Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Remind me what antics he has gotten up to that mean he should be slated left, right and center by the media and the club, aside from a poor goalscoring return from a very small sample (800 minutes - less than 10 games, 8 starts, subbed on 6 times and off 4 times)

Red cards? 0
    Training ground bust ups? 0
    Fireworks let off at his gaff? 0
    Items fired at youths? 0
    ****e talked about him in the media, including from his own manager - plenty.

4 Goals in 24 appearances - not sure how many minutes but very few full games. It's a poor return, it's a small sample, he was playing on his own a lot of the time while getting slated left, right and center with little support from the manager or club who seem happy to scapegoat him in what was a **** season all round for the club. How did the other strikers do? ****. How many goals did the team score? **** all.

His record overall in the premier league, 20 goals from 70 appearances - is this that far off? Not really, not over the tiny sample size so far. Who is to blame? Should we be surprised? Should Brod? No.

Crouch (love Crouch) didn't score in his first 24 hours of football at LFC, probably more than Mario has played thus far.

It is a very lazy narrative that the media are happy to keep spinning. Eeverything is Mario's fault and the club and manager happy too to fall in line in order to detract from a poor overall season from the club and manager.

Lazare played more, scored similar and cost more, where are the headlines about him. Bunch of sheep.

Sound post m8 icon14.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If we get rid of borini, ballotelli and enrique this will be a super window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Liverpool are never value imo

What about this weekend you seemed confident of a Liverpool win admittedly you thought they were at home but anyway they're 13/10 best price, bit of value no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

balo2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hard to disagree with NukaCola there.

I don't particularly think Balotelli deserves the special levels of criticism he's been getting - but he's done literally nothing to deserve any praise either. He pretty much deserves to either be used as distant backup, or quietly ushered out of the door.

Sure, he was badly used - but I would expect a decent striker to still produce something. Instead he marked himself out of the game as often as not.

One league goal. One. Almost any player you throw up top for that number of minutes should produce better than that regardless how out of position or misused they are. Christ, even Kyrgiakos was thrown up top for portions of games in the past - an immobile big guy who isn't and has never been a striker, and he did better in far fewer minutes.

I totally accept that in a team around him he'll do better, but to deserve that sort of setup, he needs to produce something in a team not tailored to his needs.

Doesn't deserve to be 'thrown under a bus', but hasn't produced anything to be seen as anything other than a failure in his time on the field either. And that's on him.

Im an awful lot happier to have Benteke up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What about this weekend you seemed confident of a Liverpool win admittedly you thought they were at home but anyway they're 13/10 best price, bit of value no?
    Liverpool are never value because a disproportionate amount of money is bet on them, driving down the odds, because they have a huge fanbase. It's just basic bookmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Liverpool are never value because a disproportionate amount of money is bet on them, driving down the odds, because they have a huge fanbase. It's just basic bookmaking.

I agree they can be priced terribly a lot, especially at home to bottom half teams, but I wouldn't say they're never value, I guess value is like beauty in that it's in the eye of the beholder! If I priced Liverpool at Evs to beat Stoke and then I saw it was 13/10 then that would be value to me. Bookies are good but they're not perfect even with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool are as unlucky as ****, that's why you shouldn't bet on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Have we a FF league this year?

Far too lazy to search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Have we a FF league this year?

Far too lazy to search.

Yes it's there if you were in last years one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yes it's there if you were in last years one.

Just saw that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with NukaCola there.

I don't particularly think Balotelli deserves the special levels of criticism he's been getting - but he's done literally nothing to deserve any praise either. He pretty much deserves to either be used as distant backup, or quietly ushered out of the door.

Here is a challenge for anyone inclined - hopefully it will put things in perspective.

Find a single post whereby Mario is receiving any praise for his performances last season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If we dont shift Mario this window, I'd like to see him work his fooking socks off to get into the team.
    I doubt he will, but I would love to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If we dont shift Mario this window, I'd like to see him work his fooking socks off to get into the team.
    I doubt he will, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Much the same , but we're definitely wrong :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Here is a challenge for anyone inclined - hopefully it will put things in perspective.

Find a single post whereby Mario is receiving any praise for his performances last season.

Thats an easy one!

All you need to search is "Liverpool Spurs Balotelli "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He was the best Liverpool player in the FA Cup semi, and he was only on for 20 odd minutes.

Oh I just meant that in 9 months at the club, he hasn't done anything deserving of praise - not that anyone was praising him incorrectly. Could have written it better, sorry!

Meant, like, he's had a lot of time and even though he's been misused, I still would have expected him to show something.

Like, the best that can be said for him is that sometimes he actually tried, and looked like a footballer. But that should be the base requirement, and only highlights how much of the time he actually just hid on the pitch and wasn't arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

He was the best Liverpool player in the FA Cup semi, and he was only on for 20 odd minutes.

Ah yes...the Andy Carroll defence.

I think most people get that he didn't have a good season but there are a number of others *cough*Lovren*cough* that had bad seasons and they weren't hung out to dry.

People don't like scapegoating because its lazy and detracts from what actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

brevity wrote: »
    I think most people get that he didn't have a good season but there are a number of others *cough*Lovren*cough* that had bad seasons and they weren't hung out to dry.

People don't like scapegoating because its lazy and detracts from what actually happened.

Where is the scapegoating though? He is being moved on, simple as that.

Maybe Lovren was worse, but something makes management think he deserves another shot.

Maybe Lovren was worse, but something makes management think he deserves another shot.

Yeah, we do kind of just have to accept that the management staff see a hell of a lot more of these guys than we do, so will make decisions we might not agree with, but are based in reason.

I really hope to christ Lovren shows something this year and proves us all wrong. Would still have Sakho ahead of him every day of the week though.

Because Rodgers wanted one and not the other perhaps. Which as the manager he is entitled to do I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, we do kind of just have to accept that the management staff see a hell of a lot more of these guys than we do, so will make decisions we might not agree with, but are based in reason.

I really hope to christ Lovren shows something this year and proves us all wrong. Would still have Sakho ahead of him every day of the week though.

Well Lovren must show more than Sakho to the management staff then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

a top, top bar

moro.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I see something is having a bad affect on the city squad

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

sword1 wrote: »

what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I remember a couple of games where Lawro(the silken shirted sucubus) would slate Balotelli, as he does when he doesn't like a player and most people jumped to Mario's defense. Most of us wanted it to happen with Mario, I think the only staunch critics of him were Rarnes and Turty who, to be fair, were against the transfer from the start. It just didn't happen unfortunately.

Rodgers said from the start that Liverpool was Mario's last chance to prove himself at the top level, he laid down a challenge and Mario didnt step up. Some people are saying "oh but he didnt set off any fireworks or crash a car or bring a homeless bloke to a stripclub etc. etc." as if that is some kind of glowing character reference. Funny stuff really. We've all seen the videos and heard the stories of Mario acting the maggot in training, yous think that stopped when he came to Liverpool?

Balotelli seems to be a stick to beat Rodgers with in this thread. Do you think Benitez or Dalgish would persevere with him? I doubt it, he'd be out on his ear. Why are people going to bat for a player who never went to bat for this club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

BMMachine wrote: »
    what exactly?
    Aguero, Silva and nasri out with a virus, it could be that mystery illness that kept sterling out was contagious, takes a month for symptoms to appear

• Advertisement

It's been fairly clear for quite a while that Sterling was toxic.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Have a good feeling about this year even though I'm blazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I remember a couple of games where Lawro(the silken shirted sucubus) would slate Balotelli, ...

I'll be relieved when Mario moves on, for everyone's sake, but there's something intangible about the way Lawro in particular and some others in the media criticised him, something in the vehement tone and inconsistency with treatment of other players, that just made my skin crawl.

I doubt I'm unique in that regard, and it somewhat explains the lenghts some will go to in defending him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

brevity wrote: »
    Because Rodgers wanted one and not the other perhaps. Which as the manager he is entitled to do I guess...

I have a feeling lovren could be ironically what loses Rodgers his job in the end, I think he will stubbornly persist with him on be basis of him being "his man". Never seen as bad a centre back at the club.

Indeed, he said some utterly ridiculous things on a match commentary while Mario was playing. So much so that I wrote an email to TV3. One of their lackeys wrote back about six days later saying they were a bit busy with a few meetings and I'd hear back soon. Not a peep.

He is a grade A tool, an angry bitter man who thinks he is a journalist. I'd say his wife and him are not intimate often enough for starters, and his golf game isn't where he would like it.

You've reminded me of a pile of weird abuse

Dear David,
    How are things?

I wish to draw your attention to the constant stream of abuse levelled at one Mario Balotelli by your co-commentator, Mark Lawrenson during the Besiktas vs Liverpool Europa League match currently being broadcast this evening.

Among the countless barrage of insults thus far (I haven't kept track as they are incessant and I am quite busy procrastinating on things that I ought to tend to. Perhaps you can empathise?) are that Mario is both 'dozy' and 'brainless'.
    This is a mere a snippet of a stream of abuse which is unending, jarring and quite frankly very dull.

It is also illustrative of a clear, strong and prior bias held towards the man in question, one which suggests in my mind that Mr Lawrenson is not fit to carry out the task required of him.

Frankly (and I've always had the good grace to keep this under my hat David, at least on a national level), I have long found Mark's commentary and attempted analysis to be both quite dozy and a bit brainless.
    Should you wish to continue to hire washed up former Liverpool F.C lackeys (and I say that as a lifelong Liverpool F.C fan - for my sins) such as Mark (please not Ronnie Whelan), a bit of variety would be welcomed?
    A change is as good as a holiday, as they say.

I assure you that these characters are not in short supply and if you so wish, I can provide a shortlist of suitable candidates all of whom would more than fit the bill.

I also speculate that they would likely be willing to start on a lower salary/rate than our Mark currently enjoys, which would leave precious extra funds for you to spend on beloved TV3 offerings such as Xposé and Psychic Readings live.

Yours sincerely,
    <name>

P.S Luis Garcia is a top, top lad.

No idea what sort of authority this site is or isn't, player ratings
    MARIO BALOTELLI– 6/10

As usual, there were those in the media willing to criticise Balotelli whatever he did, but his performance was actually fairly impressive.

His touch evaded him a few times, but his hold-up play was excellent and he worked far harder than Sterling and Daniel Sturridge. He looked livid to be substituted in the second-half, and rightly so to be fair.

RAHEEM STERLING– 4/10

Sterling produced an absolutely terrible performance from start to finish; arguably one of his worst ever in a Liverpool shirt.

The 20-year-old’s touch and movement was woeful throughout, but the most alarming part of his game was his sulky, almost disinterested attitude. Is all this speculation over his future affecting him? And why did he opt out of taking a penalty?

Note: Strurridge - 4/10, Lovern - 5/10
    Link to piece: http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/02/besiktas-1-0-liverpool-besiktas-won-5-4-penalties-player-ratings/

On another note, Mark said this when writing a piece published two days prior to the match described above
    Mark wrote:
    I don’t want to have a downer on him. He is a good lad, and a lot of this just comes down to him wanting to be loved.

The ****?

Oh and finally, for good measure. We lost that Europa League match on penalties and got knocked out of the Europa League.
    Mario played 82 minutes, and then was subbed off. 8 minutes before the end of the game and impending penalty shootout, our best penalty taker by a country mile and one of the current greatest penalty takers there is, is subbed off (and appears livid)

Take a bow Brendan, take a bow. Explain that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ah yes...the Andy Carroll defence.

Ah yes, the deflect when someone answers a direct question with a direct answe defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

klose wrote: »
    I have a feeling lovren could be ironically what loses Rodgers his job in the end, I think he will stubbornly persist with him on be basis of him being "his man". Never seen as bad a centre back at the club.

Torben Piechnik, Nicky Tanner, Stig Inge Bjornebye were all woeful CBs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I remember that Besiktas game, and bizarrely it was one of Mario better games.

