Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I report a dog to the warden?

• 14-07-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

There is a golden retriever dog in our small estate that appears to have the reputation for attacking cats and dogs in the locale. Today it attacked our cat who was minding his own business sleeping on a chair in our back garden, leaving him extremely traumatised and bleeding. What do you think my first course of action should be? We know where the dog lives but have never met the owners.

Thanks,
    Jenn

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yes, always report dangerous stray dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I think maybe you should approach the owners first, hopefully they will take heed and take steps to keep the dog more secure. Even if they won't do anything it's probably best to give them a chance to sort the situation before calling the dog warden. If the dog is prone to attacking other dogs or cats it may also bite a small child, especially since it's going onto other peoples property so it's worth pointing that out to the owners.

Secondly, I'd advise trying to make your back garden more secure so that your cat can feel safe from uninvited guests, the poor thing must be traumatised after what happened. Did it need to go to the vets? I've cats myself so can empathise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

FonE wrote: »
    I think maybe you should approach the owners first, hopefully they will take heed and take steps to keep the dog more secure. Even if they won't do anything it's probably best to give them a chance to sort the situation before calling the dog warden. If the dog is prone to attacking other dogs or cats it may also bite a small child, especially since it's going onto other peoples property so it's worth pointing that out to the owners.

Secondly, I'd advise trying to make your back garden more secure so that your cat can feel safe from uninvited guests, the poor thing must be traumatised after what happened. Did it need to go to the vets? I've cats myself so can empathise.

We're keeping an eye on him til tomorrow and will see how he goes. He was hit by a car last year and had a few trips to the vet because of that so we want to avoid the vets if possible because it freaks him out. I thought about contacting the owners, but since I don't know them- I don't know how they will react. Would a dog warden just remove the dog or would it warn them first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'd agree, though I would probably say to talk to others in the neighbourhood first. It's great if the owners are lovely people who just didn't realise that their dog was causing an issue. If they don't give a damn, and you talk to them about it but they do nothing so you call the warden, they will know it was you who did the calling.

One time, there was a dog who lived behind us in a housing estate that barked constantly, I mean never shut up. We went to the owners to complain and they said they would start walking it more etc. But then a week later, someone else had called the dog warden on them and they came around to our house shouting abuse and they were really horrible to us. Eventually we convinced them that it wasn't us but still, if they aren't the type of people to react well to a dog warden being called, you will have to continue to live near them. And considering this is an ongoing problem, it's likely that they already know and don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just because a dog will attack cats or other dogs absolutely does not suggest that the dog might bite a child. They are not even the same species, and dogs do in fact know the difference.
    My last dog killed the only cat he managed to catch and regularly fought with dogs if he managed to get close enough. Once almost killed a westie when he escaped in the space of 3 minutes.
    And never, ever, EVER once did he bite a child, or even growl at one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Too that op if I may ask people if you report a dog that's constantly out without supervision to the warden, does the warden have to say who complained or can you remain anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Just because a dog will attack cats or other dogs absolutely does not suggest that the dog might bite a child. They are not even the same species, and dogs do in fact know the difference.
    My last dog killed the only cat he managed to catch and regularly fought with dogs if he managed to get close enough. Once almost killed a westie when he escaped in the space of 3 minutes.
    And never, ever, EVER once did he bite a child, or even growl at one.

Fair point. But it doesn't mean that the dog won't bite a child (or adult), either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

If the same dog had attacked a farmers animals I am sure the only thing the owner would be getting on their doorstep is the collar back.

I think it is important to be clear here, your cat was attacked and harmed by the dog. I would politely make the owners of the animal aware of what their pet has done and allow them an opportunity to take appropriate action.

