Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon 3 weeks after Ironman?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Enduro wrote: »

Feel free to try to break it :). .

Feel free to try and break 60mins for an IM swim :P

Horses for courses ;)

Gotta take your sheer base into context and add a bag of salt. When was the last time you considered a marathon a long run?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Feel free to try to break it :). It'd give me the motivation to get our there and give it another go. For reference, the next two people behind me are both Irish international ultra trail runners.

Thats probably far less impressive than you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Then how do you explain Bob Beamon's 1968 Olympic Long jump then? Or the fact that in since then only one person has broken it? Have all the olympic, world championship, national championship etc etc jumper been insufficiently motivated to go for the record? Seriously? All the best long jumpers in the world now lack motivation to break a 20 year old WR? Sometimes phenomenal athletes turn up. It's rare, but it does happen. Kouros is in that category... try reading into the subject and you'll see what I mean (there's lots of interesting stories).

I don't follow athletics and had no idea who Bob Beamon was. So I'm trusting Wikipedia is correct on this. He never jumped remotely near his world record ever again and several favourable factors were in play the day he set his record. That one single jump was a total freak occurrence, not necessarily Bob Beamon himself. However good Kouras might be, he is running in events that the vast, vast majority of runners never do. It's Olympics events that the most promising young runners in any country are going to be attracted to. Anybody who makes the grade is hardly going to give it up to pursue a career in ultra running. It just doesn't have the same financial incentives or prestige. Are there any Olpmic medalists who made the step up to ultra running? If you could name some and depending on how they fared then I might accept I am underestimating the overall standard.
    Feel free to try to break it :). It'd give me the motivation to get our there and give it another go. For reference, the next two people behind me are both Irish international ultra trail runners.

Like most people who run, I have no interest in ultra running. But nevermind me and I apologise if I'm underestimating your ability, but do you think John Treacy in his prime, or someone of his ilk, wouldn't be capable of breaking it?
    Ahh FFS man, would you knock it off. There's nothing special about racing an IM. I've raced for Ireland at multiple different events. I've competed at multiple 24 hour world championships, ultra trail world championships, Adventure racing world championships etc etc. I've competed in many races that are listed in "worlds hardest" lists, and I've even gotton on the podium on one or two of them. The harder the race, and the higher the standard the more I love it. Honestly, you're off your head if you think there is anything in the slightrest bit daunting about racing an IM. get over yourself!

I'm trying to post in a polite and civil manner, I'd appreciate if you could do the same.
    By racing I mean going fast. And in my case at least, the hard work is done in the months before an Ironman. Try one week of the training that I do, and tell me if it's easy. For me at least I want to do well in an Ironman and it is daunting. Ten 400s can be a daunting session if you want to run them fast.
    Kudos to you on your podiums, but you seem to be equating longer with harder, which I don't necessarily agree with. A 4 minute mile is only 4 minutes, but you can be sure as hell it's damn fncking hard.
    I've no reason to disbelieve that. If you don't think you can do it then you most certainly won't be able to. But don't project that limitation onto everyone else. Everyone is different. Some people naturally have much better recovery and adaptability than others.

I don't think I could do it, because my PB was set after 5 months of dedicated marathon training, and there isn't any chance whatsoever I'd be able to better it without doing the same again. Three weeks after an Ironman, it has nothing to do with believing I could run a PB or not. I know I couldn't. Simple as.
    Experienced triathletes have already said on this thread you can't run a good marathon off a season of triathlon training. I'm pretty sure you've never done an ironman, so perhaps you should listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You'd need to take into account of the world record standards for both events to do that though. The 24 hour WR is a "Bob Beaman" type whereby no-one else has ever got near it. One outstanding freakishly good athlete set the record(s) way above what even even the best of the rest have managed. All is obvious when you look at the all time best list.

I don't see any East Africans on that list - I suppose they usually follow where the money is.

This argument is very like people that say Katie Taylor is Ireland Greatest sportsperson. I don't rate her anywhere near O Driscoll, Harrington, Sonia, women's boxing just don't have the depth of other more mainstream sports

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sunita1211

Yes no Science and but Simple LOGIC!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

There is a 10 mile route myself and 5 guys run most days. I broke the Irish record for that route last week. Nobody has got within 2 minutes of it, ever! It was a Bob Beamon effort.

Back to reality and the original poster. If you race an iron man all out I doubt you will be able to race a marathon PB afew weeks later. Unless your marathon PB is relatively poor or you have a history of successive long distance events over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 delboy224

This thread is just getting boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 day walker101

Like you said, different for each person, I raced an IM a couple of weeks back, I have always been quick to recover from most events/ races. I was down to race a NS event exactly 3 weeks later and pulled out as I felt it'd weigh me down further, to conclude, 3 weeks was not nearly enough time. But thats just me. :) I did but a nut at IM though so I guess lots of factors need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

catweazle wrote: »
    I don't see any East Africans on that list - I suppose they usually follow where the money is.

No East Africans, just like triathlon. They do indeed tend to follow the money for good reason. Although Kenya did send a team to the commonwealth ultra trail championship in Wales a few years back. They looked good for a while, before disintigrating.

zico10 wrote: »
    I don't follow athletics and had no idea who Bob Beamon was. So I'm trusting Wikipedia is correct on this. He never jumped remotely near his world record ever again and several favourable factors were in play the day he set his record. That one single jump was a total freak occurrence, not necessarily Bob Beamon himself. However good Kouras might be, he is running in events that the vast, vast majority of runners never do. It's Olympics events that the most promising young runners in any country are going to be attracted to. Anybody who makes the grade is hardly going to give it up to pursue a career in ultra running. It just doesn't have the same financial incentives or prestige. Are there any Olpmic medalists who made the step up to ultra running? If you could name some and depending on how they fared then I might accept I am underestimating the overall standard.

So IM distance triathalon is of a low standard and couldn't possibly attract any athletes of merit becuase it is not an olympic sport, true?

The vast majority of runners don't race 100 meter sprints either. That doesn't demerit Usain Bolt in any way. In fact the vast majority of athletes don't do any track racing of any distance.

Triathlon is a minority sport, with as near as makes no difference no particpation whatsover outside the developed world. Does that belittle the best triathletes?
    Like most people who run, I have no interest in ultra running. But nevermind me and I apologise if I'm underestimating your ability, but do you think John Treacy in his prime, or someone of his ilk, wouldn't be capable of breaking it?

It's possible, but I'd say its unlikely. Clearly he was a world class marathon runner. It's highly likely (to say the least) that the marathon was his optimal distance. Since he was also world class at shorter CC races I would guess that makes it unlikely that he would be world class at ultra trail. It's likely that the longer the run beyond marathon, the more he would be running beyond his optimal ability. Usain Bolt is faster than John Treacy, why not suggest him (That's a trite question to try to get the point accross.... the distances are very different. Being good at shorter stuff does not automatically mean being good at longer stuff and vice versa).

I'm trying to post in a polite and civil manner, I'd appreciate if you could do the same.

I'm sorry if that came accross as impolite. If we were having the conversation in real life you'd see me smiling as I said it.
    By racing I mean going fast. And in my case at least, the hard work is done in the months before an Ironman. Try one week of the training that I do, and tell me if it's easy. For me at least I want to do well in an Ironman and it is daunting. Ten 400s can be a daunting session if you want to run them fast.
    Kudos to you on your podiums, but you seem to be equating longer with harder, which I don't necessarily agree with. A 4 minute mile is only 4 minutes, but you can be sure as hell it's damn fncking hard.

I'm not trying to be impolite here, but you're making a lot of bizarre assumptions there. I don't know if its the old traditional triathlon exceptionalism thing or what.

But guess what... Other sportpeople outside of IM competitors train hard too.
    Do you really think that anything your describing is in any way specific to your IM training. Ten 400s might be daunting to you, but it would just be another speedwork session to me. Nothing in the slightest bit daunting about it (and far from the hardest session I would schedule in for myself). I don't think I've ever found anything about putting in hard training sessions daunting. You had originally said that it was racing IMs which was daunting. Now your saying that its training for IMs which is daunting. Again, I don't see anything particularly daunting.

You want to do well in a non-olympic minority sport, and you find that daunting. I compete against the best in the world in a non-olympic minority sport. I really don't see why you think I would find it so daunting to train and compete in IM.

BTW, you seem to be under the mis-apprehension that I can't move quickly (which is a silly assumption... I've won plenty of shorter races over the years). I know you were training for connemara last year. Want to compare PBs to see who is puts in the more daunting training :)

I don't think I could do it, because my PB was set after 5 months of dedicated marathon training, and there isn't any chance whatsoever I'd be able to better it without doing the same again. Three weeks after an Ironman, it has nothing to do with believing I could run a PB or not. I know I couldn't. Simple as.
    Experienced triathletes have already said on this thread you can't run a good marathon off a season of triathlon training. I'm pretty sure you've never done an ironman, so perhaps you should listen to them.

Again I absolutely believe that if you know you couldn't then there is no way you could run a marathon PB after an IM. I don't doubt that for a second. However everyone is different. You really shouldn't project your own limitations onto everyone else. There are people out there with better recovery and more adaptability.

Nothing is possible until its done. I've never done an IM. I've done plenty of races much longer (and much shorter) than an IM, and I've found that a lot of what is said "can't be done" is pure BS, from actual experience.

