Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to Eircom eFibre and big decrease in speed?!

Options
  • 14-07-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi, basically I've just changed over from Vodafone broadband to Eircom eFibre since last Thursday expecting a nice boost in speed... how wrong was I. I was getting around 10.30mb/s with Vodafone and now I'm getting 6.7mb/s at most with Eircom eFibre. I've rang numerous time to support and lots of times I've been told I'll be called back (obviously no one rang), another time I got a woman saying that they can't do it at their end and that she had to email an engineer to go down to the exchange to do it up to a 24 line(?) and just there I got a guy who said what that woman said was incorrect and that they can put up the speed in their end but the highest they can put it up was to 12, the same speed as what I had with Vodafone, but I'm still getting 7.6mb/s. Abysmal and confusing!

So how come the big decrease speed on the exact same line as I had the normal Vodafone broadband with? Obviously I'm also asking can this disaster be fixed? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Bane wrote: »
    Hi, basically I've just changed over from Vodafone broadband to Eircom eFibre since last Thursday expecting a nice boost in speed... how wrong was I. I was getting around 10.30mb/s with Vodafone and now I'm getting 6.7mb/s at most with Eircom eFibre. I've rang numerous time to support and lots of times I've been told I'll be called back (obviously no one rang), another time I got a woman saying that they can't do it at their end and that she had to email an engineer to go down to the exchange to do it up to a 24 line(?) and just there I got a guy who said what that woman said was incorrect and that they can put up the speed in their end but the highest they can put it up was to 12, the same speed as what I had with Vodafone, but I'm still getting 7.6mb/s. Abysmal and confusing!

So how come the big decrease speed on the exact same line as I had the normal Vodafone broadband with? Obviously I'm also asking can this disaster be fixed? Thanks.
    Thanks for you PM Bane

I have escalated this to our technical support team and as soon as I have more information I will let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bane

Thanks for you PM Bane

I have escalated this to our technical support team and as soon as I have more information I will let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks. This morning the download speed has increased, probably due to the change from 7Mb to 12Mb. The download speed from speedtest is slightly under 11.5 mb/s, still not what I expected for an eFibre line. I just rang support again and they said the are still waiting for an engineer to re-test the line and that hopefully after the re-test, the line can go up to 20- 24Mb. I was told to ring back on Friday. Thanks again Alan.

Thanks for you PM Bane

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks. This morning the download speed has increased, probably due to the change from 7Mb to 12Mb. The download speed from speedtest is slightly under 11.5 mb/s, still not what I expected for an eFibre line. I just rang support again and they said the are still waiting for an engineer to re-test the line and that hopefully after the re-test, the line can go up to 20- 24Mb. I was told to ring back on Friday. Thanks again Alan.
    Appreciate the update to the thread Bane

Please let me know how you get on Friday

Cheers
    Al

Got a call from tech support yesterday and he said that the engineer won't get there until Monday next week. So will hopefully get good speeds then. Fingers crossed. I guess it's a better situation then the tech guy last week telling me that's as fast I can get right now. From ringing tech support, it's disappointing and confusing that each one has a different analysis on my situation. Some say it's definitely this and some say it's definitely that.

Got a call from tech support yesterday and he said that the engineer won't get there until Monday next week. So will hopefully get good speeds then. Fingers crossed. I guess it's a better situation then the tech guy last week telling me that's as fast I can get right now. From ringing tech support, it's disappointing and confusing that each one has a different analysis on my situation. Some say it's definitely this and some say it's definitely that.
    Thanks for the update Bane

Al

• Advertisement

I just rang again to tech support, to try and get an update. I was told something seemed to have been done on the exchange on Friday last but there isn't an update on their system yet. Speeds still the same. I was told I'll be contacted today from tech support on Friday afternoon, so hopefully someone gets in contact with me today and give me some good news or updates on this matter.

So didn't get a call, as I was told I would, from any Eircom representatives today, no surprise there tbh! Hopefully there's some progress tomorrow. Can someone chase up this situation before it comes the weekend again?

So didn't get a call, as I was told I would, from any Eircom representatives today, no surprise there tbh! Hopefully there's some progress tomorrow. Can someone chase up this situation before it comes the weekend again?
    Sorry to hear this Bane

You should have received a call if you were advised you would. I have requested an update and also requested that technical support contact you.
    I have also requested urgency on your case Bane.

Thanks
    Al

Just rang tech support and now this guy tells me this is the fastest my line can do and that it's no use to send an engineer to the exchange??? Geezuz, what happened to sending an engineer to the exchange to re-test the line and that then I'll get about a 20Mb line??? Everyone has different things to say. Alan can you please see what's going on with this situation? Was there an engineer down to exchange? And is it possible to increase my speed? Eircom tech support is frustrating as hell to deal with, there's absolutely no consistency from one phone call to another. And I'm still waiting for this mythical call from Eircom to tell me the result from this visit from an engineer to the exchange. Thanks

Just rang tech support and now this guy tells me this is the fastest my line can do and that it's no use to send an engineer to the exchange??? Geezuz, what happened to sending an engineer to the exchange to re-test the line and that then I'll get about a 20Mb line??? Everyone has different things to say. Alan can you please see what's going on with this situation? Was there an engineer down to exchange? And is it possible to increase my speed? Eircom tech support is frustrating as hell to deal with, there's absolutely no consistency from one phone call to another. And I'm still waiting for this mythical call from Eircom to tell me the result from this visit from an engineer to the exchange. Thanks
    Hi Bane

I understand your disappointment with this, conflicting information makes things worse and I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Can you please PM me your mobile contact number and I'll call at 3.30pm today?

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Just rang again to get a different opinion. Well this guy went through numerous tests. Basically what he said was that my line is capable of a much higher d/l speed (up to 24Mb) but the bottleneck is my upload speed. He said he can't increase my d/l speed without increasing my upload speed as well and my upload speed, which is 1Mb, is as fast as it can go right now. So basically I'm stuck at this speed until further improvements are done with my line in the future. The end...

Advertisement