Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Balotelli doesn't work hard in training, doesn't do what he is told on the pitch, doesn't have a great attitude? That maybe his reputation is deserved?

You don't have to be setting off fireworks in inappropriate places to have the wrong attitude.

It's just assumed that he is being unfairly thrown under a bus by the manager.

Lazar Markovic, who played much of his season at Right Wing Back, and had, by most accounts, a poor season, scored more goals per minute than Balotelli, who played up front in every appearance. That fact alone, means Balotelli can have no complaints about not being in our plans anymore.

According to James Pearce in the Echo he missed training on a regular basis with pitiful excuses each time.

But lets be honest when your looking at a player and looking for positives and some of the positives are he didnt throw darts at his fellow players or didnt set his bathroom on fire and didnt have a training ground bust up it kind tells you everything you need to know about the player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Has anyone seen the liverpool website? Its like a child got caught in 1991 and hit some buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wouldn't speak too soon. He is a footballer after all. If he has a good season either this year or next and the big clubs start sniffing around he'll do exactly like what Torres did and what Suarez did and what Sterling did. He'll move on.

So It begins..

He'll get a called up for England in the next round of Internationals.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-starlet-jordon-ibe-target-6201915

Nigeria have made a cheeky bid to snatch rising Liverpool star Jordon Ibe from England’s clutches.
    But Ibe is eligible to play for Nigeria through his father, David, and representatives from the African nation were at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground on Wednesday to sound out the player over a switch of allegiances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I remember a couple of games where Lawro(the silken shirted sucubus) would slate Balotelli, as he does when he doesn't like a player and most people jumped to Mario's defense. Most of us wanted it to happen with Mario, I think the only staunch critics of him were Rarnes and Turty who, to be fair, were against the transfer from the start. It just didn't happen unfortunately.

Yep I was against him from the start, got on board with it for hangballlouie, was impressed with his debut, thought he was treated harshly at times in the beginning, but as I said the other day he's a failure who'll only be discussed alongside Carroll, Diouf and those lads as the worst signings the club has made.

Now I'm just laughing at his staunchest defender trying to argue he should be kept based on one match three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That was discussed at the time - he was not included in the England U20s so he decided to use his time to improve his shooting.

Also on Ibe the new Nigeria manager wants him to declare for the Super Eagles (his dad is Nigerian) I really hope he doesn't and sticks with England. He would easily have a place in the current squad and that means travel and the ACN every other January.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    So It begins..

He'll get a called up for England in the next round of Internationals.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-starlet-jordon-ibe-target-6201915

:waves:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

corwill wrote: »
    Every time a Liverpool player I like retires, I pray that they go straight into coaching or eff and play golf.

I don't want to feel like this about LFC players I liked. I spitefully made a complaint to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland once about Lawrenson, on TV3 CL coverage he actually referred to Oliver Kahn as "the n****r in the woodpile at Bayern", Packie Bonnar just about soiled his strides and cut straight to an ad. Could you imagine if he'd done that on BBC? Their response was basically " yerra, tis grand".

These will give you a good chuckle if you haven't read them already. All the contributors took it in turns to write a piece on him. All the ones dated dated the 22nd August.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/tag/lawro/

Sakho came in and finished Anfield. :D

CK371bAWUAAToNB.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He's a bit of work to do there around the gates. Fecking kip, la.

The whole area needed a proper seeing to by the Luftwaffe, not just the chip shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kfallon wrote: »
    Stig Inge Bjornebye

Only thing I can think of is that you're confusing him with Bjørn Tore Kvarme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

8-10 wrote: »

I'm not, when he signed first he played a good few games with Piechnik at CB and they were awful! He was essentially a LB or LWB but he did play some games at CB very early in his Liverpool career!

Team line up from that Bolton defeat at Anfield in Cup Replay, Jan 1993
    http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'm not, when he signed first he played a good few games with Piechnik at CB and they were awful! He was essentially a LB or LWB but he did play some games at CB very early in his Liverpool career!

Team line up from that Bolton defeat at Anfield in Cup Replay, Jan 1993
    http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1889

Jesus, that was a piss poor team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jesus, that was a piss poor team

Was it? Jones, Bjornebye, Walters, Redknapp, Barnes and Thomas were all decent players. Hutchinson and Fowler off the bench too...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Was it? Jones, Bjornebye, Walters, Redknapp, Barnes and Thomas were all decent players. Hutchinson and Fowler off the bench too...

Bjornebye was not good most of the time, and I hated Walters. He was so crap it was painful at times. Being so soon after we were so successful made the Souness years all the more painful I think.

Torben Piechnik though encapsulated the crapness of that era for me, although there are plenty of other contenders too like Dicks, Stewart, even Clough after a decent start. Grim times.

Walters was poor, half the time his step overs fooled himself!
    Barnes was hardly in the team during Souness time, spent most of it injured.

Mark Wright didn't come into his own til Evans took over and Stewart was tuly awful. Fowler only really made his breakthrough the following season.

Hutchison was a player I did like tho, just a pity he got involved with Budweiser :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5starpool wrote: »
    Bjornebye was not good most of the time, and I hated Walters. He was so crap it was painful at times. Being so soon after we were so successful made the Souness years all the more painful I think.

Torben Piechnik though encapsulated the crapness of that era for me, although there are plenty of other contenders too like Dicks, Stewart, even Clough after a decent start. Grim times.

The first season I have any proper recollection of is 1997.

Well, aside from walking in on a Rome 84 rerun after an Irish World Cup match in 94, and laughing my three year old ass off at Grobbelaar's legs during the penalty shoot out.

At least I have Istanbul and the FA Cup the year after, but you got to actually see Liverpool win stuff regularly!

Listen, I know Sounness signed a lot of dross. But the structure of the squad can't have been that bad when you consider that Evans got us back up the table relatively quickly and managed a few cup runs, etc. I know there were some bad players in that lineup (and maybe Walters was worse than I remember) but there was a workable spine to it.

I think a couple of the Hodgson lineups were much worse.

Knex. wrote: »

:eek:

Get out of here ya pup :mad:

Do we have any teenagers posting on here? I think the fact that we're all on a forum means we're relatively out of touch already. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Listen, I know Sounness signed a lot of dross. But the structure of the squad can't have been that bad when you consider that Evans got us back up the table relatively quickly and managed a few cup runs, etc. I know there were some bad players in that lineup (and maybe Walters was worse than I remember) but there was a workable spine to it.

It was pretty poor. What was making it worse was that Souness was getting rid of the likes of Staunton, Houghton, even Saunders despite him being top scorer just to bring in dross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

There's no one below pension age can point to worse from memory.

Koncheskey - worst ever LB? And the competition for the accolade is not inconsiderable.

I don't think Souness was that popular with the players, especially the senior ones!

He was a bit unlucky in that Evans saw the best of Fowler, McManaman and Redknapp when Souness was the one that gave them their chance. He did sign some rubbish tho (Istvan Kozma anyone???) and I used to think Phil Boersma must have been the worst physio ever because while he was at the club we had an unreal, ongoing injury crisis!

He let Staunton, McMahon, Houghton and Beardsley go and it was too much change in too quick a time. He never replaced them properly, just bought rubbish players who he thought would add steel to the team.

8-10 wrote: »

Kvarme being useful at Real Sociedad that year they nearly won La Liga with Nihat and Kovacevic upfront really irked me. Some of my earlier Liverpool memories are of him getting put to the sword by the likes of Celta Vigo in Europe.

Koncheskey - worst ever LB? And the competition for the accolade is not inconsiderable.

David Burrows was awful imo!

Do we have any teenagers posting on here? I think the fact that we're all on a forum means we're relatively out of touch already. :)

Yerra, leave the chiselers to their Bebo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shawcross is out for Stoke on Sunday, good news for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mvila to Sunderland is complete. Interesting to see how he does given how well regarded he was on here a few years back.

David Burrows was awful imo!

Like Lahm compared to poor auld Paul, IMHO. Penalty points deduction for being a bit ginger, mind.

Staunton and Beardsley being let go were particularly irritating mistakes.

Jaw-droppingly counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Well, aside from walking in on a Rome 84 rerun after an Irish World Cup match in 94, and laughing my three year old ass off at Grobbelaar's legs during the penalty shoot out.

At least I have Istanbul and the FA Cup the year after, but you got to actually see Liverpool win stuff regularly!

Houllier's reign was when my memories and fandom started to fully kick in.

Needless to say, I don't remember many glory days.....remember plenty of Man U's though. :mad:

Like Lahm compared to poor auld Paul, IMHO. Penalty points deduction for being a bit ginger, mind.

Burrows was terrible but when you're winning leagues you get away with it. Some man to give away a peno!

And Houghton was by far our best player in Souness first season but was allowed leave that summer.....tho I think he wanted out rather than was pushed!

And I don't give a bollix what anyone thinks, I'm gonna say it now and I'm gonna say it proudly....I LOVED the Evans era! There you go, I make no apologies for saying it!

When they were good, they were the best team in the League but when they played badley, they were awful. But some of the football was fantastic, tearing teams to shreds at Anfield, Fowler and McManaman in full flight.

Still won fúck all tho :pac:

Hmmm, not sure about. I reckon its what yer man Stuart Townsend feels when he sees a poster of Charlize Theron in a bus shelter, as he waits for the 123 to drop him over to the Intreo centre.

Evans era produced the sort of barking mad football only the 2013/14 season has equalled.

Beardsley was the worst one imo. He had some very good seasons with Everton after he left us. It seemed like Souness wanted to change things for the sake of it. I know we had a reasonably old squad when he took over, but he was too quick to change things around. Keeping a few more of the players who had served us so well for the previous few years while introducing a few of his own players would have been the smart thing to do.

The amount of injuries we suffered though after he took over was unreal. It'd be hard not to blame whatever training methods he introduced given how quickly it escalated into a proper crisis.

As for remembering when we were successful, then yes I do, but I was 13 in our last title win, which is enough to remember the previous few seasons but not old enough to properly enjoy it really I think.

Evans era produced the sort of barking mad football only the 2013/14 season has equalled.

Very few appreciate how close we came to winning it under Roy in 96/97 as we fell away badly in the end. We eventually finished a few points behind, and looking at the table it was a crazy season. 75 points was enough to win the league, and 2nd-4th all finished on 68 points. We really had a great chance to win the league that year.

And I don't give a bollix what anyone thinks, I'm gonna say it now and I'm gonna say it proudly....I LOVED the Evans era! There you go, I make no apologies for saying it!

When they were good, they were the best team in the League but when they played badley, they were awful. But some of the football was fantastic, tearing teams to shreds at Anfield, Fowler and McManaman in full flight.

Still won fúck all tho :pac:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._4–3_Newcastle_United_F.C._(1996)

Most fun I've ever had watching LFC, bar Istanbul 2005. There was a lock-in in the pub that night as well, woke up in a car park the next morning. Fairly ruined that week's exam study plan.

Still fond of Roy, he'd throw himself on a grenade for the club.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96510169&postcount=4584

Thanked by Potential UnderAchiever.....you couldn't script it :D

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Very few appreciate how close we came to winning it under Roy in 96/97 as we fell away badly in the end. We eventually finished a few points behind, and looking at the table it was a crazy season. 75 points was enough to win the league, and 2nd-4th all finished on 68 points. We really had a great chance to win the league that year.

We went head to head with United for the title....and finished 4th :pac:

The home defeat to Coventry was particularly gauling, it was on a Sunday but not on the box. One of the lads had 5 Live on, Fowler scores, 1-0, that's the 3 points in the bag.

Come back an hour later and we got beat 2-1, James having one of his 'special' moments! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Jones I will give you, one of the best full backs we had in the last 30 years.
    Redknapp wasnt bad, still too lightweight and not enough end product for me
    Barnes was on the wain at that stage
    As for the rest of the starting team, meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No, under Souness we were very poor. There was even genuine fear of relegation at one point.

His big mistake was trying to change an aging squad too quickly instead of doing it gradually.

Difference with Evans was that he brought through Fowler, McManaman and Owen.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Difference with Evans was that he brought through Fowler, McManaman and Owen.

Souness brought thru Fowler and McManaman....and Redknapp!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96510169&postcount=4584

Thanked by Potential UnderAchiever.....you couldn't script it :D

Yup apropos!

I loved that team and that era too, they were the days tbh, I wish I could go back! Loved Berger, Fowler, McManaman. Particular game that sticks out for me was playing Aston Villa at home and going 3-0 up after 10 mins! What a time to be alive!

We went head to head with United for the title....and finished 4th :pac:

The home defeat to Coventry was particularly gauling, it was on a Sunday but not on the box. One of the lads had 5 Live on, Fowler scores, 1-0, that's the 3 points in the bag.

Come back an hour later and we got beat 2-1, James having one of his 'special' moments! :rolleyes:

I remember that game well as it was on the box, Sky Sports, remember being in the pub with loads of Mancs jumping around with James's howlers whilst I choked on my pint.
    We lost the league that day and then faded away. Up to that game we were right up there challending.

That really was an underachieving squad with the talent that was on show.

• Advertisement

Souness brought thru Fowler and McManaman....and Redknapp!

Yes, but they really blossomed under Evans and developed as players.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I remember that game well as it was on the box, Sky Sports, remember being in the pub with loads of Mancs jumping around with James's howlers whilst I choked on my pint.
    We lost the league that day and then faded away. Up to that game we were right up there challending.

That really was an underachieving squad with the talent that was on show.

I'm 99.9% certain it wasn't on the box, it may have been played on a Sunday cos we either played in Europe that midweek or else it could have been Grand National weekend!

Kicked off at 3pm so not on Sky
    http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/2112

Yup apropos!

I loved that team and that era too, they were the days tbh, I wish I could go back! Loved Berger, Fowler, McManaman. Particular game that sticks out for me was playing Aston Villa at home and going 3-0 up after 10 mins! What a time to be alive!

Pub closes for Holy Hour, everyone banging on the door at 4pm to be left in for match. Door open at 4.05pm, run in, 2-0 up already, everyone calls bar staff "cúnts" for not opening in time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jesus christ the new website is a disaster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

jesus christ the new website is a disaster...

What webiste?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement