge
    Philippe Coutinho
    Luis Alberto
    Iago Aspas
    Simon Mignolet
    Kolo Touré
    Aly Cissokho
    Mamadou Sakho
    Tiago Ilori
    Victor Moses
    Rickie Lambert
    Adam Lallana
    Emre Can
    Lazar Markovic
    Dejan Lovren
    Divick Origi
    Javier Manquillo
    Alberto Moreno
    Mario Balotelli
    Joe Gomez
    Adam Bogdan
    Danny Ings
    James Milner
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Roberto Firmino
    Christian Benteke

£300m + for Traore, don't think we will ever recoup that.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Fabio Borini Flop
    Joe Allen Sucess
    Oussama Assaidi Sold for a profit
    Nuri Sahin Flop
    Samed Yesil Flop
    Daniel Sturridge Success
    Philippe Coutinho Major Success
    Luis Alberto Unknown
    Iago Aspas Flop
    Simon Mignolet Success
    Kolo Touré Success
    Aly Cissokho OK
    Mamadou Sakho Success
    Tiago Ilori Still has potential
    Victor Moses Flop
    Rickie Lambert Flop
    Adam Lallana Could be a success
    Emre Can Success
    Lazar Markovic Flop
    Dejan Lovren Flop
    Divick Origi TBD
    Javier Manquillo Flop
    Alberto Moreno Success
    Mario Balotelli Flop
    Joe Gomez
    Adam Bogdan
    Danny Ings
    James Milner
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Roberto Firmino
    Christian Benteke

My opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fabio Borini
    Joe Allen
    Oussama Assaidi
    Nuri Sahin
    Samed Yesil
    Daniel Sturridge
    Philippe Coutinho
    Luis Alberto
    Iago Aspas
    Simon Mignolet
    Kolo Touré
    Aly Cissokho
    Mamadou Sakho
    Tiago Ilori
    Victor Moses
    Rickie Lambert
    Adam Lallana
    Emre Can
    Lazar Markovic
    Dejan Lovren
    Divick Origi
    Javier Manquillo
    Alberto Moreno
    Mario Balotelli
    Joe Gomez
    Adam Bogdan
    Danny Ings
    James Milner
    Nathaniel Clyne
    Roberto Firmino
    Christian Benteke

If you're counting Yesil you should count Allan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Im guessing its something like 6m or 7m pounds with 3 or 4 in conditional add ons.

I don't really bother opening the links i see on here and i just assumed we're buying some youngster again to go into the reserves. But fifteen million just stood out. Good Lord.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement