Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up

Options
  • 14-07-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if this seems a basic question and I am missing an equally basic solution.

I have a lot of photographic files stored on my laptop ordered in folders (o/s is Windows 7 if it is relevant) which I back up regularly onto an external hard drive via the native software in Windows. The problem I have is that if I want to browse those backed up files it is far from straightforward due to the way the back up is organised. For example original file names do not seem to be utilised on the backed up folders / files

Ideally I want to be able to browse the external hard drive easily and quickly so in a perfect world the back up would be a mirror image of the laptop.

So is there back up software that can achieve this or something similar? I do not mind paying if it works.

Any assistance is gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Not sure about software solutions but I make do with simple drag and drop. It preserves folder and file structure. When I am adding new files I drag the folder into the parent directory and it asks if I want to merge wirh existing folder. I say yes and then it asks if I want to replace existing files. I say no and tick 'Do this for remaining conflicts'. Only transfers new additions then.
    As I say, not sophisticated but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Synctoy is what you want. Its perfect for this kinda stuff, I sync my photos from my workstation to my NAS with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Thanks very much for the responses. I shall give these ideas a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Thanks very much for the responses. I shall give these ideas a try.

Advertisement