Yet Lawrenson (I refuse to call hime "Lawro" as that suggests I'm fond of him) took every opportunity to sigh loudly and just going OTT in general everytime something didn't work for Mario.

Lawrenson. Houghton. Whelan. Three men that have made a living from constantly criticising their former club and who absolutely disgust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I remember that Besiktas game, and bizarrely it was one of Mario better games.

Yet Lawrenson (I refuse to call hime "Lawro" as that suggests I'm fond of him) took every opportunity to sigh loudly and just going OTT in general everytime something didn't work for Mario.

Lawrenson. Houghton. Whelan. Three men that have made a living from constantly criticising their former club and who absolutely disgust me.

Houghton is nothing like Whelan. I've always found him quite pro-liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Houghton is nothing like Whelan. I've always found him quite pro-liverpool

Houghton was insufferable when Rafa was in charge.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's been fairly clear for quite a while that Sterling was toxic.

:cool:

I think you need another name change.

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »

The pre season losses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone catch Tony Barrrett on Off the Ball last night?

Fairly balanced preview of the season - nothing too groundbreaking....reckons Benteke will be a success etc.

A couple of interesting nuggets about Jordan Ibe - apparently he went training with the Academy guys recently in a training session because Kenny Dalglish was involved in it; and he supposedly rejected Man City before joining us despite them offering more money.

So in short, he is Dr X in comparison to Raheem Magneto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cartman78 wrote: »

Fairly balanced preview of the season - nothing too groundbreaking....reckons Benteke will be a success etc.

A couple of interesting nuggets about Jordan Ibe - apparently he went training with the Academy guys recently in a training session because Kenny Dalglish was involved in it; and he supposedly rejected Man City before joining us despite them offering more money.

Gonna listen to it now.

Link: http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Off_the_Ball_Football_Show/100241/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

malcolm-x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I wouldn't speak too soon. He is a footballer after all. If he has a good season either this year or next and the big clubs start sniffing around he'll do exactly like what Torres did and what Suarez did and what Sterling did. He'll move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lawrenson sounds like he's sipping a whiskey or some other bitterness inducing substance whilst hanging out, killing time in the commentary box.

Leaving aside Liverpool games where he infuriates me beyond belief, he "commentated" on a Real Madrid game two seasons ago where he stated that the Real 'keeper looked "Like a Bumblebee," at least 7 times in the 90 minutes. My relatives couldn't annoy me more inside an hour and a half like that man can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wouldn't speak too soon. He is a footballer after all. If he has a good season either this year or next and the big clubs start sniffing around he'll do exactly like what Torres did and what Suarez did and what Sterling did. He'll move on.
    Yea, at this stage, I don't think Ibe is there yet. Right now, it's Coutinho who you would feel is on the verge of maybe making a breakthrough to become an sought after player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That was discussed at the time - he was not included in the England U20s so he decided to use his time to improve his shooting.

Also on Ibe the new Nigeria manager wants him to declare for the Super Eagles (his dad is Nigerian) I really hope he doesn't and sticks with England. He would easily have a place in the current squad and that means travel and the ACN every other January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

D'Agger wrote: »
    Lawrenson sounds like he's sipping a whiskey or some other bitterness inducing substance whilst hanging out, killing time in the commentary box.

Leaving aside Liverpool games where he infuriates me beyond belief, he "commentated" on a Real Madrid game two seasons ago where he stated that the Real 'keeper looked "Like a Bumblebee," at least 7 times in the 90 minutes. My relatives couldn't annoy me more inside an hour and a half like that man can.

Every time a Liverpool player I like retires, I pray that they go straight into coaching or eff and play golf.

I don't want to feel like this about LFC players I liked. I spitefully made a complaint to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland once about Lawrenson, on TV3 CL coverage he actually referred to Oliver Kahn as "the n****r in the woodpile at Bayern", Packie Bonnar just about soiled his strides and cut straight to an ad. Could you imagine if he'd done that on BBC? Their response was basically " yerra, tis grand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kfallon wrote: »
    Torben Piechnik, Nicky Tanner, Stig Inge Bjornebye were all woeful CBs

Plenty of decent left fulls probably are.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement