Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Could Balotelli and Benteke play together? Really not sure if we're going to be able to get rid of Mario and it'd be nice if he could actually offer something if he stays.

Not only could they play together, they could excel together. Balo is the type of striker that doesn't make runs, but instead looks for the other forwards to create chances for him. With Benteke's aerial ability, Mario could score a nice few goals from his accurate knock-down headers, and as well as that, Benteke is strong enough to shield a defender away from the ball to give Mario more space to dribble and get a shot away. I'm excited by that partnership, even if it doesn't seem good on paper.

It's a pairing we will probably see plenty of too since Sturridge will miss games again this season, he's made of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Anybody reckon ilori is in with a shout of first team action with Liverpool this season? I still have my doubts that the lad is big enough or strong enough for the epl. Love to be wrong on this , but i just cant see it happening for him

I think he has the physical attributes for a PL centre-half, he has a similar build and style to Carvalho.. whether he has the same natural agression and bullishness to win balls ahead of strikers is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, yeah, thats kinda the point - up until the spotlight and expectation was solely on him, his focus was good. Under the microscope, he quickly took several steps backwards and his performances crumbled.

He's just moved for 49 million pounds. He's the most expensive English player of all time. Thats quite a microscope to be under! Anything other than hitting the ground running and the pressure and criticism will be pretty immense. Doesn't matter that he's only a 20 year old with potential. He has a world class price tag, he'll be judged as a world class player would be. Remember Carroll joining us. Remember Bent at Spurs. Even Torres at Chelsea. After not living up to the expectations of their prices, they got absolutely torn apart by the media.

This isn't about being poisonous or disrespectful, this is a question of if he has the mentality to shoulder expectation and exceed it. Some guys do, some guys don't. Last year doesn't present the most positive sign, but we'll see in 6 months how it's gone.

Also - some guys need alotta lovin anda, some guys don't !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MD1990 wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-losing-appeal-far-9658846

shows the effect of losing Gerrard. Maybe it might push FSG to try & buy a really top class striker

Sold Suarez last year then Sterling (probably Coutinho next year now :(), no Coutinho or Firimino, Sturridge injured, bought so bad last summer, we dropped from 2nd to 7th :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Knex. wrote: »
    I think the two main things are;

1) Not long enough between trips. Just two years, whereas the last one came about 4 years after the previous.

2) Tuesday night game.

While losing Gerrad probably would have an impact, as well as not having a Suarez like player any more, I think the above two would probably effect it more.

& the fact that they have no real allegiance to the club. A lot of Asian's see no problem changing their support to whatever club is doing the best.
    Don't get me wrong there are some who do & will always support the one club but a lot more who change every few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The poor turnout was due to several factors - Thai economy, ticket prices, Tuesday evening, no superstars/club legends and there only two years ago, whereas that earlier visit was the first in the modern era. I'd not be losing any sleep about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Lucas: Firmino can follow in Coutinho's footsteps - but he's a different type of player

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lucas-firmino-can-follow-coutinhos-9658042
    wrote:

Lucas Leiva believes new Liverpool team-mate Roberto Firmino will follow in Philippe Coutinho’s footsteps and prove to be a big hit at Anfield - but says the gifted Brazilian must be given time to adapt to the demands of the Premier League.

The Reds midfielder was buoyed by the £29million swoop for the Hoffenheim attacker who is now the second most expensive signing in the club’s history.

Lucas hopes his fellow countryman, who is still on holiday following the Copa America, will prove to be the “new Luis Suarez” but has urged for fans to be patient.

“When I heard we were signing him, I thought it was a good signing for us because I have been following him for a while,” Lucas said.

“I haven’t met him yet, I only know him from watching the national team. He has got a good record for Brazil - four or five goals in nine games which is great.

“He has only started to play for Brazil in the last six months but he has potential and we have seen in the national team that he can perform.

“He has been playing in Germany, which is a very similar league to the one in England. I think it will be hard straight away and it will be just a case of him having to adapt to the club, the language and the way the manager wants us to play.

“We will see where he fits in. He showed in Germany what he is capable of and hopefully he will be able to adapt as soon as possible. Listen, I remember when Suarez arrived at Liverpool and people didn’t know much about him.

“Hopefully he will be the new Suarez because that would be great for the club but it is not fair to put that pressure on him now. I think he has got all the attributes to be a great player for the club, for sure.”

Lucas is looking forward to watching Firmino and Coutinho operate in tandem and says last season’s Player of the Year is a different type of attacker compared to the new boy.

“Firmino is a goalscorer,” he added.

“He plays for the national team like a No 9. He moves a lot, he is not just static.

“I don’t think he is the same as Philippe, who is more of a creator. Hopefully there will be a good link between the two.

“It’s the same as when Coutinho arrived – I just want to make sure he feels comfortable, show him around the city and the club. Hopefully he will be a big signing like Philippe has been.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Any one any good at the old photoshop

Change Uncle Phil to Brendan and Jazzy Jeff to young Sterling

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25183-1388704824-7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Any one any good at the old photoshop

Change Uncle Phil to Brendan and Jazzy Jeff to young Sterling

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25183-1388704824-7.gif

May be easier if that didn't move at the speed of light...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Kovacic speaks out about Liverpool move:
    But he has finally spoken about Liverpool to Gazzetta dello Sport.
    Asked what happens if Liverpool turn up with a bid, Kovacic said: "They must ask the club. But the club has never said they want to sell me. Never."
    Bad news for Reds fans, then. But it gets worse. Asked what he wants to do, he added: "Stay here. I do not move... the relationship between me and Inter will be long."
    And asked if the sale of Raheem Sterling could mean a move for him, he said: "We have two different roles. That there have been no requests from the Reds, but it's not for me it's for my agent. Having said that, I repeat: I want to be here."
    So, that'll be him on his way to Anfield, then.

The Echo always said they were was nothing in it. Lord knows where it started.
    It was always an odd one, not a position we are very stuck for, and would have been a replica of the Markovic deal last year - £20M for someone you are hoping will become world class, but won't automatically command a place this season.

I doubt Higuain will be moving either.

Iker has probably the worst and saddest send off in football.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33522701

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Allyall wrote: »

God that's not pleasant to watch - Poor Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What I find really weird about Man City is they have the money, they have spent close to a billion pounds on players in last 6 years yet who have they signed?
    NO ONE worth mentioning. Augero only one of note, toure too, although if he wandering around pitch like he did last season they have no hope.
    Sterling just another example of splashing the cash on someone that might be good. Wilford Bony won't see much action either, will be thrown to the Kerb in few months. Why are they not buying star players, they seem to over pay for players and not use them much.
    They could of had Rude Berry , Messy, Robbing Vans ,Hazzard Lights, Rain Wooney,Gary Baler, I don't get it. Maybe no one of note wants to play for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City's recruitment policy has been strange, but I suppose to a degree it illustrates how they are actually seen by the games top players - rich but not yet proven. Sure they've won two Prem titles but until they do it in Europe the very best will tend to steer clear as they know they'll always be a Bayern, Barca, Real interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I for one think Jazzy Jeff would be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

They could of had Rude Berry , Messy, Robbing Vans ,Hazzard Lights, Rain Wooney,Gary Baler, I don't get it. Maybe no one of note wants to play for them.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What I find really weird about Man City is they have the money, they have spent close to a billion pounds on players in last 6 years yet who have they signed?
    NO ONE worth mentioning. Augero only one of note, toure too, although if he wandering around pitch like he did last season they have no hope.
    Sterling just another example of splashing the cash on someone that might be good. Wilford Bony won't see much action either, will be thrown to the Kerb in few months. Why are they not buying star players, they seem to over pay for players and not use them much.

That David Silva lad is half decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, there's another side to that story. Xavi's opinion on Real's dealing probably should be taken with a pinch of salt by default anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

City's spine of Aguero, Silva, Yaya and Kompany have been around for about 4 years but since then they haven't signed anyone worth their pricetag. Fernandinho and Mangala cost more than £60m yet they've done feck all since they came. Dzeko, Jovetic, Bony have never looked like appropriate replacements when Aguero's been injured. They have a great spine through their team, but they've bought badly the last few years.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, there's another side to that story. Xavi's opinion on Real's dealing probably should be taken with a pinch of salt by default anyway.

It's probably not as bad as Casillas' parents or Xavi make it out to be, but Perez is a right twat and has acted like a complete gobsh*te the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

City's spine of Aguero, Silva, Yaya and Kompany have been around for about 4 years but since then they haven't signed anyone worth their pricetag. Fernandinho and Mangala cost more than £60m yet they've done feck all since they came. Dzeko, Jovetic, Bony have never looked like appropriate replacements when Aguero's been injured. They have a great spine through their team, but they've bought badly the last few years.

Yeah they have only won the league twice in the those 4 years..

His mother sayed she would've preferred him to play for Barcelona, as they are Gentlemen there (i.e. they aren't in Madrid).
    Follow up here - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/13/real-madrid-iker-casillas-repair-damage

But you can see in the video anyway, that he's alone. No club rep of any form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Madrid is a fairly soulless club, to be fair. Its a massive Club, and great in its own right, but its never really harboured a community feel or close knit atmosphere.

Hard to generate that when you have a new manager every two years, constant overturn of big name players, and have the ethos that they do, and the pressure to win.

Its a circus, just a bloody good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

City have spent £703M on transfers in the last 7 years. That doesn't include all of the players wages on 200K+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

City have spent £703M on transfers in the last 7 years. That doesn't include all of the players wages on 200K+

Yeah, well, I bough a new toaster the other day for €30.

Have that, City.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah they have only won the league twice in the those 4 years..

True, but they've barely made a dent in the CL, and for the amount of money they spend, you'd expect they'd have gotten close to a semi final by now.

Chelsea on the other hand have bought very well in the past 4 years and though they've won less PL's than City, they look set to dominate the PL for the next few years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Which just happens to be the amount of pound sterling we have burning a hole in our pocket :)

A United Fan said Benteke would make a good backup to Rooney, and Benteke just 'favourited' it on Twitter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3162117/Manchester-United-eye-trump-rivals-Liverpool-Christian-Benteke.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

A United Fan said Benteke would make a good backup to Rooney, and Benteke just 'avourited' it on Twitter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3162117/Manchester-United-eye-trump-rivals-Liverpool-Christian-Benteke.html

He has a sense of humour to go along with the skills, top lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

So between £35-42 million. Potentially a couple of million more than Benteke.....

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Which just happens to be the amount of pound sterling we have burning a hole in our pocket :)

They'd take less imo when stating that publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Have that, City.

but does that include the cost of bread?
    Just looking at toaster costs doesn't tell the whole story. The likes of me would only be offering Daily basics bread but you could be using gluten free whole grain rustic freshly baked stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Have that, City.

Maybe they will have it but that depends on how technically brilliant it is at making toast and does it have tremendous character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

A United Fan said Benteke would make a good backup to Rooney, and Benteke just 'favourited' it on Twitter.

Joe Allen looks like Borini's and Squidward's love child in the photos in that article...

2A87ADBA00000578-3162117-image-a-10_1436956396185.jpg

dogbert27 wrote: »

Would he want to come though, is the question. We won't be the only club vying for his signature, the lure of Champions League football could tempt him at Arsenal or PSG. You have to think United would be interested too.

Another thing many here might forget is that about a third of his goals last season were penalties. Still, 18 goals from open play is a great return, but Suarez and Sturridge both got more each in one season with Stevie on the spot kicks. So is he any better than Sturridge when both are fully fit?

He also did all of this in a much less competitive league than the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

rob316 wrote: »
    Maybe they will have it but that depends on how technically brilliant it is at making toast and does it have tremendous character.
    Homegrown passport vital

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    Homegrown passport vital

Does it count as homegrown if it's made in China but packaged here?

Those tweet responses make me despair for humanity. 'Old Toilet' as a substitute for Old Trafford, duck me that's brutal.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Does it count as homegrown if it's made in China but packaged here?

Nope, has to come through the system here and develop itself as a homegrown toaster. It's a good one I hear though, gets plenty of room in the box and grills anything that goes near it.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Nope, has to come through the system here and develop itself as a homegrown toaster. It's a good one I hear though, gets plenty of room in the box and grills anything that goes near it.

I dunno, I think the way he is used as a utility man may his downfall in development. Either your a toaster or a heater of beans or a fryer of eggs. I much prefer the regular two slice toasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

martyos121 wrote: »
    Would he want to come though, is the question. We won't be the only club vying for his signature, the lure of Champions League football could tempt him at Arsenal or PSG. You have to think United would be interested too.

Another thing many here might forget is that about a third of his goals last season were penalties. Still, 18 goals from open play is a great return, but Suarez and Sturridge both got more each in one season with Stevie on the spot kicks. So is he any better than Sturridge when both are fully fit?

He also did all of this in a much less competitive league than the PL.

There isn't much better around IMO, but fully fit hasn't happened much in the last 18 months for Daniel. I'm not writing him off plenty of players have overcome injuries. Sturridge has 33 goals in 55 league appearances, when he plays he scores no doubt about it.

Lacazette at £40m would be a huge risk and I wouldn't see it as the marquee signing that others would, he would struggle to replicate 27 league goals in the PL IMO. Benteke at £25m-£30m remains my preference if a deal can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

That David Silva lad is half decent.

Vincent Kompany when on form is up there with the best Centre Backs in the League. Although he was signed relatively cheaply.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I dunno, I think the way he is used as a utility man may his downfall in development. Either your a toaster or a heater of beans or a fryer of eggs. I much prefer the regular two slice toasters.

A two slide toaster! I bet you don't live in a house with loads of kids! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Joe Allen looks like Borini's and Squidward's love child in the photos in that article...

2A87ADBA00000578-3162117-image-a-10_1436956396185.jpg

Wow the stadium really was empty. I know it has been pointed out that serveral factors led to this but if you aren't competing for trophies eventually the supply line of new fans starts to dry up. Kids now are picking City/Chelsea and have been for many years. We have traded on our past to keep us a global brand but without success on the pitch that isn't always going to be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The stadium was full before the monsoon came down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement