Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode Anomolies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

guile4582 wrote: »
    should we start using these eircodes now?

To be brutally honest- the non-sequential nature of the codes- means other than people who can bring up the website and see exactly where a property is- aka people at a computer- or a select few of couriers- there isn't a whole lot of reason for using it.

I was talking to Bord Gais earlier- and asked if they could pull up my property using the EIRCODE- nope,they can't. Their only primary keys are account number or GPRN.

An Post aren't interested- the non-sequential number- means they need the address, come what may (my postman sarcastically said that if he has to use it- that he would be grateful if people would put their EIRCODES on their doors- along with their house number- as how the hell is he to find which house is which otherwise.........

Some couriers are planning on using them. Some companies who organise home deliveries- are planning to charge for any failed deliveries that do not feature an EIRCODE.

In all honesty- there is a strong argument for the introduction of postcodes- dump the current EIRCODES- and bring in a logical, sequential, postcode system. Don't associate it with individual properties- do with a street- so in London for example SE1 2EY- is a small street called Gladstone street with 14 houses on it. Several of them are converting their basements into self contained apartments- all of which can happily use the same code.

I can see us needing to revist this going forward. For 90% of people- we're still going to need a Loc8 and/or geographical coordinates (I prefer coordinates- but they're rather cumbersome).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

plodder wrote: »
    Not sure if would be considered rude, but D11 has a set of codes that begin with D11CK.

Seems to have slipped through the cracks though as they weren't supposed to allow codes that would look like names either.

Excellent! I'm almost jealous. I'd love a code like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

slipped through the cracks eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

guile4582 wrote: »
    slipped through the cracks eh?
    naughty boy ... ;)

In all honesty- there is a strong argument for the introduction of postcodes- dump the current EIRCODES- and bring in a logical, sequential, postcode system. Don't associate it with individual properties- do with a street- so in London for example SE1 2EY- is a small street called Gladstone street with 14 houses on it. Several of them are converting their basements into self contained apartments- all of which can happily use the same code.

I can see us needing to revist this going forward. For 90% of people- we're still going to need a Loc8 and/or geographical coordinates (I prefer coordinates- but they're rather cumbersome).
    The thing is, that doesn't solve the non-unique address problem we have. My parents live in a townland and it wasn't uncommon to have to give cumbersome directions in order to find them. If this system is implemented properly in sat-navs and mapping apps then it should do the job.

I've only ever heard of Loc8 on Boards, what's so good about it?

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I've only ever heard of Loc8 on Boards, what's so good about it?

Whats so good- is lots of Satnavs (all the Garmins for example- others too)- can be unlocked to use Loc8 codes- so potentially you could pop it in your Satnav and off you go. This isn't an option with your Eircode.

Whats so good- is lots of Satnavs (all the Garmins for example- others too)- can be unlocked to use Loc8 codes- so potentially you could pop it in your Satnav and off you go. This isn't an option with your Eircode.
    Are these the codes that Garmin were putting up on buildings in Dublin city centre in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well not yet, I'm sure that will come in the future. We're only on day 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Some companies who organise home deliveries- are planning to charge for any failed deliveries that do not feature an EIRCODE.

[...]

Would I start to charge them companies for ringing me for directions despite eircode given? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

my3cents wrote: »
    The only anomalies are that some people will see that they have been using the wrong postal address for years and have gotten away with it.

The postal address is often different to the actual address because of the way mail is delivered.

And this is actually a problem. The postal address and physical address should map up directly. I've lived in a bunch of other countries and nowhere was the postal address different to the physical address of the property.

I cannot believe anyone would defend the postal address being different to the physical address, but I've found a few of them in this country already. All the more so given that the vast majority of people might have naively assumed that their physical and postal address should normally be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 yacht2003

Does this quallify as an anomaly?
    Eircode website says "All addresses will be assigned an Eircode which is attached to the address rather than the individual and it cannot be changed or personalised."
    Eircode's developers(?) are Gamma/Addressfinder & have an address in D8 with an Eircode of
    D08 XY00
    ...sure looks personalised to me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

yacht2003 wrote: »
    Eircode website says "All addresses will be assigned an Eircode which is attached to the address rather than the individual and it cannot be changed or personalised."
    Eircode's developers(?) are Gamma/Addressfinder & have an address in D8 with an Eircode of
    D08 XY00

I'd like a personalised one. Surely there must be a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mayway wrote: »
    I'd like a personalised one. Surely there must be a way.

Of course there is, first find a house with an Eircode that is personalised for you then buy it and move :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

yacht2003 wrote: »
    D08 XY00

Looks like someone fell to temptation. Not a great example to be setting when you've made a big deal out of not allowing personalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

It's spelled anomalies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mayway wrote: »
    As we all know the eircodes were launched yesterday. This thread can be used to highlight the anomalies that are being found.

Our company moved last year, but the db eircode have still show us at the old location, but the "eircode" letter still arrived at the new place today.

Our company moved last year, but the db eircode have still show us at the old location, but the "eircode" letter still arrived at the new place today.

That sounds like a big failure of the postman to grasp the concept of delivering the eircode letters. I'm guessing the letter was delivered to the company and not the address on the letter?

That sounds like a big failure of the postman to grasp the concept of delivering the eircode letters. I'm guessing the letter was delivered to the company and not the address on the letter?

Its not a failure on the part of the postman- if anything it highlights that the postman had the good sense to follow the address on the letter- and not the Eircode- which pointed to an entirely different (and no longer valid) address for the company........

An Post won that round.

Its not a failure on the part of the postman- if anything it highlights that the postman had the good sense to follow the address on the letter- and not the Eircode- which pointed to an entirely different (and no longer valid) address for the company........

An Post won that round.

Not really because the postman could be disciplined for misdelivering the mail. The postmans job is to deliver the mail to the ADDRESS on the letter not the name. The only reason the eircode letters had any names on them at all was because that was the only way that the postman could deliver to non unique addresses.

If the companies address was non unique then fair enough but if it was unique then that was a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

An Post won that round.

Sounds like An Post lost that round

From what I heard redirections don't exist for eircodes so it's to the building indicated by the code and nowhere else even if the last occupants happened to move out the day before the postie got the letter to deliver .

• Advertisement

My reading of what was posted- was that it had the right Company name and address- but the wrong EIRCODE. Perhaps I was wrong? If it had the right address- but the wrong Eircode- then the postman was right not to follow the inaccurate address- however, ultimately- the aim is to deliver the post to the correct person- not necessarily to the correct address. My favourite is from many years ago- a letter was sent by a cousin in the states to my grandfather- addressed 'Mr. Con XX XXXXXXX, Ireland'. He lived in Athlone at the time- but was in Dublin having some medical tests done. His name and 'Ireland' was sufficient for the letter to reach him (eventually).

An Post are quite remarkable at getting post to people- I don't think most of the public give them the credit that they rightly deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Not really because the postman could be disciplined for misdelivering the mail. The postmans job is to deliver the mail to the ADDRESS on the letter not the name. The only reason the eircode letters had any names on them at all was because that was the only way that the postman could deliver to non unique addresses.

If the companies address was non unique then fair enough but if it was unique then that was a fail.

No doubt the company had made arrangments with An Post for mail to be forwarded to its new address, they probably get dozens of letters sent to the old address.

There may well be implications here for the delivery of the "eircode letter" , this should first require postmen to validate the location before these letters are sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If you look for a house on say Aylmer Road in Newcastle, County Dublin, the Eircode is a D22 one. Interestingly checking the An Post address finder if you type in a house number on that road it offers either Newcastle County Dublin or Newcastle D22 as possible results, but selecting EITHER returns the actual address according to An Post as:

XX Aylmer Road
    Newcastle
    Co. Dublin

Adding Newcastle into D22 seems to be a decision taken by Eircode, rather than An Post it would seem, though it's entirely possible that An Post internally assigns Newcastle to the D22 postal district but when retrieving from the database for display in front end systems, some filter is applied and the D22 is replaced with "County Dublin" as nobody in Newcastle ever wanted a D22 in their address (the merits of that argument are for somewhere else). Eircode may have access to the "deeper" layer and believe that D22 is correct. Hard to say for certain without access to the DB.

This is one of the reasons the old postal districts should have simply died with the advent of Eircode. They should have made no attempt to bake in these legacy codes into the new system. That was a mistake.

I imagine having D22 instead of Co. Dublin- effectively knocks 15-20% off the value of a property........ Plenty of property in the greater area (including much of the Lucan landmass) were deemed Co.Dublin- by a certain Liam Lawlor (who also managed to shift some of Leixlip out of Kildare altogether- and into Lucan- such as those Weston estates just off the Celbridge Road- which were always part of Leixlip- before they got recategorised geographically...........)

If I ended up with a D22 postcode- I'd be pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could be "worse". Rathcoole is now in D24 apparently! A lot of people are going to get angry. My dad actually owned a property that was "reassigned" out of D22 as a result of Lawlor's interference. The funny thing is that property was really deserving of a D22 code. It was 5 minutes walk from Ronanstown. It now has a Lucan Eircode. Putting villages like Newcastle and Rathcoole into D22 and D24 respectively will cause aggravation I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So there is an eircode for my address, however, the address itself is incorrect on the map in that there is a company name on the house as part of the address. The previous owner ran his company from this property. How do I get that removed on the Eircode site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

That Eircode is for your old address, it is not actually for your company or any company or person. You should use the Eircode Finder to get your correct Eircode and return the original Eircode notification to An Post stating that it was delivered to the wrong letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So there is an eircode for my address, however, the address itself is incorrect on the map in that there is a company name on the house as part of the address. The previous owner ran his company from this property. How do I get that removed on the Eircode site?

I think there is an address correction link on the An Post website. An Post can check that the request is valid and update GeoDirectory. A procedure similar to that if not exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Why does everyone think eircode revolves around delivery of letters by an post? If anything an post are the least likely to benefit as they have their own system that has worked for years - but it's based on delivery routes.

I'm in a rural area. It is known by three different names, if I had to call an ambulance it would take me a minute or 2 to describe how to get to the house.

My eircode is now on the wall in kitchen and at door - if there is an emergency I now know that whoever calls emergency services, the location of my house is known immediately.

For that alone it is worth it.

As for those who think the archaic UK system is good - I don't know where to start on its faults. Good for post and junk mail and discrimination - no good for much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My house doesn't seem to have an eircode at all. All the neighbours got their letter already but nothing for us and the house isn't on the map on their website either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement