Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New telephone scam

Options
  • 14-07-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Got a call from a withheld number asking for me by name claiming to be ringing from Weirs about someone using a credit card to buy a Rolex in the store which was declined. he said the guy had given them my number to sort out that they were genuine . I had no time to stay on the line so I asked him to let me speak to the manager of weirs whom I claimed I knew he said OK and then hung up. He spoke with a Caribbean accent. Weirs informed me that this scam has been going on,naming them for 3 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So what was the scam? Maybe I missed it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So what was the scam? Maybe I missed it?

They will look to confirm card details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just never, ever give details (especially for cards) to any unsolicited caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If ever in doubt about an unsolicited phone call tell them you will call them back.
    Look the number up in the phone book and call them back from a DIFFERENT phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Just use common sense and you'll never get scammed over the phone.

I even do it with Bord Gais - they call me from a Withheld number and ask me to confirm my name & address for security - I say "No, you called me, you should have my details". They then say it's just to confirm I'm the right person, and I tell them again that I'm not giving out my details. They then ask that I call them back to confirm they're legit. I say No - because "I don't want to - you called me" and that's that. I know that they just want to book me in for a boiler service, but that's not the point.

Never give anyone info over the phone, unless you called them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Just use common sense and you'll never get scammed over the phone.

I even do it with Bord Gais - they call me from a Withheld number and ask me to confirm my name & address for security - I say "No, you called me, you should have my details". They then say it's just to confirm I'm the right person, and I tell them again that I'm not giving out my details. They then ask that I call them back to confirm they're legit. I say No - because "I don't want to - you called me" and that's that. I know that they just want to book me in for a boiler service, but that's not the point.

Never give anyone info over the phone, unless you called them.

??

So if there was a genuine issue that they needed to bring to your attention, how would it get resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

??

So if there was a genuine issue that they needed to bring to your attention, how would it get resolved?

Like what? I say "Send me a letter", which is what Bord Gais, The Revenue, AIB, etc, all do when it's something important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I've heard of a similar scam recently except they were from somebody claiming to be a British Police Officer who had his son or nephew 'John' in custody.

The scam is they 'pass you onto the bank' who then look to obtain your details.

They almost gave my elderly neighbour a heart attack. He had 60 or 70 grand in his account which he was told had been swiped. Luckily he was smart enough to go directly to his BoI branch and not give any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I still don't understand what the original scam in this thread is about. A person I've never heard of is in Weirs trying to buy a Rolex (I know this is all fake), there is a problem with his credit card, he gives the store assistant my number, they then call me and ask me for what - my personal credit card details to pay for the watch?

I might be missing something but are there people out there who are that stupid? Or what is the purpose of the phone call?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1983211

coylemj wrote: »
    I still don't understand what the original scam in this thread is about. A person I've never heard of is in Weirs trying to buy a Rolex (I know this is all fake), there is a problem with his credit card, he gives the store assistant my number, they then call me and ask me for what - my personal credit card details to pay for the watch?

I might be missing something but are there people out there who are that stupid? Or what is the purpose of the phone call?

yeah I don't get it .. why should I pay for somebody else rolex ? Besides it's not like he is buying an organ transplant, even if it was my mum and her card was refused, just leave the rolex watch and walk away ... can't believe somebody would be so dumb and give credit card details, but how on earth they came up with this story. If I want to scam people, I would at least spend more than 20 seconds coming up with the story ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tell them you don't have a credit card?

Advertisement