Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love & Mercy

• 14-07-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭

I caught this film on Sunday night after a friend recommended it to me.
    Having not heard much about it I was pleasantly surprised.

It follows the lead singer of the Beach Boys Brian Wilson at two different stages of his life, the first in the 1960's as he attempts to make Pet Sounds and in the 1980's where his life is being controlled by his therapist.

I enjoyed this film and how it showed both his genius and his flaws.
    Some of my favourite moments showed his skill and talent when he was writing music and sorting its orchestration.

I didn't really know much about the Beach Boys either but I liked their music as a background to this film and thought Paul Dano and John Cusack performed well.

Anyone else seen it and if so what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Fantastic film, perfect mix of music production scenes and drama, couldn't recommend it more even if you're not a Beach Boys fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I saw this tonight and loved it. Dano is fantastic as the young Wilson struggling with his demons and the expectations of his band and father.
    John Cusack was also excellent as 80's Brian and Elizabeth Banks was great as the woman trying to bring him back to normality. Paul Giamatti is pretty frightening as Eugene Landy, especially in the scene at the car dealership towards the end.

The recording scenes were one of my favourite things, demonstrating the experimental nature of Wilson and the genius of his musical vision.

It's flying under the radar but should be rewarded during the awards season. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it will be forgotten by then, eclipsed by big budget "inspirational" true stories. But it's well worth catching at the cinema, if only for the fact that the music sounds great with surround sound. I don't think it will stick around long in the cinemas so be quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sad that hardly anyone on here is interested in this, not enough CG or men in costumes I suppose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Already left cinemas it seems. :(

Sad that hardly anyone on here is interested in this, not enough CG or men in costumes I suppose :(

Or maybe posters like myself just haven't been able to find the time to go see it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Non-existent marketing and likely only a handful of places outside Dublin showing it all more likely reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Great film. Saw it pretty much blind, only seen the poster and barely read that.Knew nothing of his life really, let alone about Landy. I found the story hard to believe and so I Google'd it and mother of God, it was worse.

I won't post stuff here in case it spoils the film but it's worth reading and watching some of the info and docus online about his life. They could easily have made a four hour biopic and not bored the audience. Legend of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

e_e wrote: »

shame as I thought it was one of the best films of the year, The Paul Dano Brian Wilson stuff when he's creating and making Pet Sounds are a thing of wonder and the scenes when he's on the verge of a breakdown are really heartbreaking. I loved the John Cusack 80's era with a brilliant Paul Giamiati at his best playing the villainous Dr Landy, but it's the 60's stuff with Dano that you come out loving cause it just goes to show what a Genius Brian Wilson was at his peak. I think this will find it's home on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

e_e wrote: »

Still on in Dun Laoghaire and the Lighthouse

http://entertainment.ie/cinema-listings/Dublin/Love-and-Mercy/10.htm?search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Seen it s whole back and thought it was very good. There was only 5 people in the screen and I saw it.
    John Cusack was excellent I thought and I'm glad to have seen him in something worthwhile as his career seems to be going nowhere lately.
    Shocking story though with Landy and really highlights the dangers of mental health care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement