Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16GB RAM, needed?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing a lot of builds with people going with 16GB of RAM. A friend is building himself a new PC and saw he was going down the same route.

I've been on 8GB for some time now (2x2x2x2). Havn't really looked into upgrading since RAM prices seem to be still pretty high.

Below is the RAM I have

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-203-CS

I paid £45 for 8GB. Is there any significant gains to be made from going to 16GB. PLanning to move to Windows 10 on launch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

if you can afford 16gb get 16gb...but it also depends on what your running on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

RAM is at the cheapest it's been in over two years

For gaming, no need in 16gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

If only gaming no need for 16gb at all.I just took 8 of my 16gb out of my pc to add upgrade the family pc.No difference at all gaming or general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you could use it to play around with virtual machine images and ramdisks n stuff

403658b39441ed047d27aff19823ec98.jpg

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-ramdisk/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah my PC is a primary gaming PC. Little to nothing else happens on it bar watching streams, web browsing, nothing intensive.

Just saw a lot of builds mentioning 16Gb and was wondering if maybe **** had caught up. But appears it might be just price related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You didn't see them around here then :pac: Yeah prices are low, but €50 can bring you up a better case, better CPU or better GPU so I don't understand why RAM would take precedence in a new build

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For gaming, no need in 16gb.

Unless you play Star Citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Crosswind

You won't see a difference gaming-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

ED E wrote: »
    Unless you play Star Citizen.

Can you source that please?

In any case OP, the short answer is 8GB is plenty right now for gaming/general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gumbi wrote: »
    Can you source that please?

In any case OP, the short answer is 8GB is plenty right now for gaming/general use.

Use of the alpha. I've an 8GB rig and OS consumes about 1GB, playing SC I've hit 7.6GB and thats only in the small DFM. When the PU launches its very likely gonna eat RAM.

• Advertisement

Cheers folks.

I'm happy with my build, nothing really needs upgrading, machine breezing through everything I play. Just figured I'd ask, not a break the bank upgrade and was I was under the assumption 16GB was OTT for gaming but didn't know if maybe things had changed.

Can sit back and chill until the bug comes back next summer for upgrades, although I'm kinda hopeful my machine is in a good place and won't need work for two years.

You didn't see them around here then :pac: Yeah prices are low, but €50 can bring you up a better case, better CPU or better GPU so I don't understand why RAM would take precedence in a new build

Ah don't think it was precedent, just like I said a friends build, and builds I saw on reddit kept having 16GB in them.

I'm fine for parts, after getting a R9 290 I'm happy my machine in a good place for hopefully two years, don't see myself doing any upgrades next summer (I normally upgrade around summer as I get a bonus end of April).

Only thing I can possibly contemplate is more SSD changes. I took in a 256GB to go alongside my 128GB. If prices keep going the way they are might move both to 512GB or the 128Gb up to 256GB.

But thats for next year at the earliest ! :D

Advertisement