Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting better speeds ... is it possible?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Been an Eircom customer for years, and despite getting poor performance a while back my service has been OK for a while.  I say OK because I'm in an e-fibre area and am only getting 30MB.  UPC have gotten off their backsides and now have 100MB in my estate.  I have 2 questions, first is "Is that it?" I've been told that eircom will just tell me that that's as good as I can have with them, neighbours just a little bit closer to the new green box in the estate are getting 70MB so I thought I'd ask.

My second question is based on my upload speed, at it happens my immediate requirement is for more upload speed, here's what my modem says:
    ============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   17 days: 16 hours: 32 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:      8.190 Mbps       30.718 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:      8.191 Mbps       30.719 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       11.8 dB            9.5 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:        9.3 dBm          11.0 dBm
               Receive Power:       -7.3 dBm         -13.3 dBm
                  Actual INP:       29.0 symbols      30.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       16.6 dB           24.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     17.978 Mbps       33.960 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  5.6    34.7    52.1     N/A    16.4    44.0    68.5   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  5.6    33.9    51.3     N/A    21.6    43.6     N/A   
            SNR Margin(dB): 12.2    11.8    11.7     N/A     9.5     9.5     N/A   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 1.8     5.4     6.3     N/A     8.2     7.8     N/A   

Does this mean in theory I can have more upload whilst keeping my current 30MB d/l? if so how do I go about getting it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

pH wrote: »
    Hi,

Been an Eircom customer for years, and despite getting poor performance a while back my service has been OK for a while.  I say OK because I'm in an e-fibre area and am only getting 30MB.  UPC have gotten off their backsides and now have 100MB in my estate.  I have 2 questions, first is "Is that it?" I've been told that eircom will just tell me that that's as good as I can have with them, neighbours just a little bit closer to the new green box in the estate are getting 70MB so I thought I'd ask.

My second question is based on my upload speed, at it happens my immediate requirement is for more upload speed, here's what my modem says:

Does this mean in theory I can have more upload whilst keeping my current 30MB d/l?  if so how do I go about getting it?

Thanks
    HI pH

I will need to look in to a few things for you, please PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this today.

Cheers
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

pH wrote: »
    Hi,

Does this mean in theory I can have more upload whilst keeping my current 30MB d/l?  if so how do I go about getting it?

Thanks
    HI pH

I will need to look in to a few things for you, please PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this today.

Cheers
    Al

Hi pH

I had escalated this to our technical support team who have advised me that there may be scope to increase your speeds to 40Mb download which may increase your upload speed too. I have been asked to advise you to contact technical support as there is a minor issue on your line and technical support would like to trouble shoot the issue with you over a call. During this call they will also be able to attempt to change your speed profile (download & upload speeds).

I did also raise your reports of neighboring lines availing of faster speeds than your own however the networks team have advised that lines are not laid in direct sight of the cabinet and may take a variety of routes before reaching your address. Once of the reasons why speeds are advertised and provided in terms of ‘up to’.

You can reach technical support on free phone 1901.

Many thanks
    Al

Advertisement