• Advertisement

BTW, you seem to be under the mis-apprehension that I can't move quickly (which is a silly assumption... I've won plenty of shorter races over the years). I know you were training for connemara last year. Want to compare PBs to see who is puts in the more daunting training :)

Actually I figured that one out. You've done the more daunting training :D. Nice time on that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I started typing out a response, but it was taking too long and I realised we were just going round in circles. But just to address the below; I wouldn't say Ironman racing at the highest level is of a low standard, but I do actually suspect there is an element of truth to what you say.
    So IM distance triathalon is of a low standard and couldn't possibly attract any athletes of merit becuase it is not an olympic sport, true?

Regarding my comment about being impolite, it came from you saying 'FFS' and 'You must be off your rocker.' If you said them with a smile on your face, that would indeed be different. I've just lived a very sheltered life, don't mind me.

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest with you. I never suggested the events you do are easy or that they truathletes are the only ones who train hard.
    I just thought referring to ironman races as being 'short little distances' was unnecessarily inflammatory. That is all!

Or maybe I just need to lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ok, so thought I'd update this!

I did Barcelona and was very happy with my 10:40 on the day. Was a little disappointed with my run on the day (4.07) but that's just nit picking - overall, my target of sub 11 was achieved and I spent the next two weeks very much 'off the wagon' - Beers, wine, bad food etc.

I took the approach to really rest and only did 1 x 6 k run between finishing IM and starting the Marathon.

Due to the lack of training, I genuinely had no idea how I'd do. I lined up with the 3.40 pacers and was relaxed.

Straight from the off, my heart rate was way higher than it normally is at that pace - had to let them go after 3km. Even with slowing to 3.45 pace, my heart rate was still too high (wanted to run in zone 2, but was 3.7/3.8)

Stopped looking at the watch and concentrated on enjoying it and really was. Castleknock was amazing.

At mile 11, my knee cap popped out - never happened before?! Popped it back in and continued. It wasn't sore, just stopped me in my tracks until I popped it back in. This happened continuously from then on. Stop start. Rest of my body felt good.

Towards the 30k mark, my feet started to blister (again, never happened and was wearing the same socks and shoes as I always do)

Last 8 k were really tough - blisters killing me and knee popping out. Had to walk for a while at 37k and only got moving again properly at 40 k.

Finished in 4.07 and was really sore and tired at the end. Far more than at the end of the ironman.

So... can you do a marathon 3 weeks after an Ironman? Yes. I did the same time yesterday as I did in the IM

Is it a good idea? No, Certainly not for me. I had zero motivation after IM and was sorry I'd signed up. My body fell apart in a way I've never experienced in my previous 4 stand alone marathons.

Still, got a nice new long sleeve top and a medal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

"My knee-cap popped out".

Dude! Ew.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

davedanon wrote: »
    "My knee-cap popped out".

Dude! Ew.

He popped it back in. Repeatedly. And kept going. Seriously, when we take up endurance sport do we lose brain cells?

Oryx wrote: »
    He popped it back in. Repeatedly. And kept going. Seriously, when we take up endurance sport do we lose brain cells?

Ha! It actually never occurred to me to stop, so maybe you're right!

Bit of ice last night and its perfect today but will need to be checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

has happened to better half, out and back in quickly and easily with no pain a couple of times..out and back in with lots of pain.. and fluid to be drained off knee,all on left leg, just 2 weeks ago,right kneecap came out, as a result of a fall and didnt go back in, so it was way off to the side of her leg.. put back by a&e after an ambulance ride and a lot of morphine.. just off the crutches and hobbling about now.. wont be doing anything strenuous on it for a while id imagine..

good idea to get it looked at..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Spotted a lad I know from Fingal TC on Fosters Avenue who also did Barcelona IM this month. Looked up his time afterwards & he did 3:04:54 which I think might be a PB for him as he did 3:09:50 in 2013.

PWEI wrote: »
    Spotted a lad I know from Fingal TC on Fosters Avenue who also did Barcelona IM this month. Looked up his time afterwards & he did 3:04:54 which I think might be a PB for him as he did 3:09:50 in 2013.

Yep, Nigel did a Dublin mara PB and almost the same as his Rotterdam PB. He took a different approach to me and did plenty of running (including a 35k run) between Barca and Marathon.

He's a machine though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trytoirontri

Yep, Nigel did a Dublin mara PB and almost the same as his Rotterdam PB. He took a different approach to me and did plenty of running (including a 35k run) between Barca and Marathon.

He's a machine though!

Wow! That's impressive. Not just the PB but having the time to put in that training after all the time already spent training for the IM. I'm looking at doing an IM next year and have no doubt I will owe a big time debt to the loved ones by the time I complete it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement