Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Anybody know what the story with Yesil is? Is he still on his way back to full fitness?
    I think he could be pushing for a first team place this year if managed to get a good run together in the reserves/u21's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    I liked Kenny's attitude towards the media. He treated them with the contempt alot of them deserve for asking the most obvious & stupid questions.

Ya but its added a lot of pressure on him and some of the Suarez defending stuff was genuinely head in hands stuff, Rafa never gave much either which always caused a backlash.

Hard enough task been a manager, if I was one, I would prefer the media on my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Anybody know what the story with Yesil is? Is he still on his way back to full fitness?
    I think he could be pushing for a first team place this year if managed to get a good run together in the reserves/u21's

I think this is posted every summer. :) tbh it's hard to see him making it given all those injuries. They'd have to have had a big impact on his physical ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Talk of a loan to Fenerbahce

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A fit Sturridge is arguably the best out and out striker in the premiership, if he stays injury free this season, i expect the farcically over indulgent Spanish boys in white to be bidding for him next season, then of course there is the all cash but little on field flash MCFC to come lurking!

I don't think Sturridge will ever be chased by Real or Barca. When he has played for us he has generally been very good, but I think you are a little over the top on him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I liked Kenny's attitude towards the media. He treated them with the contempt alot of them deserve for asking the most obvious & stupid questions.

Yeah I was a fan of how he and Benitez treated the media. I never felt Dalglish was compromising who he was or what he thought and I think you have to respect that in a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A fit Sturridge is arguably the best out and out striker in the premiership, if he stays injury free this season, i expect the farcically over indulgent Spanish boys in white to be bidding for him next season, then of course there is the all cash but little on field flash MCFC to come lurking!

City let him go on a free, can't see them breaking the bank to get him back.

Also they already have unarguably the best out and out striker in the EPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I can't see anyone coming in for Sturridge... He's been a sick note his whole career and i doubt that's gonna change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

8-10 wrote: »
    City let him go on a free, can't see them breaking the bank to get him back.

Also they already have unarguably the best out and out striker in the EPL
    Don't think it will happen but it is possible, look at pogba for example, also it was not so long ago van persie was the best striker, alot can change in 1 season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think Sturridge will ever be chased by Real or Barca. When he has played for us he has generally been very good, but I think you are a little over the top on him there.

40 goals in 66 games

I think your underselling him to be honest

I can't see anyone coming in for Sturridge... He's been a sick note his whole career and i doubt that's gonna change.

No he hasnt. 1 bad injury in his whole career and that was last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm positive about Sturridge's recovery and ability to maintain fitness.

Based on absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Mr.H wrote: »
    No he hasnt. 1 bad injury in his whole career and that was last year

I have to go back into work but I'll get back to you on this later this evening if someone else doesn't first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm positive about Sturridge's recovery and ability to maintain fitness.

Based on absolutely nothing.

Embarrassing positivity there my friend.

I hope that he finally has got this hip/thigh injury sorted and he will go on to flourish with us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Embarrassing positivity there my friend.

I hope that he finally has got this hip/thigh injury sorted and he will go on to flourish with us this season.

:confused: What's embarrassing about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

If he can stay fit and hit good numbers then good but I don't think the bigger clubs will come looking for him and even if they did I don't see him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sigh, lazy journalism ahead....... you have been warned:
    Liverpool have been cleared to make a move for Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette, according to the ever-reliable French daily L'Equipe.

Despite the big-money signings of Christian Benteke and Firmino, the Reds will still move for the 24-year-old striker, who has been linked with Anfield for the last few years, if reports in France can be believed (or not as the case may be).

Lacazette has been told he can leave the Ligue 1 side, but the chances of him arriving at Melwood look very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

mosstin wrote: »
    :confused: What's embarrassing about it?

You not getting the joke that's what's now embarrassing

Nah, someone posted a few weeks back that the positivity on this thread was embarrassing and since then it has been a running joke in here, everything is embarrassing.

Actually its based on more than the opposite.

Apart from a "hamstring injury" that was used as an excuse why he was kept out of a team and sold

Its a joke how much people are blinded by this nonsense.

Apart from last season and that 1 chelsea "injury" name one time where he was injured for a prolonged period of time????

If he is so injury prone I am sure you can come up with a few examples but 1 will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

There's a happy middle ground, you can only be as grumpy as Dalglish was from a position of strength ala Fergie, otherwise as soon as your team hit the skids the journo's have their knives out for you. Equally you can't be as pally and self satisfied as Rodgers has come across in interviews without soundbites comebacking back to bite you in the ass when your losing to the Aston Villa's of the world.

Funnily enough one of those soundbite during our good spell last year "That'll be the defensive coach you all said we needed" is right out of the Dalglish locker.

• Advertisement

I cant see us signing another striker or attacking player to be honest. IF and only IF we sign someone they will be for the reserves/youths or it will be a center mid of some sort (but doubt it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/05/premier-league-2015-16-season-predictions

The Guardian's predictions for the season. Minimal mentions of Liverpool. Lots of love for young Mr Sterling.

40 goals in 66 games

His record is better than my opinion on him, that's true. I think he is a fine player and if he was fit he is a player I'm delighted is at our club. I doubt though that his record will continue to be close to 2 goals every 3 games, although very, very few players can maintain that rate. If he is able to score close to 1 in 2 though that is a rate I'd be delighted with for him.

Even if he scored 25 goals in 30 league games for us this year though, Barca and Madrid wouldn't be in for him in my opinion, which was my original point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

40 goals in 66 games

40 goals in 66 games without penalties or free-kicks makes it even more impressive. Not many in Europe can match that.

His record is better than my opinion on him, that's true. I think he is a fine player and if he was fit he is a player I'm delighted is at our club. I doubt though that his record will continue to be close to 2 goals every 3 games, although very, very few players can maintain that rate. If he is able to score close to 1 in 2 though that is a rate I'd be delighted with for him.

Even if he scored 25 goals in 30 league games for us this year though, Barca and Madrid wouldn't be in for him in my opinion, which was my original point.

If he stays fit and scored 20+ goals it wouldnt be beyond belief that someone like City or even Chelsea would be back for him next season.

City are selling off all their strikers and will probably have a new manager next summer. Aguero could go but even if he stays for Pep I can see them looking at replacing Bony.

Chelsea have Costa who hopefully will be seen for the animal he is this season nut even then I can see them looking for a new striker next summer.

Hell even Arsenal could be in for him

This of course is IF he gets fit and scores 20+ goals. I dont think teams would be put off by his one bad injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/05/premier-league-2015-16-season-predictions

The Guardian's predictions for the season. Minimal mentions of Liverpool. Lots of love for young Mr Sterling.

Sterling the most unproven overrated player since.......Walcott maybe? Gotta love the english optimism. Maybe send them a link to this thread, since we are apparantely over optimistic.

Selling Sterling has been the best business of the transfer window - worlwide!

Sterling the most unproven overrated player since.......Walcott maybe? Gotta love the english optimism. Maybe send them a link to this thread, since we are apparantely over optimistic.

That remains to be seen IMO.

Andy Carroll 35 million after half a season in the premiership was nuts

but

Etoo for 46 million euro plus Hleb and Ibrahimovich is the single crasiest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

but

Lol of course - particularly the Carroll saga! still baffling to this day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Actually its based on more than the opposite.

Apart from a "hamstring injury" that was used as an excuse why he was kept out of a team and sold

Its a joke how much people are blinded by this nonsense.

Apart from last season and that 1 chelsea "injury" name one time where he was injured for a prolonged period of time????

If he is so injury prone I am sure you can come up with a few examples but 1 will do

There's his complete injury history. He's spent over 1 year of his 2.5 years with us injured.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/daniel-sturridge/verletzungen/spieler/47082

• Advertisement

Lol of course - particularly the Carroll saga! still baffling to this day:eek:

and then to have Comoli say last week that our transfer business this summer has been risky :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

tbh, I thought you were high defending his injury record.

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    There's his complete injury history. He's spent over 1 year of his 2.5 years with us injured.

Point to one that stands out as any different to any other player

Loads of knocks that kept him out for a game here or there and 1 big injury last season. That is his whole career. Only 1 major injury

tbh, I thought you were high defending his injury record.

To be honest its frustrating because I am really not trying to defend it. But I think a lot of people keep saying things like he is finished and tear up his contract and this usual nonsense.

I dread to imagine how the same posters would have reacted to Gerrard back in the day and his injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DaveSuarez wrote: »

But that year does count because it wasn't continuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If he stays fit and scored 20+ goals it wouldnt be beyond belief that someone like City or even Chelsea would be back for him next season.

City are selling off all their strikers and will probably have a new manager next summer. Aguero could go but even if he stays for Pep I can see them looking at replacing Bony.

Chelsea have Costa who hopefully will be seen for the animal he is this season nut even then I can see them looking for a new striker next summer.

Hell even Arsenal could be in for him

This of course is IF he gets fit and scores 20+ goals. I dont think teams would be put off by his one bad injury.

With Sturridge you genuinely get the feeling he is very happy at Liverpool though, I could comfortably see him here for 4 more years in whatever capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

To be honest its frustrating because I am really not trying to defend it. But I think a lot of people keep saying things like he is finished and tear up his contract and this usual nonsense.

I dread to imagine how the same posters would have reacted to Gerrard back in the day and his injuries

I don't think anyone has been really saying that but it comes down to needing to be able to rely on a player. We all seen the results last season of having your main goal threat sidelined. I remember lots of funny stories from the club and I think even Rodgers said something himself about Daniel needing to play through the pain barrier more which he is apparently completely unwilling to do at the sign of the slightest knock.

I don't think anyone has been really saying that but it comes down to needing to be able to rely on a player. We all seen the results last season of having your main goal threat sidelined. I remember lots of funny stories from the club and I think even Rodgers said something himself about Daniel needing to play through the pain barrier more which he is apparently completely unwilling to do at the sign of the slightest knock.

Dont get me wrong I have completely slated Sturridge last year. Hopefully his recovery wont be noticed due to having Benteke and Ings chomping at the bit to impress.

I would love if Danny never played for us again.............................. if the others kept him out of the team on merit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The one thing I can say about a couple of our new signings is that they won't be bullied last season we were way to lightweight and very easy for teams to steam roll over us.

Benteke won't be bullied by CB's and will more than likely be the bully.

Firmino from what I have seen of him will be a bit like Suarez in that he will annoy and frustrate defenses and won't be pushed off the ball.

Milner & Clyne are physically strong players as well.

• Advertisement

The one thing I can say about a couple of our new signings is that they won't be bullied last season we were way to lightweight and very easy for teams to steam roll over us.

Benteke won't be bullied by CB's and will more than likely be the bully.

Firmino from what I have seen of him will be a bit like Suarez in that he will annoy and frustrate defenses and won't be pushed off the ball.

Milner & Clyne are physically strong players as well.

Benteke will turn into a wuss who cries at every knock, Firmino will strop at every oppurtunity, and Milner and Clyne will start getting fake tan and say they don't want to tackle in case they get visible bruises.

I think that's all pretty likely given that it's us, and we are perennial physical pushovers.

Benteke will turn into a wuss who cries at every knock, Firmino will strop at every oppurtunity, and Milner and Clyne will start getting fake tan and say they don't want to tackle in case they get visible bruises.

I think that's all pretty likely given that it's us, and we are perennial physical pushovers.

They will turn into Arsenal players more worried about 6 packs and selfies.

Arsenal have turned into the new spice boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have a feeling firminho will be fcking awesome for us

Brendan will either have his second coming of the second coming or he will be sacked that's how I see the season ahead for the manager.

On the pitch I think we will have a similar season to last year and finish 5th or 6th and have one good cup run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

but

Wrong way round

" Ibrahimovich signed a 5-year contract, for €46 million and the exchange of Eto'o (valued at €20 million) and loan of Alexander Hleb"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

have a feeling firminho will be fcking awesome for us

Know next to nothing about him but have read a few articles and I have extrapolated from those that he is basically a Brazilian Luis Suarez with less goals and biting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Borini to Fiorentina, maybe, hopefully, permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lots of love for young Mr Sterling.

I think he's going to be scarily good this year. I know he left us and all but I just love watching him play, and him + Silva behind Aguero will be awesome to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it still too early for the match thread? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is it still too early for the match thread? :(

Steady now, lets not get ahead of ourselves :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement