Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    The game is at the Britannia, not Anfield.

Ah. Well still...I'd be confident we'll beat them.

Pl
    5starpool wrote: »
    Out of curiosity does anyone here think we WILL finish in the top 4 this year? I know some think we will challenge strongly for the top 4, but does anyone actually think we have something like a 60% chance even of doing so?

Personally I hope we challenge for the top 4 and we have the capability to be consistent enough to actually achieve it. I don't think we will be as close as I'd hope though, and ultimately it'll be another fairly frustrating season.

Augeo, I'm looking at you as the main voice of positivity from last season ;)

It's all down to goals really imo.

Clyne in for Johnson in a back 4 improves us defensively, having a competent full back there makes (should) the 2 CBS better.

Milner is a huge improvement on the Gerrard of last year, I believe we lost points accommodating Gerrard, hard to drop him after losing suarez with sturridge injured too though.

Sterling of last year was far from unbelievable impact wise, I don't think its beyond the team & firminho especially to replace his input.

We got to a 50/50 chance of top 4 before the utd game after very poor period, a few more goals in that poor period and we would have been in a better position no doubt.

I think there's enough firepower without sturridge to make us well able to beat 13/14 of the PL teams, last year we couldn't do that.

I expect the team to function as a team this year, its nigh on impossible to compensate for a blunt end product, teams weren't afraid of us last year, we weren't dangerous for most of the season.

If Benteke isn't on the boil Ings & origi will have their chance, ings will be chomping at the bit and is a handful due to his aggressive dogged style.

Ferminho, coutinho & lallana are well able to create chances, Ibe is a great option to have on the bench. I think the burden will be shared by the squad rather than their being someone folks look to.

I'm fully expecting a seeming overperformance next season :)

Wouldn't surprise me if we got 3rd, Chelsea are rock solid but aside from them its all to play for imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    All I said is that Sterling looked impressive in his preseason highlights reel.

While preseason is not competitive football, it isn't some remote experience in 1970's Siberia. Stoke got pissed on a mere two days ago and looked dreadful, really dreadful. We looked like we were getting there over the weekend.

The expectation should always be that we beat Stoke at home but, considering how they looked at the weekend, I am particularly confident we'll bag the three points, yes. Surely that's a good thing?

We did look tired the weekend though and have not been tested at all this pre season. We havent even played a game against the level of Porto so its hard to say.

But new season and fresh optimism means Im expecting 3 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

We should not be expecting to be in the Top 4 but expecting to challenge for it. If we had any sort of consistency last season we'd have at least ran United closer for 4th.

It's hard to predict how Utd/Arsenal will go this season and City/Chelsea are pretty much going to be nailed on for top4 ... so we have to be ready to pounce in case they have indifferent seasons.

A good start and a head of steam can go a long way. Last season was pretty much a nightmare until xmas, and we still could have finished higher - so no reason to think we can't do better.

Top 4!!! Top 1, I have my cash down, €50 @ 33/1. Already ordered a new flymo and trimmer, still got about 1500 left for Xmas gifts for myself. life is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mr.H wrote: »
    We did look tired the weekend though and have not been tested at all this pre season. We havent even played a game against the level of Porto so its hard to say.

But new season and fresh optimism means Im expecting 3 points

Tiredness would be expected as you'd imagine the training workload has been very heavy and there was a lot of travelling mixed in there. You'd imagine this will be a much lighter week and - assuming they've got the prep right and that's their job after all - the players should be refreshed and rearing to go at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

But Gomez deserves a starting spot based on friendlies?

He looks more solid defensively than Moreno and more defensive minded.

There is a difference between using pre-season form to influence which players ought to start the first game, and completely downplaying a team’s ability because they were beaten by a side much better than any Liverpool faced this pre-season.

In 2013/14 we lost to Celtic (who are proper s^ite) and nearly won the league.
    In 2014/15 we beat Man City and finished 7th

Ah. Well still...I'd be confident we'll beat them.

We should most definitely expect to beat Stoke at the Brittania.
    Great opportunity for Henderson first match of the season, he has Milner alongside him so the CM burden is shared.

Stoke should be looking at this game a tad puzzled, do a Stoke and Benteke can still impact the game, not do a Stoke and how good are the Liverpool of 2015/2016, all things considered they should be apprehensive enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

brevity wrote: »

This geezer is a twat! please don't tell me he is a pool fan!

Tiredness would be expected as you'd imagine the training workload has been very heavy and there was a lot of travelling mixed in there. You'd imagine this will be a much lighter week and - assuming they've got the prep right and that's their job after all - the players should be refreshed and rearing to go at the weekend.

oh yea I would assume as much. I just meant that we looked tired the weekend and expect to be refreshed for the weekend so I would assume Stoke may be of the same mindset. We should beat them yes but Im sure that tiredness played a big part in their defeat (also playing 2 games in 2 days most of the squad was named for both games although only a couple had parts to play in both games)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I'm not confident tbh, I think we'll fly out of the traps and start well, all depends on if we can get an early goal. If we can't then I can see the team mentally becoming exposed and unsure of themselves, as was the problem so many times last season.

One of Rodgers' key objectives this season for me is toughening up this team. It won't be easy to get the ball rolling on that one at the Britannia.

This geezer is a twat! please don't tell me he is a pool fan!

Dunno if he is a pool fan but Knex loves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Top 4!!! Top 1, I have my cash down, €50 @ 33/1. Already ordered a new flymo and trimmer, still got about 1500 left for Xmas gifts for myself. life is good.

33/1 is terrible odds! At least your garden will look good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

He looks more solid defensively than Moreno and more defensive minded.

There is a difference between using pre-season form to influence which players ought to start the first game, and completely downplaying a team’s ability because they were beaten by a side much better than any Liverpool faced this pre-season.

In 2013/14 we lost to Celtic (who are proper s^ite) and nearly won the league.
    In 2014/15 we beat Man City and finished 7th

I just think it is completely ridiculous to make any judgements on him based on pre-season. We seemed to have purposely picked bad teams to play against this preseason. I think part of the thinking has been to built a bit of confidence between the defence by keeping a few clean sheets with a few solid defensive displays. The flip side of that is I would be taking exactly zero from Gomez's performance. The intensity, competitiveness, quality etc he will be facing come kick off is on a completely different level. I actually think considering he has never played at this level before and it is his first start for Liverpool it is kind of reckless from the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You're getting worse than Turtyturd with these horrible accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, don't be reading anything into pre-season. I've seen us have awful pre-seasons only to go on and do well, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fcuk Michael McIntyre, he withers my sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All the mistakes Moreno Lovern Sakho Mignolet made last season would have went unnoticed had we been 3-0 up at the time. We made as much, if not more mistakes when we almost won the league. I think if we get it right up the other end we will not care as much that Moreno or who ever makes a howler in a game we end up winning 3-1.
    When you can't score the mistakes at the back become vital mistakes that cost points, every mistake last year was a huge blow to confidence and to results. I'm hoping this season we can make a few but that they will be laughed at because they don't matter due to the fact we can go on and put them right up the other end.
    Goals is the key to success in Premier League, always has been. The mistakes defensively are a non issuse once you can score goals. In Europe it's a different story,one mistake and you're gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Could be worse! You could have made a pathetic post calling out everyone on the forum that disagreed with you, abused everyone and closed down your account. Only to rereg weeks later under a different username like a little weasel

Now that really would be embarrassing!

Who are we talking about here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You seem to be putting way too much emphasis on pre season games, Porto are a class above Stoke maybe even Liverpool so it's moot what happened in that game, same way you're championing Sterling in pre season, means fck all until the league starts.

What you seem to be implying is that we should beat Stoke handy enough, I don't think you believe that though.
    I seen the game Stoke were embarrased tbh. It took them until about the 80 min to get there first shot at goal in the 2nd half. Watching some of the pre season games the PL isn't that great of a standard .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

So your again ignoring everything presumably because you have no actual response?

I wont get into a slagging match as its a little petty. You have your opinions that we need to change everything but I have my opinion that we just need to make tweaks.

Tomato tomato :)

I've given my response, a few times. System change or no, our CBs aren't up to it. Sakho hasn't had a long enough run of games for us to judge if he's going to be a success for us.
    Lovren may come good - agan, this season will show. My original point was that our CBs aren't good enough, particularly Skrtel and Lovren (from what we've seen) and you've done nothing to dissuade me from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought you'd messed up your countdown to the beginning of the season.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Hangball Doughboy .

33/1 is terrible odds! At least your garden will look good though.

What you in about his garden for? He's the Liverpool groundskeeper, why do you think the pitch was so poor last year?
    Rodgers and FSG bought him a used trimmer off adverts last year because of the potential it showed a few years ago cutting estate lawns. They thought Rodgers and asteroids over Berlin could coach it up to being usable at premier league pitch standards.
    Didn't work out and they spunked the Suarez money on a gamble, when they should have bought quality stihl equipment.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hangball Doughboy .

What is he gone? And reregged pretending to be someone else who left and reregged. Rereggedception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

baseball2.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    You're getting worse than Turtyturd with these horrible accusations.

But there's truth in mine, and you might still be right about Sturridge.

mosstin wrote: »
    I've given my response, a few times. System change or no, our CBs aren't up to it. Sakho hasn't had a long enough run of games for us to judge if he's going to be a success for us.
    Lovren may come good - agan, this season will show. My original point was that our CBs aren't good enough, particularly Skrtel and Lovren (from what we've seen) and you've done nothing to dissuade me from that.

I agree that they havent done enough for us.

But all I am saying is that we could spend another 20 or 30 million on defence but I dont think it would actually help. My point is that the problem is bigger than the individuals and spending more money on it could be a waste.

We spent more than 70 million on our defence. Clyne Moreno Sakho Lovren and Skrtel. Surely it would be wiser to spend a little bit on a proper defensive coach rather than another 30 million on defenders.

Hyypia for example could come in. He would be in charge of defensive organisation. That COULD help the likes of Skrtel and Lovren to become better at positioning. Maybe he could teach Sakho how to be more composed in certain situations while defending. Teach Moreno how to tackle ffs.

You have your opinion and thats fine I agree............. sort of. I just think there is an easier solution than changing the whole backline and I think the Liverpool staff agree with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

... and I think the Liverpool staff agree with me

Rodgers doesn't, he was sneering at the suggestions of taking on a defensive coach while we were on that bit of a run last year. Then the wheels came off over the course of the matches against Swansea and Utd, and stayed off, and I don't recall any further wisecracks from him on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

corwill wrote: »
    Rodgers doesn't, he was sneering at the suggestions of taking on a defensive coach while we were on that bit of a run last year. Then the wheels came off over the course of the matches against Swansea and Utd, and stayed off, and I don't recall any further wisecracks from him on the topic.

You're under selling that bit of a run, I don't remember the exact figures as I'm not statto, but was it not 5 or 6 away clean sheets in a row, a club record since the 60's.

You're under selling that bit of a run, I don't remember the exact figures as I'm not statto, but was it not 5 or 6 away clean sheets in a row, a club record since the 60's.

You're right, I am, but you might forgive me if I feel what came after took a little of the shine off it.

corwill wrote: »

Sneering................? you mean he just quashed the rumour that we where about to appoint a defensive coach. Far from sneering.

We did over the summer change our coaching staff................. Not exactly a designated defensive coach but I am sure that some sort of organisational qualities where sought in any new additions to the staff

That and the fact that we havent replaced our whole backline. Glen was always leaving and Gomez was hardly brought in with the idea of being thrown into the starting X1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Sneering................? you mean he just quashed the rumour that we where about to appoint a defensive coach. Far from sneering.

We did over the summer change our coaching staff................. Not exactly a designated defensive coach but I am sure that some sort of organisational qualities where sought in any new additions to the staff

That and the fact that we havent replaced our whole backline. Glen was always leaving and Gomez was hardly brought in with the idea of being thrown into the starting X1

No he definitely was sneering. He sarcastically mocked the media in one of his press conferences last year.

“It's the new defensive coach that we got in that everybody thought we needed. That's what has done the trick.”

Maybe sneering is overstating it, but as soon as I heard him say this, the words "hostage to fortune" sprang to mind - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-0-2-liverpool-coutinho-delivering-8696854. Then there was the flurry of articles across almost all the broadsheets bigging up how he alone was responsible for that temporary turnaround in form, clearly with him as source.

I still think the setup is crying out for a dedicated defensive coach, and I think Rodgers' pride is getting in the way of him making such an appointment. But that's just what I think. Oh, and a new gk'ing coach too.
    That and the fact that we haven't replaced our whole backline. Glen was always leaving and Gomez was hardly brought in with the idea of being thrown into the starting X1

I'm more than a bit worried about chucking Gomez in for his debut in a position he has never played in a competitive match, away to a team that caned us in our last competitive match. It's quite the gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is he ever happy?
    rarnes 47.
    baseball2.jpg
    Yup, rarnes 47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus our handling of Balotelli is really making us look bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Vicxas wrote: »

Yeah, we'll be up in front of the Geneva human rights council this year, fo sho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

How so?

Have we started the water-boarding, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Please no we discussed Mario to death yesterday

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

I wasn't here yesterday :(

It's like being at school...

"Where's your home-work?"
    "I wasn't here yesterday..."
    "Hmmmm"

Presumably FSG have done some sums and effectively written off much of the £16m with a view to getting him off the books. Training away from the first team squad is making him fully aware of the clubs intentions, should make most other options that may come along comparatively attractive from a footballing viewpoint.

If Mario doesn't think so he remains, turns up, trains & gets paid... Might even get a game.

"Hmmmm"

We must have went to the same school :D

rob316 wrote: »

Yep, hard truth is he's a failure who has contributed nothing.

Not worth the discussion, just take the hit and let another team take the burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"Hmmmm"

"Show me your note"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My team for Stoke

share_320cd7b9ba7b7da40b7146535140dcda.png

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Team for Stoke

Mignolet
    clyne skertle lovren gomez
    hendo lucas milner
    ibe benteke countiho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Marios messing hasnt been anything major. Just things like bringing his friends into Melwood when he is suppose to be training and driving his segwa around the training pitch with Enrique on the back and just little things like that. More unprofessional behaviour than "messing" I suppose but still stuff that could irritate staff.

As for Enriques kids maybe it wasnt his kids maybe it was locals or something but for what ever reason it seems the staff have given up on him.

I dont think Borini is good enough either but he does keep himself fit unlike Enrique

I highly doubt Mario was faffing around Melwood instead of being on the training pitch when he's supposed to be. I don't think the staff gave up on Enrique because he was supposedly playing football with some kids either.

The fact of the matter is Enrique only knows how to run around in circles and offers very little else apart from a never ending stream of cringeworthy instagram posts. Borini may be able to keep himself injury free for the most part, but he's still with Enrique in the "I'm a dud" camp.

All these rumours about footy with kids and playing around with Mario are a joke. I'm sure no decisions at Liverpool are based on 2 of the players having the craic at training.

edit: However, Borini buys his sister lingerie for her bday so his position is now untenable.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I see the official site is doing free live commentary for every game this season which will probably come in handy for some, I'm guessing that it will be geoblocked for the UK, but not sure of that. It's easy enough to get around anyhow if needs be these days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement