Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski/Snowboard trip (beginner) Winter 2015/2016

Options
  • 14-07-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for your help there are 3 of us Girls looking to book a ski/snowboarding trip this winter season 15/16. Has anybody got any ideas on the best locations and value packages for beginners or the best way to go about it? When we should book etc? I've heard some people say that there aren't very many value packages out there at the moment?
    Any feedback would be much appreciated,

Thanks a mil,
    Aoife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

France, Italy or Andorra are normally best for beginners and package deals.
    I haven't been to Andorra myself so can't comment further.

For Italy I think Livigno or Cervinia might suit.
    France, anywhere that's cheap! Avoriaz, Alpe D'huez etc.

I don't know who does the package deals so you could just keep an eye out on Crystal or Direct Ski. Maybe others might have more information!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

DoraDelite wrote: »
    France, Italy or Andorra are normally best for beginners and package deals.
    I haven't been to Andorra myself so can't comment further.

For Italy I think Livigno or Cervinia might suit.
    France, anywhere that's cheap! Avoriaz, Alpe D'huez etc.

I don't know who does the package deals so you could just keep an eye out on Crystal or Direct Ski. Maybe others might have more information!!

I'll second Avoriaz, well actually I'd suggest Morzine instead of Avoriaz, but they're very to each other (15 min free bus trip), and can be skiied/boarded between.

Morzine has a lovely long blue slope, Piste B, that is great for learning on, it's about 3 or 4k long so it never gets boring, and if you graduate beyond Piste B there are lots of excellent slopes for improving on.

Morzine is about an hour away from Geneva, so you can be on the slops by lunchtime. It's a lovely quaint village with an OK (not crazy) nightlife. The only negative I can think of is its altitude, it's only at 1000m so you're not absolutely guaranteed snow, but if there isn't, just jump on the bus to Avoriaz, where you'll definitely get it. You can increase your chance of snow cover by leaving your trip to late January.

I stayed in Morzine about 4 times, I love it, but I outgrew it :( each time I went I stayed in a great little hotel called Le Grand Tetras.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Good old piste B! I got thrown down it the afternoon of my very 1st day skiing ha, there is a huge hill on the middle part of it which got nicknamed snowplough Hill because me and my beginner friend both attempted to snowplough down it with disastrous consequences ha. But nay morzine gets my vote also, flights into Geneva are very reasonable at the minute, I'm looking at booking very soon in mid Jan.

The other place which is well recommended on boards is soll in Austria. Both are relatively low, I'd be avoiding before say 7th Jan and after March just to be sure of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Good old piste B! I got thrown down it the afternoon of my very 1st day skiing ha, there is a huge hill on the middle part of it which got nicknamed snowplough Hill because me and my beginner friend both attempted to snowplough down it with disastrous consequences ha. But nay morzine gets my vote also, flights into Geneva are very reasonable at the minute, I'm looking at booking very soon in mid Jan.

The other place which is well recommended on boards is soll in Austria. Both are relatively low, I'd be avoiding before say 7th Jan and after March just to be sure of snow

Yeah, there are two sections on Piste B that could prove challenging to a novice (but hey, no pain no gain!) the first bit is quite steep (Red steep) and near the top of the piste but only about 20mtrs long, second is closer to the end (I'd say that's the one you're referring to) and has a dog leg turn to add to the fun, I use to love going into that one!

Someone starting out will find Piste B scary on day one and will love it by day three.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

I love Sauze D'oulx as a good budget ski option in Italy - loads of nice runs, nice little village with top notch food once you wander away from the main square and cheap to drink in for the week. Also, despite the fact that it isn't Austria, we've had fantastic apres ski each year we visited Sauze.

Saalbach is my personal favourite resort, though more expensive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

I love Sauze D'oulx as a good budget ski option in Italy - loads of nice runs, nice village with top notch food once you wander away from the main square and cheap and great fun to drink in for the week. Despite the fact that it isn't Austria, we've had fantastic apres ski each year we visited Sauze. Have always travelled with two other girls there as well. Great spot.

Saalbach is my personal favourite resort, though more expensive..

Mayrhofen is another option - I did book a fantastic and cheap apartment there a few years ago but I didn't personally love the resort (though most others do!).

If you are looking for value, DIY. Avoid the package options - though you can always go with Crystal ski for your flights and transfers only - you can only arrange this over the phone with them. Check out flight options - most resorts have info to help you arrange transfers. Check out the tourist office for the resort for accommodation options. Personally, I'm always happy to go for a basic apartment/hotel room as I spend very little time in it during a holiday. Booking and paying for your flights and accommodation now, means that the cost of equipment hire, lift pass and ski school doesn't hurt as much next year! Wherever you decide to go, make sure you do go, you won't regret it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

If it's your first ever ski holiday and value is important then Andora is a good bet.
    Livigno in Italy is another good place to learn and a good town at night, great food and very cheap when you get there. There is a very long transfer though.
    Alpe d'Huez is another resort with a good learners set up and is cheaper than some other French resorts.
    Have a look the cheaper options on Crystal Ski and Direct Ski.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hey we are going on our first snowboarding holdiay and went with meribel in france. we got a full package for €1396 each for day after xmas for the week. cannot wait to get started. one thing i have been told is try and borrow most of what you will need and also you will need to take a bath every evening as apparently we will be as sore as hell the next day. hahaha. enjoy!!!

Advertisement