If you receive a hostile and negative reaction from the owners then I would contact the Warden. Take photos of your cat and keep any veterinary fee receipts, if nothing else the owner should accept responsibility and make good by way of paying the expenses you have incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I'd just ring the warden OP. As someone else said, if this dog has been out and about in the past attacking or chasing other dogs/cats, then it's pretty obvious the owners know and don't care - it doesnt seem to be an isolated case of the dog getting out and going after the first animal it saw, so approaching the owner isnt going to make any difference.

Hope your poor kitty is ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

There is a golden retriever dog in our small estate that appears to have the reputation for attacking cats and dogs in the locale. Today it attacked our cat who was minding his own business sleeping on a chair in our back garden, leaving him extremely traumatised and bleeding. What do you think my first course of action should be? We know where the dog lives but have never met the owners.

Thanks,
    Jenn

This is the bit that would do it for me. Your cat,dog,rabbit,kid or whatever should be safe in your own back garden.
    While this dog might never attack a child or other vulnerable person the fact that a large dog is free to enter peoples back gardens is a problem that needs to be sorted and imho the local dog warden is the best place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I would just be contacting the dog warden and let the warden contact the owners from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair point. But it doesn't mean that the dog won't bite a child (or adult), either.
    A dog who has never attacked cats or other dogs could also bite a child or adult. It's a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

RustyNut wrote: »
    This is the bit that would do it for me. Your cat,dog,rabbit,kid or whatever should be safe in your own back garden.
    While this dog might never attack a child or other vulnerable person the fact that a large dog is free to enter peoples back gardens is a problem that needs to be sorted and imho the local dog warden is the best place to start.

In fairness, everybody should have a secure back garden if they have a pet of any species or a child. If a dog can get in then what's to stop others?

And I'm in agreement that a dog would not necessarily attack a child or a human just because it attacked a cat. When a dog chases or attacks another animal or small furry it's because it has an instinctive prey drive, not necessarily because it's animal aggressive. Lots of dogs cannot live with cats/rabbits/rodents because of prey drive, it doesn't suggest they're all child biters.

OP I would call the dog warden if you see the dog out and about again, it obviously belongs to somebody but they may even be unaware that it's getting out of their own garden. Even if somebody could get hold of the dog and bring it to the nearest vet to check for a microchip could shed light on the ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

In fairness, everybody should have a secure back garden if they have a pet of any species or a child. If a dog can get in then what's to stop others?

Really the point I was making is that if somebody owns a potentially dangerous animal then the animal should be secured. I shouldn't have to keep dangerous animals out, their owners should keep them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Really the point I was making is that if somebody owns a potentially dangerous animal then the animal should be secured. I shouldn't have to keep dangerous animals out, their owners should keep them in.

You shouldn't have to but if you know there's a dog roaming around the place you should be pro-active for the simple fact that some people don't give a crap about you or their own pet let alone yours.

OP we have a similar problem in the park - guy has a dangerous dog that's extremely unpredictable attacking all of the others and growling at owners. I don't go in at certain times to avoid him after a close call with my two :( I'm not sure if anyone called the warden but I heard on the grapevine that a group of people complained to and are in contact with the community garda (I didn't know we even had one!) after they asked the guy nicely to keep the dog on lead and he ignored them. The guy was ordered not to come in the park but comes in anyway, more people complained and last I heard he was to appear in court.
    The only thing is now the guy and his brother are now walking around guns blazing looking for a fight with everyone who has a 'vendetta against his dog' - so for this reason as it's your neighbor I'd approach them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And my point is all animals should be secured, not just what people deem to be "dangerous" ie with prey drive or fear aggressive. If another animal can get into your garden, then yours can get out and while your dog may not be deemed aggressive you could still be prosecuted for letting your dog roam apart from the risk of other animals entering your garden. Even if your dog isn't a troublemaker you still have a responsibility to keep him secure on your property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I think it works both ways RustyNut... While you are correct it is all owners responsibility to keep their dog secure in their garden (whether aggressive or not)... but its equally all our responsibilities to ensure our dogs are safe inside our gardens and this means making sure we keep out uninvited guests :o

Advertisement