Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAT 2015 - Air Tattoo RAF Fairford

Options
  • 14-07-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Is anyone going to RIAT 2015 Air Show this weekend in (edited) Fairford UK?

http://www.airtattoo.com/

I'm Heading over for the weekend. Looks like I will have a spare ticket for Sunday in case anyone is interested, would hate to see it going to waste, the line up this year looks fantastic as always. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 snowboarding79

Make sure you are heading to Fairford not Farnborough :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Impressive flying display:

Saturday Flying Display;

-Airbus Military A400M
    -Army Air Corps Apache x 2 Role Demo
    -Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Massed Flypast
    -Belgian Air Component F-16AM
    -Czech Air Force L-159 ALCA
    -Czech Air Force Mil Mi-24V/Mi-35 'Hind' Helicopter
    -Finnish Air Force FA-18C Hornet
    -French Air Force Mirage 2000N x 2 - RAMEX DELTA
    -French Air Force Patrouille de France
    -German Army Bolkow Bo-105
    -Hellenic Air Force F-16 Demo Team 'Zeus'
    -Japanese Kawasaki P-1
    -Netherlands Air Force AH-64D Apache
    -Polish Air Force MiG-29
    -RAF Chinook HC.2/2A
    -RAF Hawk T.2 Role Demo x 2
    -RAF Red Arrows
    -RAF Typhoon Solo Display
    -RAF Typhoon & BBMF Spitfire Synchro Pair
    -Royal Jordanian Falcons
    -Slovenian Air Force PC-9M Swift
    -Spanish Air Force Patrulla Aguila
    -Swiss Air Force PC-7 Team
    -Swiss Air Force Super Puma
    -Tri-National Tornado Training Establishment flypast of 3 Tornados
    -USAF CV-22B Osprey
    -Vulcan XH558

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Heading over on Friday with Westdub

We aint looking forward to it or anything:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm Heading over for the weekend. Looks like I will have a spare ticket for Sunday in case anyone is interested, would hate to see it going to waste, the line up this year looks fantastic as always. :D

Very generous of you.I got tickets for Sat and Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Weather forecast for the weekend looks good :cool::D

355389.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

I have a spare ticket for Sunday in case anyone is interested, would hate to see it going to waste, the line up this year looks fantastic as always. :D

Ticket gone for Fairford on Sunday :)

I followed RIAT Air Traffic on twitter a few days ago. Some of the tweets today are interesting.....

https://twitter.com/RIATairtraffic?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.airtattoo.com%2F&profile_id=22912803&tw_i=621633586014330880&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=312136567907033088

Bit busy at the moment tutors TBM700, Mig 29s SeaKing and Chinook all in the circuit - good fun!

Belgium F16 rehearsal followed by A10, Orion and Navy KingAir to recover.

Swiss PC7 Team pre-noted, N614BA Boeing MSA Challenger is due 1815, Qatari filed out of Cambridge at 1820.. validations from Hind & Bolkow

• Registered Users Posts: 26 finners01

Heading over for Saturday....delighted with the weather forecast...and a night out in Bristol!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

How did peoples get on at Fairford?

I went on the Sunday, clear blue skies after a cloudy morning, absolutely brilliant day. More Spitfires then Ive ever seen, Hurricanes, the Blenheim, all fab
    They did a mock dogfight between a BF109 and a Spit too, amazing to see over the English countryside
    Geoffrey Wellum among others took the salute/flypast, even for an Irish person very moving.

As for the fast jets, just wow. The Typhoon was stunning, probably even louder then the Vulcan. The Mig almost at the end of the day pulled out all the stops as well. F16s/18s etc everything you would expect and more.
    One of the Mirages had a bird strike on its awesome takeoff climb... landed safely afterwards thankfully

Saw so many incredible airplanes, was almost getting blasé by evening time about F14s blasting by :-)

Just an amazing day and so worth the hassle of getting there, really well organised too, highly recommend to anyone.
    I paid extra for the grandstand seats but actually wouldn't bother with that again, you can walk right down to the flight line and set up a chair for free, Ill know next time.

Ill try and get a few pics up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

The Vulcan display on Saturday was the best iveever seen, check out the YouTube videos of the take off,. Unfortunatly, Sundays display was done by a different pilot and was much tamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

TedR wrote: »

I went on the Sunday, clear blue skies after a cloudy morning, absolutely brilliant day. More Spitfires then Ive ever seen, Hurricanes, the Blenheim, all fab
    They did a mock dogfight between a BF109 and a Spit too, amazing to see over the English countryside
    Geoffrey Wellum among others took the salute/flypast, even for an Irish person very moving.

As for the fast jets, just wow. The Typhoon was stunning, probably even louder then the Vulcan. The Mig almost at the end of the day pulled out all the stops as well. F16s/18s etc everything you would expect and more.
    One of the Mirages had a bird strike on its awesome takeoff climb... landed safely afterwards thankfully

Saw so many incredible airplanes, was almost getting blasé by evening time about F14s blasting by :-)

Just an amazing day and so worth the hassle of getting there, really well organised too, highly recommend to anyone.
    I paid extra for the grandstand seats but actually wouldn't bother with that again, you can walk right down to the flight line and set up a chair for free, Ill know next time.

Ill try and get a few pics up later.

Sounds fab! Might stick it on my to-do list for the future! :)

I went on the Sunday, clear blue skies after a cloudy morning, absolutely brilliant day. More Spitfires then Ive ever seen, Hurricanes, the Blenheim, all fab.....................
    One of the Mirages had a bird strike on its awesome takeoff climb... landed safely afterwards thankfully............

I paid extra for the grandstand seats but actually wouldn't bother with that again, you can walk right down to the flight line and set up a chair for free, Ill know next time........
    The Grandstand seats were good if you wanted a slightly calmer, less packed experience. But yes you can get right down to the crowdline to get great views of the display.

I was wondering what happened to the 2nd Mirage. I had my camcorder ready to record the noise and was a little sad that it was "only a single Mirage".
    The Vulcan display on Saturday was the best ive ever seen, check out the YouTube videos of the take off,. Unfortunatly, Sundays display was done by a different pilot and was much tamer
    That makes sense, Saturday was definitely a bit more showy. Still I got myself a chute shot so was happy. I also queued for approx 45 mins to do the underwing tour of XH558 on Sunday.
    Sounds fab! Might stick it on my to-do list for the future! :)
    Highly highly recommend doing it. July 8-10 2016.
    Easy to do in a day if you had to. I went over on Sat morn, didn't get to RIAT till 1100. I think staying in London and getting a very early train to Swindon would have been better. Was able to stay until the show closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Yes, I only had one day too, I flew early to Birmingham, then picked up a rental car and drove to Fairford, easy enough on a Sunday morning early. I was onsite by 10:30 am, mainly due to approach event traffic.
    Drove back to BHam airport hotel in the evening, then flew back to Dub first thing Monday am. It was long day, but easy enough to do.
    I looked at closer airports but flights didn't work out for me. Depending on your schedules, you could fly to Heathrow/others as well.

BHam was very easy to get in and out of though, and car rental/airporthotel/terminal were all just a walk from each other.

It was a Mega day though, so worth it. A lot to see, two days would be better if you could.

As in earlier post, I would suggest that the extra expense of Grandstand seats/VIP area seat options is not necessary, all you need to buy really is the admission tix.

.....It was a Mega day though, so worth it. A lot to see, two days would be better if you could.

As in earlier post, I would suggest that the extra expense of Grandstand seats/VIP area seat options is not necessary,.....
    I am glad I did the two days. It allowed me to mix and match my activity. I split both days into static display vs flying display.
    A lot of the aircraft were accessible. Off the top of my head I got inside a Dutch KC-10, USAF KC-135R, USAF MV-22B, US Army Apache, US Army Blackhawk, Dutch CH-47F Chinook, USAF MC-130J, IAC Casa 235. Also got underwing access to the Vulcan.

The US Navy had one of their new P-8 Posiden's there. But it was very very off limits, there were armed police protecting it. And I got chatting to some aircrew who said that they had to surrender all electronics before being allowed onboard by the Posiden's crew.

Advertisement