Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design Thesis/Dissertation

Options
  • 14-07-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

When I return to college in September (i'm studying graphic design) I will be starting my thesis/dissertation.

Has anyone any ideas about how you approach one? How are the topics chosen and do write an argument or research a topic?

I'd especially be interested in someone who has experience in doing one for a graphic design course. Advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EtoinShrdlu

I did a thesis for my design degree (way back in the day). More recently I went back to college in 2010 to study an MA in Graphic Design, and part of the final submission at the end of the year was a Report and Visual Summary on my final project. Although the report & summary (separate items) were different to a thesis in that they were on the project I did rather than a separate subject I had to research, they seemed easier to write/research as they began with a question. I remember for my degree thesis I just seemed to pull together all the information I could find on the subject, and then put it all together in my own words. The MA report seemed more concise because it was focused on answering the question, which also made it easier to research.

It may not be possible, but if it is I’d base your thesis on a question – even if you don’t actually write the question in at the start. In my experience it keeps things on track even if the ‘answer’ wasn’t what you expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 White Light

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to formulate an opinion/conclusion and then write 5000 words to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EtoinShrdlu

Good luck with it all!

Advertisement