Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a computer online from Lenovo and am considering returning it

Options
  • 14-07-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

I imagine the answer is yes, but in regards to the cooling off period for when you buy online products, I'm assuming it won't apply in this case and if I test it out for a day or two, they don't have to give me a refund? I haven't opened it yet, it's still in the packaging it wsa delivered in from UPS

I forgot to add that (I think) it was made in China. At the very least, it was shipped from there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I think you have 28 days to return if unopened and and in the same condition it was sent. I'd imagine you get a reference of the vendor first so you have some kind of paper trail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I know I can return it; that isn't the issue. I'm just usure if the laptop will completely meet my needs. I'm wondering if it's covered under the cooling off period and am I understanding the law that the consuder has 14 days to return it, even if it's been used (but not damaged, software activated, etc)

whats the model number and what do you want to use it for

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Assuming you bought it from Lenovo.ie, it doesn't matter where it was shipped from or manufactured.

You have a 14-day cooling off period where you may cancel the contract and return the goods without reason. Cost of returning the goods is your problem, and if the goods are in any way soiled or damaged, the trader can refuse the cancellation. So you can test it out for a day or two, but the smallest scuff or similar mark and they can rightfully refuse to accept it back.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

The purpose of the cooling-off period is not to give you a chance to see if you like it, it's to give you a chance to undo any rash decisions or realisations that you've bought something inappropriate (because you weren't able to see it first-hand before buying).

Since part of the above states that software cannot be returned if the seal on the software is broken, Lenovo may be able to claim that opening the box and turning on the laptop constitutes "unsealing" the software and therefore it cannot be returned.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    whats the model number and what do you want to use it for
    http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e550/
    with an i3, 1080p screen and 8GB of RAM.
    It was supposed to be for college learnign to program and website design (nothing graphic intensive) but am concerned that an i3 might not be enough despite being told a dual core is fine.
    seamus wrote: »
    Assuming you bought it from Lenovo.ie, it doesn't matter where it was shipped from or manufactured.

You have a 14-day cooling off period where you may cancel the contract and return the goods without reason. Cost of returning the goods is your problem, and if the goods are in any way soiled or damaged, the trader can refuse the cancellation. So you can test it out for a day or two, but the smallest scuff or similar mark and they can rightfully refuse to accept it back.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

The purpose of the cooling-off period is not to give you a chance to see if you like it, it's to give you a chance to undo any rash decisions or realisations that you've bought something inappropriate (because you weren't able to see it first-hand before buying).

Since part of the above states that software cannot be returned if the seal on the software is broken, Lenovo may be able to claim that opening the box and turning on the laptop constitutes "unsealing" the software and therefore it cannot be returned.

Well it was from http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/
    Which I assume is still covered under the law; I can reset Windows back to factory settings but I might just return it sealed in the box now.

• Advertisement

Have you opened it and powerd it on.... That would generally cancel your cooling off period, esp if its windows 8 and you registered an email.

but as far as the specs go, that laptop is more then enough for what you need. Its very hard to put the power of modern processors into relative comparitbality. Think bmw 3,5,and 7 series. As they get bigger they generally get more powerful but become harder on battery etc. But like that bmw 3 series is still a class above most cars. Ive a sony with i3 sandybridge and 8gb ram. I use CS4, Corel Draw, and dreamweaver daily on it. Its never even grunted at me.

It's unopened so far and I'll leave it that way.
    But yeah, I figured it *should* work but I'd rather not be lagging behind if assignments are being done in class; I've only used a PC so far and it's built for gaming so I'm nt sure if the i3 is capabe
    On a slightly different route, assuming (this happened with a laptop recently I had o return to a shop in Ireland) there any hardware faults, since I didn't get an extended warranty does he EU law cover me at all?

yu wouldnt be, especially if its 5th gen, Itd be capable of the same things of the 4th gen i5.

Word of advice with any laptops you buy online, do a copy of your recovery discs. If you get a hdd fault and it fails they wont reload the software. They usually charge abut €50 to do it

You wouldnt be able to bring this machine back to shop in ireland because you didnt buy it here. Whats the fault?

Oh I'm sorry; what I meant was that I bought a machine the other week in Ireland and had to return it. The worker was completely fine when I explained I tried everything on the software side and pointed out I could use a USB internet adapter (I couldn't hold a connection on the laptop's wifi) just fine. So he said could be hardware and I asked for my money back.

the i3 lacks turbo boost which I have no clue how important it is but I figured that's the biggest difference and a bit more clock speed between current gen i3s and is

Not important at all being honest. If you look at the new cpus the i5 and i7s are actually coming with lower clockspeeds now to preserve battery life. like I said the i3 is a fantastic cpu, and id rather have a higher end i3 cpu then a lower end i5. like i said its so hard to give an example of the power of these things. i5 will give a bit more power if your doing well say music editing, i7 for movies. Thats simplistic but its fairly accurate.

With wifi theres generally 3 or 4 things to look at.

1: the router you have. Old netopia eircom ones crash and burn with new laptops
    2: anti virus software. Esp if you have 2 loaded
    3: Is Wifi switched on
    4: Hardware. Good way to check this is by turning on hotspot on your phone and connecting the laptop. if it connects to it then its not hardware

• Advertisement

Cheers lads; I'll keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think you have 28 days to return if unopened and and in the same condition it was sent. I'd imagine you get a reference of the vendor first so you have some kind of paper trail
    Consumer law gives you 14 days to return it.
    Digital River's (the actual legal seller) terms are also 14 days.
    Have you opened it and powerd it on.... That would generally cancel your cooling off period, esp if its windows 8 and you registered an email.
    Nope. Powering it on or installing an OS will not cancel your 14 day cooling off period nor is it grounds for the seller to reject the return. It's not even grounds for the seller to devalue the product.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/si/0484.html

So, jus so I'm understanding this correctly: if I do power it on, download seam, test out some games, test out some other stuff (all software based), I could return it within the cooling off period for something like "this machine isn't poweful enough for what I want to do"? Or do I even need a reason?

I'll point out I'm no plaing heavy demanding games. I'm just interested in if I can actually test it out to make sure it does what I need.

if thats the case then whats to stop someone that needs a laptop for one thing, like a lend of a laptop, buying a machine, using it, then returning it.

Surely there has to be legitimate fault with the machine or it wasnt fit for purpose to be entitled to a refund once the machine has been used, even within the 14 days

If what you say is true I wouldnt mind ordering a nice big 4k tv to watch the rugby world cup on, returning it after the games

Yes, and you don't need to give any reason either.
    You can use the computer in order to test it but if you do anything more that would devalue it then the seller may reduce your refund accordingly.

Sect 20.6 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/si/0484.html
    (6) A consumer who is required to return goods to a trader following the exercise of the right to cancel—

(a) shall take reasonable care of the goods prior to returning them, and

(b) is liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling of the goods beyond that necessary to establish their nature, characteristics and functioning.

if thats the case then whats to stop someone that needs a laptop for one thing, like a lend of a laptop, buying a machine, using it, then returning it.

Surely there has to be legitimate fault with the machine or it wasnt fit for purpose to be entitled to a refund once the machine has been used, even within the 14 days

If what you say is true I wouldnt mind ordering a nice big 4k tv to watch the rugby world cup on, returning it after the games
    Nothing, other than the time to get delivery, the cost of shipping (which the seller is unlikely to bear) and being liable for any damage while in your care. However some devices such as TVs have usage counters and if the seller can show that the usage was "beyond that necessary to establish their nature, characteristics and functioning" then they may be able to charge you accordingly.

Is that just for online selling

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The hassle of it, and the fact that the cost of shipping is at your expense. Plus the risk that if you do any damage, they won't accept the return.

And then you'll cry when you realise how much it will cost you to ship that TV back to them.

Is that just for online selling
    The cooling off period only applies to distance sales (online, phone, fax, letter, etc) and off-premises sales. Part 4 of the European Union (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013 explains all.

I actually think its absurd that this can be done. Is there no protection for retailers. I would think that if your buying online then its up to the consumer to do the research. If you go into a store you have an advisor. Its ridiculous

• Advertisement

A great many goods/services bought using distance/off-premises selling are from sellers with no stores nearby. The cooling off period is to allow customers to satisfy themselves the goods are suitable. If you buy on-premises you generally have that opportunity in the shop.

Advertisement