Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Rent Increase

Options
  • 14-07-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

I have been living in vicinity in Dublin for the last 6 years which has 40 numbers of mix Town Houses/Apartments.
    I live in town house and my lease is due to renew in couple of week time and Estate Agency contacted me last week to increase 36% rent from the last year which is too high with no addition of any new furniture or painted the house during last 6 years.

A different estate agency in same locality has advertised for much reasonable asking rent less than what my agency is asking for to renew my lease. This town house is fully furnished for a new contract at 1050 per month but my agency is asking to renew the contract at 1150 where they haven't spent any money in the last 6 years. Agent came back to me today that they can only meet at 1100 per month which is still 250 euro per month dearer than last year.

My queries, does it worth to bring this matter to PRTB or Threshold that Landlord is asking for unreasonable rent increase (30 to 36%) whereas in same vicinity another estate agent is asking for lower rent.

A friend of mine lives in apartment in same vicinity but his landlord with same agency has agreed 12% increase only which I have escalated it to Agency who said that apartment is of different type and with different landlord.

Neighbouring house (next to me) with same landlord and agency was vacated two months ago where agency fully painted it from head to toe and all kitchen appliances were replaced with brand new and the new tenant has agreed at 1200 rent per month.

so you can see my house has not been furnished or replaced any appliances in 6 years except broken hob was fixed with replacement which I presume is only 100 to 200 Euro cost.

I have plan to move this year to another place in 3 to 4 months when I'm ready to move and until then it’s too much 36% increase in rent then last year whereas I've similar earning/salary as last year. Since, I have had break clause on my previous contracts and I hope shouldn't be a problem to give 1 month notice to leave during the contract.

Please advise if I should go ahead to log a case in PRTB that landlord/agent is increasing far too much this year and if there are chances that I could win my case with reasonable increase in rent. Also, once I put up a case against Agent/Landlord for above, would there be a problem to give them a 1 month notice to leave while case is pending with PRTB and would that be o.k to get my deposit back regardless I win or lose the case in PRTB?

Could you please share your thoughts / experience if you have recently have had any case with PRTB and what was the outcome?

Thanks and waiting for your valuable input/comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The easiest option is to find another place and state either no rent increase or your moving. Having to pay to refresh the property, having it empty for a period and having lost a good tenant should make then change their mind. But you need to be prepared to move in the end. You already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Firstly, percentage increase is not relevant. All that is relevant is market rent. If the market rent is not being exceeded, they are entitled to ask for it. The examples are likely not enough to determine market rent (but your examples do show you've been paying well below market rate for a while now).

There are likely to be differences between your friend's situation and yours so a comparison between increases is not applicable, especially in percentage terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

To be fair, with them having agreed to 1100 it's not much more than your friend who's paying 1050, so the increase seems to be bringing it up to around market value.

From what you said you seem to have been getting a good deal on the rent in previous years, so count yourself lucky that you've saved a lot more than if the rent had gone up slightly year on year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

muwaahidi wrote: »
    A different estate agency in same locality has advertised for much reasonable asking rent less than what my agency is asking for to renew my lease. This town house is fully furnished for a new contract at 1050 per month but my agency is asking to renew the contract at 1150 where they haven't spent any money in the last 6 years.

Why don't you move into that one then?

I can't see how your mates rent, your salary and whatever else is relevant. Your contract for the previous rate is up, they are well within their rights to ask for a higher rate within reason and they've given you a reduction on foot of your complaint already.

I don't think you've a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 muwaahidi

To be fair, with them having agreed to 1100 it's not much more than your friend who's paying 1050, so the increase seems to be bringing it up to around market value.

From what you said you seem to have been getting a good deal on the rent in previous years, so count yourself lucky that you've saved a lot more than if the rent had gone up slightly year on year.

Hi The_Pretender,

My friend's rent has been increased from 825 to 925 whereas they asked me to pay 1150 (300 more or 36% increase) initially, the only difference is he is in apartment and I'm in town house (same two bed, 1 bath). EA originally asked me for 1150 and said 1100 now.

Like I mentioned above another property in same vicinity has advertised by another estate agent last week for 1050 with fully furnished but I have been living with no furnished property for the last 6 years.
    The reason I raise this post is to ask the suggestion if I can go ahead to log a case with PRTB for having furnished property at 1050 by another Estate agent but my agent/landlord is asking me 1150 for renewing non furnished property. Whatever was offered last year was past/history regardless good or bad deal and I'm talking current situation if I can get good suggestion or way to pul Landlord in PRTB case.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    Why don't you move into that one then?

I can't see how your mates rent, your salary and whatever else is relevant. Your contract for the previous rate is up, they are well within their rights to ask for a higher rate within reason and they've given you a reduction on foot of your complaint already.

I don't think you've a case.

Hi nm,

If LL offers me less than asking rent of furnished property I will be happy to stay to avoid move stuff or change address. Since, LL is asking me more than market rate i.e. 1050 fully funished, so I m thinking to put case in PRTB.

In Boom time same property's rent went not more than €1000/- per month whereas now LL is asking 1200 or more which just unfair.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Furnishing a property does not mean it's worth more in rent, and renting it unfurnished doesn't mean you have to charge less. If anything I feel there is a demand for unfurnished rental property in Dublin which could actually push those prices up a bit compared to furnished.

Either way, 1050 and 1100 are in the same ballpark so I think you'd be wasting your time disputing it.

Hi nm,

If LL offers me less than asking rent of furnished property I will be happy to stay to avoid move stuff or change address. Since, LL is asking me more than market rate i.e. 1050 fully funished, so I m thinking to put case in PRTB.

In Boom time same property's rent went not more than €1000/- per month whereas now LL is asking 1200 or more which just unfair.

In boom time? Where rents are concerned this is boom time.

All the advice seem to be the same op, you're wasting your time I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

difference is he is in apartment and I'm in town house (same two bed, 1 bath).
    So... his rent doesn't matter, as it's not a similar property. How much are town houses to rent in your area? The one next to you went for higher, so I'm guessing a few other town houses are going for similar?
    This town house is fully furnished for a new contract at 1050 per month but my agency is asking to renew the contract at 1150 where they haven't spent any money in the last 6 years. Agent came back to me today that they can only meet at 1100 per month
    If you bring it to the PTRB, the landlord will probably say that the 1100 is within the average.

Oh, and you mention that you plan on leaving in 3 or 4 months. Best of luck in the PTRB seeing you before then, if the stories here are anything to go by.

awec wrote: »
    Furnishing a property does not mean it's worth more in rent, and renting it unfurnished doesn't mean you have to charge less. If anything I feel there is a demand for unfurnished rental property in Dublin which could actually push those prices up a bit compared to furnished.

Either way, 1050 and 1100 are in the same ballpark so I think you'd be wasting your time disputing it.

Hi Awec,

Don't you think, furnishing the property will cost LL more money where LL has to vacate the property for month or two atleast along with to give first month rent to estate agent on signing new contract but if he renew an existing contract, LL doesn't have to pay above charges to Estate agent and won't loose any monthly rent for not vacating the property for furnishing purpose.

Looks to me most of reply here are favouring Landlords which is again favouring wealthy people but no help for tenant having difficulty paying high rents.
    We are living in materialistic society I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    So... his rent doesn't matter, as it's not a similar property. How much are town houses to rent in your area? The one next to you went for higher, so I'm guessing a few other town houses are going for similar?

If you bring it to the PTRB, the landlord will probably say that the 1100 is within the average.

Oh, and you mention that you plan on leaving in 3 or 4 months. Best of luck in the PTRB seeing you before then, if the stories here are anything to go by.

Hi The_syco,

Like I mentioned earlier in same estate, why another estate agent has advertised the property in lower asking rent whereas its same property like mine or one besides me. Would this not reflect market rate of same estate?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hi The_syco,

Like I mentioned earlier in same estate, why another estate agent has advertised the property in lower asking rent whereas its same property like mine or one besides me. Would this not reflect market rate of same estate?
    Thanks.

You can't go by advertised prices it's a crazy market out there by advertising a low price you get instant interest from multiple prospective tenants all willing to pay more than others to secure a property

Looks to me most of reply here are favouring Landlords which is again favouring wealthy people but no help for tenant having difficulty paying high rents.

No we're living in the real world and you appear to be in fantasy land.

LL's aren't some subhuman species, they are people with rights just like you are also a person with rights and a 50 euro swing between properties in any given area does not seem unfair or unusual.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi Awec,

Don't you think, furnishing the property will cost LL more money where LL has to vacate the property for month or two atleast along with to give first month rent to estate agent on signing new contract but if he renew an existing contract, LL doesn't have to pay above charges to Estate agent and won't loose any monthly rent for not vacating the property for furnishing purpose.

Why would the LL need to furnish it? He would be able to rent it unfurnished no problem, and with today's Dublin rental market it's unlikely he would have any period of vacancy.

Chances are if you moved out someone else would move in the day after.
    Hi The_syco,

Thanks.

One property is not a suitable sample. You would need to show there is a pattern.

I know it sucks, our rent has gone up by over 300 euro a month in 24 months but unfortunately that's the reality of the market out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't you think, furnishing the property will cost LL more money where LL has to vacate the property for month or two atleast along with to give first month rent to estate agent on signing new contract

Furnishing a property does not take a competent landlord a month or two. More like 2-3 days. Maybe a week, if s/he is going to paint as well.

Not all agents take a months rent as a re-letting fee, some just get a fixed %-age of the rent each month.

Also, you are saying that your place has not been painted or had furniture replaced for six years. TBH, I would not expect that it would need new paint after only 6 years. And if furniture and that broke are replaced (you've said they were), then I cannot see that new stuff would be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Neighbouring house (next to me) with same landlord and agency was vacated two months ago where agency fully painted it from head to toe and all kitchen appliances were replaced with brand new and the new tenant has agreed at 1200 rent per month.
    Actually, on re-reading that, it sounds like the place got thrashed.

Advertisement