Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode Anomolies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

bee06 wrote: »
    My house doesn't seem to have an eircode at all. All the neighbours got their letter already but nothing for us and the house isn't on the map on their website either.

So you've blown your cover for running a CIA safe house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

delahuntv wrote: »
    My eircode is now on the wall in kitchen and at door - if there is an emergency I now know that whoever calls emergency services, the location of my house is known immediately.

For that alone it is worth it.
    So it's useful if you have an accident in your home? Other codes would have enabled them to be assigned to every cross roads in the country as well, or to postboxes, telephone boxes, road signs etc. etc. as well as to your home. If you have an accident in a strange place, you'll need to go ask someone living nearby what their Eircode is (if they are home) for Eircode to be of any use to you.

Postcodes that don't uniquely identify your home can be seen as offering just enough detail about where you live but with a degree of anonymity. I can get a quote for insurance from a website using my postcode (here in Germany, old fashioned system) but I don't have to tell the website my actual address. With Eircode, you WILL be telling them exactly where you live. Expect a lot more crap in the post from your casual online queries!!

How can you use Eircode to search for flats to rent on daft? You can't, the routing keys refer to areas that are generally far too big to be useful for such a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

bee06 wrote: »
    My house doesn't seem to have an eircode at all. All the neighbours got their letter already but nothing for us and the house isn't on the map on their website either.

If your address is not in the right location please email customer.services at anpost.ie with the correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Its not a failure on the part of the postman- if anything it highlights that the postman had the good sense to follow the address on the letter- and not the Eircode- which pointed to an entirely different (and no longer valid) address for the company........

An Post won that round.

I think this is wrong- the eircode is for the property, not the company. Companies come and go, its the property address that is assigned the eircode and this stays with the property regardless of the company. If you move property you dont take your eircode with you.

More than likely An Post havent updated their postal address which contains the company name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

threeiron wrote: »
    That Eircode is for your old address, it is not actually for your company or any company or person. You should use the Eircode Finder to get your correct Eircode and return the original Eircode notification to An Post stating that it was delivered to the wrong letter box.

Yeah, that's how we notice the issue.

In fact, the same postperson would deliver to both locations, they close to each other, so he just looked at the company name I assume.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's how we notice the issue.

In fact, the same postperson would deliver to both locations, they close to each other, so he just looked at the company name I assume.

If there was a lot of mail that day then its also possible the Eircode letter was sorted by company name in the sorting office, put in a bundle of other mail for your company and not checked by the postman when the bundle was delivered.

Our company moved last year, but the db eircode have still show us at the old location, but the "eircode" letter still arrived at the new place today.

I forgot to ask did you also get you correct eircode mailing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

my3cents wrote: »
    I forgot to ask did you also get you correct eircode mailing?

Nope. I suppose at one stage we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Does anyone know what database or other source is employed by Eircode to determine the householder name to which their notification is sent?

I see from their website that "Eircode use source data supplied by An Post GeoDirectory Limited, which sources information from Ordnance Survey Ireland, The Placenames Branch (Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) and the Universal Service Provider for postal services in Ireland, An Post. Based on the information provided, Eircodes are generated, assigned and disseminated to the corresponding postal addresses."

This however obviously refers to addresses not householder names - in my case, a letter was delivered into my letterbox this afternoon, with an anglicised version of my name which I have never used for correspondencen or any other purpose, is not registered at any agency such as Property Registration Authority, Revenue Commissioners etc. etc. In fact, I have never received any mail with this incorrect version of my name before. I have however verified from the Eircode that it relates to my property - obviously, I will be returning this unopened notification to the post office tomorrow for return to source, but I am curious nonetheless as to where the name may have originated?

Any suggestions or similar occurrences?

Maidhci wrote: »
    Does anyone know what database or other source is employed by Eircode to determine the householder name to which their notification is sent?

I see from their website that "Eircode use source data supplied by An Post GeoDirectory Limited, which sources information from Ordnance Survey Ireland, The Placenames Branch (Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) and the Universal Service Provider for postal services in Ireland, An Post. Based on the information provided, Eircodes are generated, assigned and disseminated to the corresponding postal addresses."

This however obviously refers to addresses not householder names - in my case, a letter was delivered into my letterbox this afternoon, with an anglicised version of my name which I have never used for correspondencen or any other purpose, is not registered at any agency such as Property Registration Authority, Revenue Commissioners etc. etc. In fact, I have never received any mail with this incorrect version of my name before. I have however verified from the Eircode that it relates to my property - obviously, I will be returning this unopened notification to the post office tomorrow for return to source, but I am curious nonetheless as to where the name may have originated?

It might be addressed to Micky Mouse but if its the right address with the correct eircode then its pointless returning it unopened.

• Advertisement

It might be addressed to Micky Mouse but if its the right address with the correct eircode then its pointless returning it unopened.

If that is the case, why is it addressed to a person at all?

Was it the eircode letter that had your name or a different letter?

PK2008 wrote: »
    Was it the eircode letter that had your name or a different letter?

It was the Eircode letter, delivered this afternoon. I live in a rural part of the country with no house numbers etc. etc. - that is why I am puzzled by this.

It was the Eircode letter, delivered this afternoon. I live in a rural part of the country with no house numbers etc. etc. - that is why I am puzzled by this.

Strange alright, would you ever have registered as a sole trader?

Strange alright, would you ever have registered as a sole trader?

Any registrations undertaken by me have always contained my correct name, as registered on my Birth Certificate, Passport, Driver's licence, Property Registration Authority etc. etc.

Any registrations undertaken by me have always contained my correct name, as registered on my Birth Certificate, Passport, Driver's licence, Property Registration Authority etc. etc.

Might be worth asking your postman?
    Either way though, I guess its the eircode fir the property so not much point in returning it.

Might be worth asking your postman?
    Either way though, I guess its the eircode fir the property so not much point in returning it.

I accept it is the eircode for the property BUT it states that it is addressed to a named householder - I am simply trying to ascertain where Eircode got the householder names for their database.

I accept it is the eircode for the property BUT it states that it is addressed to a named householder - I am simply trying to ascertain where Eircode got the householder names for their database.

Yeh, its a fair enough question, I had thought the letters were addressed to 'the occupier' or something like that. I assume though that its more a question of where An Post Geodirectory got the name given Eircode just take the data An Post give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I live in a rural location and mine said
    Occupier
    My Surname
    The rest of my address

I found that strange as how did they link my name with the house if the database only supposedly has the house address in it.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I live in a rural location and mine said
    Occupier
    My Surname
    The rest of my address

I found that strange as how did they link my name with the house if the database only supposedly has the house address in it.

Check the eircode finder to see what address is there. If the name isnt there then it may be an An Post addition to help the local postman distinguish between non unique addresses. I wasnt being smart before when I said check with the local postman - I assume they must have some way of distinguishing between non uniques (using a name perhaps?), but Id say if its not on the online tool you would be safe to say its not in the eircode database.

• Advertisement

If that is the case, why is it addressed to a person at all?

Probably means you were one of the 30% of addresses in Ireland that were until your eircode arrived non unique. All the none unique eircode letters I've seen had the surname of the householder on them. How else could An Post deliver them?

Probably means you were one of the 30% of addresses in Ireland that were until your eircode arrived non unique. All the none unique eircode letters I've seen had the surname of the householder on them. How else could An Post deliver them?

If you read or had read my original post you would appreaciate that it had a name and surname ( an incorrect anglicised version of my name and surname ) which does not belong to me, as householder and property owner.

If you read or had read my original post you would appreaciate that it had a name and surname ( an incorrect anglicised version of my name and surname ) which does not belong to me, as householder and property owner.

I accept you must be on a database somewhere but at some stage there must have been some human intervention to check any addresses that were non unique and didn't check out across all the databases used. In that case an operator may have just used what they thought was the best name to get the eircode letter to the correct address.

The purpose of the name was only to get the correct eircode to the correct address and its done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I read somewhere else (can't find the post right now) that An Post has it's own database containing descriptions of houses along their routes put together using posties' local knowledge, to help train in new postmen and help deliveries where there was confusion. A postman from Galway said in another thread they were going to be using this when trying to get the eircodes out. Is there any chance some postman of yours past or present might have written down your surname himself mistakenly using the Anglicised version as a previous poster mentioned?

I accept you must be on a database somewhere but at some stage there must have been some human intervention to check any addresses that were non unique and didn't check out across all the databases used. In that case an operator may have just used what they thought was the best name to get the eircode letter to the correct address.

The purpose of the name was only to get the correct eircode to the correct address and its done that.

Thanks for your input! I would have thought that the Eircode postal code should have been sufficient to get the letter to its intended destination, after all, that appears to me to have the rationale for the Eircode postal codes in the first instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can make a data protection act request to ask crapita/eircode about your data source, and force them to correct it. It costs six euros 35 cents tops.

Thanks for your input! I would have thought that the Eircode postal code should have been sufficient to get the letter to its intended destination, after all, that appears to me to have the rationale for the Eircode postal codes in the first instance?

It is but I guess it was more for the postman as an added level of support for the first delivery. (Could be a bit of strain for the postie to try to memorise every eircode matched to every house on their very first delivery, particularly if there are multiple 'non uniques').

From this point on you now have a unique address and while you can still use your old address I have heard stories already of people just using their eircode and getting their post.

You can make a data protection act request to ask crapita/eircode about your data source, and force them to correct it. It costs six euros 35 cents tops.

Id say its An Post you would want to speak to, unless the info is appearing on the online tool its more likely An Post added it to help with the initial delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

delahuntv wrote: »

My eircode is now on the wall in kitchen and at door - if there is an emergency I now know that whoever calls emergency services, the location of my house is known immediately.

For that alone it is worth it.

It's not, since the emergency services have said they will not be using it, at least in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's not, since the emergency services have said they will not be using it, at least in the short term.

Wunderbar. So what is the purpose of this Eircode. An Post aren't sorting post by it- and in any event- as the numbers are non-sequential- it wouldn't work anyway. Courier companies are using an alternate system (the Loc8 system)- and then any of us tradionalists- in addition to physical addresses- use GPS coordinates (the emergency beacon on my phone, my marine radio and my aviation radio- use GPS coordinates- which can map on Finder and Search and Rescue sites).

So- if the emergency services won't even use it for residential addresses- precisely what use is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement