Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have estate agent but want to sell house without using them

Options
  • 14-07-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have my house with an estate agent but have been approached by a relative who wants to buy it... I paid the estate agent up front so they will be out the commission if I go ahead. I'm planning on telling them that I'm taking the house off the market and then selling it privately to my relative...... not sure if thats the right approach, is there any reason I can't do this ?? Can the estate agent do anything if they find out ??? Any advice ???:) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check whatever contract you signed with them.

Generally there will be advertising and other fees they'll want paid - but if you've already paid these as you say there shouldn't be any issues. Without knowing what you've signed, nobody can say for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Not sure they can do anything but I can assure you they will definitely find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Read the contract you signed with the EA, It will spell it out explicitly. I had one friend who ending up having to pay two commissions because they breached the contract and engaged another EA to sell the property. Very expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Thanks all, I can't find the contract at the moment thats why I was asking, obviously I need to find it, can't really ask for a copy or they'll get suspicious so will search for it again later.. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, unlike recruitment agencies who only take a cut for candidates they introduce, most estate agents explicity state that they are due a cut if the property is sold, regardless of who it's sold to. This usually extends for a few weeks or months after your contract with the EA ends.

So check the contract you have, it may just be a matter of informally agreeing with your relative on the sale but not starting any paperwork until the necessary time has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Ok so my contract with the estate agent is for a year... my next question is if I sell to my relation wil the estate agent expect commission on the price I sell for or what the asking price is... I will be selling it slightly cheaper than the asking price to my relative..... any ideas:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ok so my contract with the estate agent is for a year... my next question is if I sell to my relation wil the estate agent expect commission on the price I sell for or what the asking price is... I will be selling it slightly cheaper than the asking price to my relative..... any ideas:confused:

An agent can claim a commission, even if you sell the house without them involved at all?

**** I got into the wrong game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Often these contracts have an exit clause of about a month?

Advertisement