Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free tv for a year

• 14-07-2015 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Have BB and phone with UPC paying 45 pm .....been offered tv aswell for 12 months at 40 pm........what's the length of contract on that? doesn't specify

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I was sent that offer too, as I'm on the same package (45/month broadband and phone). It seems to be a 12 month contract, and if you continue after the year it goes to €80/ month. I was thinking it was a sweet deal, but there are no more free calls to mobiles, which are in the current €45/month bundle (without TV). I mostly call mobiles and some national calls, so I can rely on my current bill being €45/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

donalfo wrote: »
    I was sent that offer too, as I'm on the same package (45/month broadband and phone). It seems to be a 12 month contract, and if you continue after the year it goes to €80/ month. I was thinking it was a sweet deal, but there are no more free calls to mobiles, which are in the current €45/month bundle (without TV). I mostly call mobiles and some national calls, so I can rely on my current bill being €45/month.

I don't use the phone part at all of my current deal, so could be a no brainer for me .....free tv at a cheaper price! are you certain it's only 12 month contract?

If you press the "get it" link you get more details Total prices

Price
    € 40.00

Price after 12 months
    € 80.00

One-off costs € 0.00

Continue

All prices include VAT. 12 month contract applies.

I don't use the phone too much, I'm still thinking about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They've offered it to me too, but about three months too late, when I'm in contract with Sky.

I've Sky too, wouldn't think of switching to UPC but if it costs nothing wouldn't mind having it in another room, there has to be a catch.....12 months for nothing then you can just cancel?

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I've Sky too, wouldn't think of switching to UPC but if it costs nothing wouldn't mind having it in another room, there has to be a catch.....12 months for nothing then you can just cancel?

As far as I see, but you need to be currently on the phone and BB bundle to get the deal.

As far as I see, but you need to be currently on the phone and BB bundle to get the deal.

Hmm perhaps they've had some BB customers moving to Sky's BB and are tieing people down to new 12 month contracts on it .......suits me actually, am happy with their broadband and equally with Sky tv had no intention of switching either so get the best of both worlds and for a fiver less

I'm sure there are a number of people in my situation who are ex-UPC customers who ditched them for TV but kept their broadband. Loads will be in contract with Sky and unable to take up this (fairly generous) offer. That said I'm like the last poster, happy with UPC for broadband and Sky for TV (and everything inferior about UPC that made me switch hasn't changed).

icdg wrote: »
    I'm sure there are a number of people in my situation who are ex-UPC customers who ditched them for TV but kept their broadband. Loads will be in contract with Sky and unable to take up this (fairly generous) offer. That said I'm like the last poster, happy with UPC for broadband and Sky for TV (and everything inferior about UPC that made me switch hasn't changed).

Aren't you at all tempted by the 'free' tv? actually will cost less pm for the overall package (for me anyhow)........I believe the broadband comes through the Horizon box? is it possible to keep the existing router

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

sonofenoch wrote:
    Aren't you at all tempted by the 'free' tv? actually will cost less pm for the overall package (for me anyhow)........I believe the broadband comes through the Horizon box? is it possible to keep the existing router

yes of u have a splitter.... just setup both...upc allowed me to keep the router !!

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »
    yes of u have a splitter.... just setup both...upc allowed me to keep the router !!

Good stuff, might try it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you press the "get it" link you get more details Total prices

All prices include VAT. 12 month contract applies.

I don't use the phone too much, I'm still thinking about it.

Hpwever, if you click on the terms and conditions, you get
    Offer ends 21/08/15. A minimum contract period of eighteen months for UPC TV, Broadband and Home
    Phone applies.

It'd make ye think! :)

Nicely spotted, I'll have to check that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hpwever, if you click on the terms and conditions, you get
    Offer ends 21/08/15. A minimum contract period of eighteen months for UPC TV, Broadband and Home
    Phone applies.

Looks to me if they are trying to lock people in for 18 months with competition from Sky. I think I will stick to Free Sat/Netflix UPC BB and pay the 45€ a month for the unlimited mobiles for a while.

Aren't you at all tempted by the 'free' tv? actually will cost less pm for the overall package (for me anyhow)........

Even if I could get out of the Sky contract - which I can't - once you factor in adding Sky Sports and multi room (another €50!) the difference isn't much at all and worth it for the superior TV service on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

If you have BB and phone with upc you automatically get the basic cable TV service (17-18 channels?) free anyway, no need to pay any extra.

Yep clearly says '18 month contract applies' under price overview......that's me out

ooter wrote: »
    If you have BB and phone with upc you automatically get the basic cable TV service (17-18 channels?) free anyway, no need to pay any extra.

That's what I have at the moment. I think I'll stick to it, the basic channels are the ones watched the most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

donalfo wrote:
    That's what I have at the moment. I think I'll stick to it, the basic channels are the ones watched the most.

ooter wrote:

Its analogue channels afaik !!

That's correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

tharmor wrote: »
    Its analogue channels afaik !!

Yeah, more than enough for me, obviously other people will be be different.
    If there's anything on another channel I want to see I just download it.
    I have basic upc cable in 5 rooms FOC, happy out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

icdg wrote: »
    Even if I could get out of the Sky contract - which I can't - once you factor in adding Sky Sports and multi room (another €50!) the difference isn't much at all and worth it for the superior TV service on Sky.

You can get Sky Sports on UPC too!

Plus take into consideration that with UPC you can stream all the channels to two devices (PC, tablets, etc.) that could potentially save you on the multiroom fee.

Of course you are locked into contract with Sky now, but if you weren't it would be well worth considering. I agree that Sky HD is better then UPC Horizon. But it certainly isn't €30 per month better!
    ooter wrote: »

Well strictly speaking you are supposed to pay extra for that. Though there is nothing they can do to stop you if you are getting BB.

It does however make for a nice free mutliroom option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think we are going to see the TV market turned on it's head and revolutionised over the next two years.

Basically what we are seeing is the duopoly of Sky and UPC being broken with lots of new competition.

You now have Eircom eVision, with it's free TV offer when bundled with their BB. And rumour has it that Vodafone is going to launch their own IPTV service over broadband literally any day now.

So we go from a duoploy to 4 companies competing aggressively.

Add to that saorview and Freesat becoming ever more popular and the rise of Netflix, Amazon PRime, HBO OnDemand, etc. and you can see the TV market will never be the same again.

What I expect we will see happen over the next two years is that basic 100 channel, ad supported TV which we currently pay about €30 per month for, will end up becoming free from almost everyone when bundled with broadband. Just like phone services are basically free now when bundled with BB.

You will still of course have to pay for Sky sports and movies and maybe Sky Atlantic. But most TV bills will be going away :D

This isn't good news for Sky, I think Sky is very badly placed in the new market reality and will find it hard to adjust and compete.

FYI, I asked on the Talk To UPC forum, they confirmed it is an 18 month contact. €80 per month for the 6 months after the "free" 12 months.

You can cancel the TV part after 12 months and keep just broadband. But would involve a €200 cancellation fee!!

Obviously that wouldn't make sense, you would be better off keep the TV for the additional 6 months as it would end up costing only €240 for the 6 extra months.

It still isn't a bad deal, it basically works out as €8.33 extra a month for TV over the length of the 18 month contract.

Think of it as getting 240Mb/s BB + unlimited landline calls + 100 channel TV * for €53.33 per month. Not bad at all.

* + 21 HD channels, record 4 channels while watching a 5th, My Prime, Horizon Go and on Demand. Really a lot there.

Obviously after 18 months you should cancel the TV or shop around with Eircom/Sky/Vodafone or even just threaten to leave and I'm sure you could get a similar deal.

It's a very good deal for those without Sky or are happy to quit Sky and move the lot over......but like I previously said I'm very happy with UPC broadband and Sky for tv.......have seen the digital version of UPC (not Horizon) and it just doesn't compare in my opinion......would have been good to have it as a second option at a lower price than I'm even paying now for the bb, not interested in paying another 40 bucks even for just the 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I am on 240 bb + landlines + mobile for 45 euro.

I haven't checked yet but if I take this offer I lose the mobile calls. Is that right?

It's a very good deal for those without Sky or are happy to quit Sky and move the lot over......but like I previously said I'm very happy with UPC broadband and Sky for tv.......have seen the digital version of UPC (not Horizon) and it just doesn't compare in my opinion......would have been good to have it as a second option at a lower price than I'm even paying now for the bb, not interested in paying another 40 bucks even for just the 6 months

Certainly having Sky for TV and UPC for Broadband is the best experience. However I've just done the maths and it is VERY expensive to do this now!

It would cost €30 per month extra for an existing UPC customer to get Sky separate over just UPC for everything and it is even better for someone new to UPC, it is €33 per month cheaper then going for Sky + UPC separately!!!

That is a saving of €594 over the length of an 18 month contract. Easily enough for a nice holiday.

While I agree that Sky TV in some ways is better then UPC Horizon, it certainly isn't worth it for €33 per month extra!!!

Also Horizon is way better then the old UPC digital TV service. It has improved vastly and really isn't too far off Sky TV and surpases it other ways (free mutliroom, Horizon Go, free ondemand, etc.)

Here is the maths for all the bundle options for a new customer:

UPC (BB + TV)
    (25 × 12) + (80 × 6) = 780
    780 / 18 = 43.33 per month

Eircom (BB + TV)
    (30 × 6) + (73 × 12) = 1,056
    1,056/ 18 = 58.66 per month

Note the above is only for 50 channel TV and no HD. Add €13 per month to add the extra 50 TV channels and HD that both the UPC and Sky packages include, so for equivalence:
    58.66 + 13 = 71.66 per month

UPC BB + Sky HD TV
    (25 × 6) + (45 × 12) + (38 × 18) = 1,374
    1,374/18 = 76.33 per month

Sky BB + Sky HD TV
    (30 × 6) + (50 × 12) + (38 × 18) = 1,464
    1,464/ 18 = 81.33 per month

And here are the numbers for existing customers. Note no Eircom numebrs as their site makes it hard to figure out, I assume much more expensive then any of the below options:

UPC
    (40 × 12) + (80 × 6) = 960
    960/18 = 53.33 per month

UPC BB + Sky TV
    (45 × 18) + (38 × 18) = 1,494
    1,494/18 = 83 per month

Sky BB + TV
    (50 × 18) + (38 × 18) = 1,584
    1,584/ 18 = 88 per month

odckdo wrote: »
    I am on 240 bb + landlines + mobile for 45 euro.

I haven't checked yet but if I take this offer I lose the mobile calls. Is that right?

Yes, that is my understanding.

Personally I don't mind that as I think it is better to have unlimited mobile calls on your mobile. €15 Tesco mobile gets me unlimited texts, mobile and landline calls + 1GB data. Just FYI as people might not be aware of mobile deals like this.

I just signed up and upgraded my bb package to include horizon max. I was weighing it up against my freesat/saorview/netflix setup.

The way I looked at it:
    * the cost of netflix was the same as the cost of upgrading to Horizon Max.
    * the only channels of 'significance' I lose from freesat are channel 5 and spike.
    * but I gain 21 HD channels, sky 1, 2, living, sports news, nat geo, wild, discovery, eurosport 1 and 2 and many more.
    * didn't use my saorview box much but can now record Irish channels easily.
    * to be able to record 4 channels at one time means I don't need all the +1s on freesat.
    * means I should be able to record more programmes in HD whereas sometimes on freesat I had to relegate programmes to a SD +1 channel.
    * on freesat I found sometimes I couldn't record a BBC programme due to clashes. BBC don't repeat many programmes and I have no access to iPlayer. So the ability to record 4 programmes covers this I think.
    * My Prime/On Demand has a different variation of prograames but should compensate for Netflix.
    * Also with the savings I splashed out on Setanta (price has gone up today on Sky).

I think what bk said about the way TV offerings are being combined with broadband is changing the game. For me I think this deal is great. Once the 18 months are up I'll look around and switch if need to.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Does anyone have a channel listing for horizon max? Out of contract with sky and already have bb with UPC but nowhere can I find (or they provide) a full list of all the channels available in max, you'd think they would to encourage the switchers!h

Ginny wrote: »
    Does anyone have a channel listing for horizon max? Out of contract with sky and already have bb with UPC but nowhere can I find (or they provide) a full list of all the channels available in max, you'd think they would to encourage the switchers!h

On phone..

Link off upc.ie TV section 'Horizon TV Guide' gives a full 'live' guide. Horizon Max channels would be everything except Sky Movies Sports.

Or Google that term brings it up.

I know, it should first thing on site.

Advertisement