Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop dog pee from killing grass

Options
  • 14-07-2015 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I have a small female boxer and I love the little bitch (what?.. its just a technical term) but she is killing my grass in the back garden with her pee. Anybody ever solve this problem?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I think dog pee attract dogs to pee on the same spot. Really the only way would be to somehow stop her from using the back garden for a period of time then try and train her to use the same are.. dont think there is anything you can apply to grass to make it dog piss proof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 squiggledash

I think whoever invents a product that protects grass from dog pee or maybe come up with a virulent strain of dog pee resistant grass seed will be a billionaire. Can't believe Bill Gates isn't working on it.... I mean who cares about malaria anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There is some hormone in bitch-urine that causes the damage to grass. I remember a lecturer speaking about this topic but can't remember the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Temporary setback, to alleviate the damage, water area well.

The bitches are worse than dogs, it's a biological fact and damage is more noticeable during dry spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

I got a female dog a couple of months ago and noticed that where she pees the grass seems to be growing more quickly and is a darker green colour. Is this normal or a sign that the lawn lacks something or is going to die off in those spots eventually if she continues using those spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Its because female dogs squat to take a pee so is a high concentration of nitrogen. http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topic/lawn-cuttings/dog-bitch-urine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Look up Dog rocks, some say they work, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I heard it said that if you add a teaspoon of tomato ketchup to the dog's food it will solve the problem. Never had the need to try it and have no idea of the science behind it but apparently, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

I have tried different things and spoke to my vet and nothing really works, the best advice I got was from an old neighbour (since gone to the garden in the skies) who said 'if you love the dog you won't notice the stain'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are some pebble-type things called GreenUms that you can put in the water dish and claim to alter the ph of the urine to avoid bitch burn; I've never used them myself so I can't say if they work or not. Someone over in API may be able to give you more info though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsGoose

it really comes down to Dog or Garden your choice..

Advertisement