Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do? Weekend break 24/25 July

Options
  • 14-07-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Howdy all

The (new) wife and meself are heading ye're way next weekend.
    Staying Fri and Sat, (24/25) & home Sunday. Traveling from Limerick.

I love Cork - been down numerous times for stags, etc...
    We're 29 and 37, she'd love a bit of shopping and a nice meal
    and we are easy going on what to do and where to eat.

Staying at the Kingsley but happy to drive, etc...
    Suggestions pretty please?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww, congratulations!

What do you like to do and eat?

Are you big spenders, or lovin a bit of value?

Friday night, pick any restaurant in the city. there's a whole thread of them... If you're looking for something in particular (French, dim sum, seafood?) ask away!

A nice saturday for me (if it's dry!), would be to head into the English market and pick up some tasty goodies for a picnic. Some of the nice sandwiches and hummus at the Sandwich Stall, a bottle of wine (screw cap please!), couple of cakes maybe from Heaven's Cakes. Or nibbly bits from the olive stand if you're full from Kingsley breakfast. You could have your picnic over in Fitzgerald's park and do some of those lovely walks while you are there. If I wasn't doing that, I'd have lunch in Italee on Oliver plunkett street. Yummo.

Then a wander around the shops. If looking for a bit of culture, Crawford museum, or up Shandon direction to ring the bells or go to the Butter Museum (best little museum in the country, it's way underrated!). There are loads of walking tours around the city. You'll probably spot the signs, they have times on them. There's an open top bus tour as well.

Out saturday night, again, world is your oyster. I highly recommend the cocktails in Soho! :)

Sunday morning, Brunch! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

that there is a pretty decent day described for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

horgan_p wrote: »
    that there is a pretty decent day described for you

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

pwurple wrote: »
    Aww, congratulations!

Friday night, pick any restaurant in the city. there's a whole thread of them... If you're looking for something in particular (French, dim sum, seafood?) ask away!

A nice saturday for me (if it's dry!), would be to head into the English market and pick up some tasty goodies for a picnic. Some of the nice sandwiches and hummus at the Sandwich Stall, a bottle of wine (screw cap please!), couple of cakes maybe from Heaven's Cakes. Or nibbly bits from the olive stand if you're full from Kingsley breakfast. You could have your picnic over in Fitzgerald's park and do some of those lovely walks while you are there. If I wasn't doing that, I'd have lunch in Italee on Oliver plunkett street. Yummo.

Then a wander around the shops. If looking for a bit of culture, Crawford museum, or up Shandon direction to ring the bells or go to the Butter Museum (best little museum in the country, it's way underrated!). There are loads of walking tours around the city. You'll probably spot the signs, they have times on them. There's an open top bus tour as well.

Out saturday night, again, world is your oyster. I highly recommend the cocktails in Soho! :)

LEGEND!!! Thank you!

Us to a T.

Is Fitzgerald park the one beside the Kingsley? We even have a picnic basket (wedding gift) that needs christening.

Also, where's good to park if heading to market?

Lastly... We'd eat anything BUT if we wanted Indian food, would you have a suggestion please?

And thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Iyers - its more a café than restaurant but apparently top notch for veggie Indian food.
    https://www.facebook.com/iyerscafe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Hooked wrote: »
    LEGEND!!! Thank you!

Us to a T.

Is Fitzgerald park the one beside the Kingsley? We even have a picnic basket (wedding gift) that needs christening.

Also, where's good to park if heading to market?

Lastly... We'd eat anything BUT if we wanted Indian food, would you have a suggestion please?

And thanks again.

The Lee fields run behind the hotel. Fitzgerald's is further down along by the river also. There is a car park on Grand Parade near one of the Market's entrances, on the left hand side. There's a theatre called The Everyman and a cinema on North Gate too. You're spoiled for choice with pubs and restaurants.

Raj Gaylord in Kerrypike is supposed to be fab for Indian food. I think it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

whatever76 wrote: »
    Iyers - its more a café than restaurant but apparently top notch for veggie Indian food.
    https://www.facebook.com/iyerscafe

Unfortunately Iyer's is closed for 2 weeks holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

pwurple wrote: »
    Aww, congratulations!

You should work for a magazine :D

mikeym wrote: »

Whazzon, Cork :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If you're into history in any way and don't mind a short drive I'd highly recommend Camden Fort Meagher in Crosshaven. Went there last Sunday and was very impressed with the place. Staff are knowledgeable and friendly and the tea rooms are excellent. Underground tunnels to explore and great views of Cork Harbour, all for a fiver per adult.

mikeym wrote: »

If someone wants to pay me to eat my way around Cork, I'd be well up for it! :D

Hooked wrote: »
    Where's good to park if heading to market?
    Parking, try the open air ground level carpark across the road from Q-Park on Grand Parade. It's the cheapest one around there as far as I know.
    It's right next to the city library.

If that's full, try Q-Park grand parade across the road, but don't be dawdling there, it's pricey!

Gah! Indian food is the achilles heel of Cork. You're not going to find anything as good as Limerick's Copper and Spice. I'd say Iyer's too like the others, but they are shut for summer hols. Haveli in Douglas is where my indian buddies go if Iyer's is closed.

Try something else? Morto for Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

eternal wrote: »
    Raj Gaylord in Kerrypike is supposed to be fab for Indian food. I think it's still open.

Still going, still fantastic, ate there last week. If staying in the city for food you should try Nosta for something a bit different. Ate there at the weekend, fantastic - it's Mediterranean with a Turkish twist. The city Goal in Sundays Well is worth a trip, as is Camden as someone already mentioned. Further out is Fota wildlife park, they just got a new hippo too and Spike island can be visited from Cobh by boat - cool spot for a picnic! Enjoy Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SomeFool wrote: »
    Still going, still fantastic, ate there last week. If staying in the city for food you should try Nosta for something a bit different. Ate there at the weekend, fantastic - it's Mediterranean with a Turkish twist. The city Goal in Sundays Well is worth a trip, as is Camden as someone already mentioned. Further out is Fota wildlife park, they just got a new hippo too and Spike island can be visited from Cobh by boat - cool spot for a picnic! Enjoy Cork!

Indian Rhino not a Hippo.

Advertisement