Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Refund

Options
  • 14-07-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So this is the background - I have been renting in my current place for just over 2 years, and moved to a month to month arrangement back in May.

I gave my landlady notice in May of my intention to leave the property on 4th August, which she accepted. I have paid rent due up to that date.

At the beginning of this month a project came up in work which requires me to be overseas with work from the 17 July for a month.

I informed the landlady of this, and we are meeting on 16 July to check meters etc. to determine final bills.

I now see she has the property listed as available to rent from 22 July and will be doing viewings this weekend. I asked her about a refund of rent should she manage to get someone from this date, and she seemed reluctant to consider this.

Do I have any rights here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You gave your required notice in May. Your notice to change that is now two weeks. That's a bit tight to be changing the agreement. The landlady appears to have been accommodating of your changing situation and I'd try to negotiate to meet in the middle, i.e. she gives you a week's rent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scollie2005

I suppose I could have left the place empty for two weeks and arranged for a family member to do the final readings, but I thought I would do her a favour and give her access to the house early to do any painting etc.

I would have no issue if she were unable to rent the property again before 4th August, but advertising it as being available from 22 July, and given the demand in the area, I think this is unlikely.

I would certainly be happy to meet her half way.

Advertisement