Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New renter (houseshare)

Options
  • 14-07-2015 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

A relative of mine is currently living at home with her parents. She has just been offered a job in Dublin. She has a relative she can stay with for a couple of months, but will be looking for a room in a houseshare after that.

I understand there's a shortage in the area she'll be looking (South Dublin city) and I'm worried she'll have trouble finding a place as a first time tenant. Which is a pity, as she's about the nicest and least troublesome person you could meet, and will make an excellent and very responsible tenant!

Anything we can do to improve her chances? An employment reference won't be a problem. She'll be able to provide the deposit. Would it help if I offered to act as guarantor perhaps, or is that a "done" thing?

The relative she'll be staying with will happily provide a reference ... Would we be better off letting on that they aren't related? If so, I'm worried they'll ask for proof of rent being paid (in reality she won't be paying any.)

Any suggestions appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would it help if I offered to act as guarantor perhaps, or is that a "done" thing?

Don't do this, it's unusual and would just raise a flag that there might be an issue.

It also tells your relative that she doesn't have to take responsibility for her own actions. Not good for the growing-up-and-leaving-home maturation process.

The relative she'll be staying with will happily provide a reference ... Would we be better off letting on that they aren't related?

Yes. (assuming you mean "better off not letting on that they are related).

Just have the reference say "All rent/bills have been paid in full and on time" - the work reference is evidence of ability to pay the rent.

I'd actually suggest that she should pay at least some rent to the relative: it would be tax free under the rent-a-room scheme, and it helps the young person to understand that part of being an adult is providing for yourself. Obviously less than normal market rate, since it will likely be more like digs and a house-share, but some meaningful contribution to both, and also a share of bills.

Form my experience you don't get asked for references etc when moving into a houseshare, I've certainly never been asked for anything anyway personally though it may be different in Dublin and with the shortage at the moment. You might not even be dealing directly with the LL as the letting of rooms in a houseshare is often dealt with by a current tenant or the person vacating the room.

I'd actually suggest that she should pay at least some rent to the relative:

Why would you spend money you are not being asked for, appears daft to me. Obviously pay her share of bills etc but volunteering to pay rent when its not being asked for is madness. Much better to start building savings while not paying rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Why would you spend money you are not being asked for, appears daft to me. Obviously pay her share of bills etc but volunteering to pay rent when its not being asked for is madness. Much better to start building savings while not paying rent.
    So that she can't be considered a scrounger, for one. Especially if she is earning she should pay or at least offer to pay some rent. Good manners never hurt anyone.

So that she can't be considered a scrounger, for one. Especially if she is earning she should pay or at least offer to pay some rent. Good manners never hurt anyone.

I'm under the impression from the op that an agreement is already made and the person has said they wont be looking for rent.

Obviously offer it initially (which is most likely what happened) and the relation said no.

Point I was making is if its already decided that no rent is to be paid I wouldn't be bringing it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

My experience of sharing in Dublin was of two different types of arrangements - one where you only get to meet the landlord and if you are offered a room in the share it's really pot luck as to whether you fit in with the other tenants, and the other where you are actually 'interviewed' by the other tenants so you are probably more likely to get on with them but might find yourself in a situation where you are subletting so have less rights if push comes to shove so to speak. I would have a slight preference for the second but either could be great/disastrous. For me getting on with fellow housemates was always more important than having the dream address/ensuite/walk-in-wardrobe or etc. Either way you need to know exactly what you are getting into and even if there is competition don't drop your (reasonable) standards and agree to something you are not comfortable with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement