Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Barbershop (General Chat)

• 14-07-2015 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

So fellow wetshavers,

As we don't seem to have a huge number of posts on here I thought that a general chat/off-topic thread similar to the ones that a few other Boards forums have might be a good idea.

Most of the threads here seem to fizzle out after a few replies which is understandable given that there's only so much to say about any given shaving related topic so this could be useful just for general observations and chat.

It might also provide a nice way for anyone new to this way of shaving to post a quick question without feeling like they have to go out on a limb and create a whole new thread.

Thanks,
    Lizzyman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

I'll kick this off by saying that I've been having some great shaves recently. I've bought a L'Occitane Plisson brush which has to be the softest I've ever used. Their 'Cade' aftershave balm is pretty good too - got a few samples from the lady in the shop and I might buy some later in the year as the scent is a bit too woody for summertime.

I've also settled on the Gilette Tech and the Silver Blues as my razor/blade of choice. The combo of a mild razor and a sharp blade seems to work well for me. Having said that I find the silver blues to go off very fast. Usually I have to toss them after just one shave. Anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I seem to have pretty poor luck with L'Occitane products. I bought an EDT I saw on sale when passing the shop on Wicklow Street a few years ago. Went back in about 8 months later to buy some more and found it was discontinued. I recently remembered trying out L'Occatane Verdon aftershave in the store a while ago and fancied buying some about a month ago. Looks like that has been discontinued as well.

I'll let you guys know when I start using Cade so you can stock up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Back in the saddle this week after my shaving.ie order arrived.
    I let things slip by trying to buy locally, and never getting round to putting in an online order. All of a sudden Gillette blades and mach 3s become the norm.

I'd nearly forgotten how much of a difference decent blades make.

I think the Cade series of products has been around for ages so hopefully it won't be discontinued anytime soon. The balm is really nice, your local L'Occitane shop might have a few of the sample sachets if you wanted to give it a go hitem.

I had a great shave yesterday with a Mach3 as I was in a bit of a hurry and had a few cartridges around I needed to use up. It's always nice when a big box of the good stuff arrives from shaving.ie though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Just realised there that in a month or so it'll be 5 years since I last used my DE and 8 years since the last time I used a Mach/Cartridge style razor :eek: Every time I go to pick up my DE I'm like "ahh f*** it I'll use it next time" Really need to take her for a test drive again, the poor girl must be lonely as f*** these days. The thing is I actually always really enjoyed shaving with a DE but the power of the straight razor always proves to be too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Dramatik wrote: »
    ... the power of the straight razor always proves to be too much.

I have never used a 'proper' straight razor, although I have used a Feather Artist Club straight. I'm interested in using a straight but am unsure what to start with and am also concerned about keeping a straight properly honed. Is there anyone local that is reliable at honing or should I look at getting stones and doing it myself?

What do you local straight shavers do?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I stopped using mine and grew my beard out again. :P My barber offered to sharpen my straight for me, in fairness to him. But then I decided to try letting my hair grow long for the rest of the year. :o

Just realised there that in a month or so it'll be 5 years since I last used my DE and 8 years since the last time I used a Mach/Cartridge style razor :eek: Every time I go to pick up my DE I'm like "ahh f*** it I'll use it next time" Really need to take her for a test drive again, the poor girl must be lonely as f*** these days. The thing is I actually always really enjoyed shaving with a DE but the power of the straight razor always proves to be too much.

Did you find it a big jump going from the DE to a straight?

I have never used a 'proper' straight razor, although I have used a Feather Artist Club straight. I'm interested in using a straight but am unsure what to start with and am also concerned about keeping a straight properly honed. Is there anyone local that is reliable at honing or should I look at getting stones and doing it myself?

When I started with a straight razor I decided to learn how to hone for myself so I didn't have to rely on sending it out someone. It's not really a difficult skill to pick up, it just takes some time. How much time will depend on which way you go about honing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

hitemfrank wrote: »
    When I started with a straight razor I decided to learn how to hone for myself so I didn't have to rely on sending it out someone. It's not really a difficult skill to pick up, it just takes some time. How much time will depend on which way you go about honing.

I think that is what I would like to do as well. What resources did you use to learn the skill? Where did you get your stone(s)?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm completely new to straights and honing :o

• Advertisement

The first thing to do is to buy a straight from someone who is known to hone them before sending them out to customers. That way you will know what a shave ready razor should feel like. It's then not a bad idea to get a cheap second razor that you can practice honing on.

Honing can be done on natural stones, synthetic stones and also with lapping film. Lapping film is basically incredibly fine grit sand paper (they can go to somewhere around 20k grit). Depending on how bad the edge is on your razor will determine what stones/grit you need to use to get it back in shaving condition.

As to where to get them, there are lots of places. It will really depend on which route you decide to go down, natural or synthetic. Then depending on which natural stones or which synthetic stones or film you decide to go with will help decide where you should get them.

Wondering how the shavettes compare to a straight. From what I've read they're actually harder to use than a real straight razor.

They are feather light compared to a straight razor so going from shavette to straight razor is a big change (going the other way is too). The shaving edge is normally smaller but it's not an issue at all.

If you've never used a straight razor and want to cheaply give it a try a shavette can be a good way to learn the motions.

The fact that most will take normal DE blades is great for finding an edge you like. The only way get a different feeling edge on a straight razor is too hone it a different way.

I hone my own now but I used to get them honed here:

http://www.razorsharpening.co.uk/page2.html

It's quite expensive that's why I learned how to do it myself.

lizzyman wrote: »
    Did you find it a big jump going from the DE to a straight?

I didn't find it to bad myself, it does take time and practice as when you're looking in the mirror everything is backwards but as long as you take your time and concentrate on what you're doing you should be all right. You don't wanna be thinking about what you're going having for dinner later when you're shaving with one. You want to know exactly where the razor is in relation to your face at all times. You will cut yourself though, that's inevitable but it's just part of learning. It's not too sore though, you're not going to be writhing around on the ground with pain. If I was to try and describe what it feels like when you cut yourself with one, I would say it feels like if someone gave you a quick pinch on the face with their nails. It's a quick sharp pain that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up but only lasts a spit second and is gone just as quick as it came.

Thanks Dramatik, might look into a straight at some stage once I've mastered the DE shave. Still finding myself reaching for the Mach 3 sometimes when I'm lazy or in a rush out the door.

Using the Palmolive stick as my shaving soap of choice at the moment and I'm loving it. Great clean, forest-y kind of scent. My Dad has always used the Palmolive foam (which smells similar but like all the canned foams/goo performs terribly) so the scent always takes me back to my childhood. Always seems to leave my skin moisturised too which means I only need a tiny amount of balm after the shave. I could really see myself stockpiling this stuff if they ever decide to stop making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Cool video Gran. The shave he got didn't look too great though. If you pause it at 2.04 he seems to have a fair bit of stubble left in the moustache area!

I'm interested in the new place by Sugar Daddy opening soon. A barbershop staffed by proper old school Turkish barbers - I'll be down for an old school wet shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

I didn't find it to bad myself, it does take time and practice as when you're looking in the mirror everything is backwards but as long as you take your time and concentrate on what you're doing you should be all right. You don't wanna be thinking about what you're going having for dinner later when you're shaving with one. You want to know exactly where the razor is in relation to your face at all times. You will cut yourself though, that's inevitable but it's just part of learning. It's not too sore though, you're not going to be writhing around on the ground with pain. If I was to try and describe what it feels like when you cut yourself with one, I would say it feels like if someone gave you a quick pinch on the face with their nails. It's a quick sharp pain that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up but only lasts a spit second and is gone just as quick as it came.

It doesn't hurt but can bleed a lot :L get a styptic pencil, or proraso have a special gel that stops bleeding right away :)

• Advertisement

MetalBren wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt but can bleed a lot :L get a styptic pencil, or proraso have a special gel that stops bleeding right away :)

Yeah they do tend to bleed, an alum block will also help clot it if you don't have either of those, just prepare yourself for a bit of a "Home Alone" moment :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Afternoon all,

Today, mostly due to reading through this forum, I placed an order on shaving.ie for a muhle DE, semogue boar brush, proraso green pre-shave, Taylor cream, and an alum block.

Not that interesting I know, but i haven't wet shaved since my teenage years over 15yrs ago: ingrown hairs, razor burn, and all round unpleasantness turned me off.

Since then I have only ever used a beard trimmer, so i haven't been clean shaven since.

Looking forward to what could hopefully be a more enjoyable shaving experience, and any tips that you may have will be greatly appreciated!

Be patient and don't expect miracles. It will take some time to get the hang of shaving with a DE.

Also make sure you know the directions your stubble grows in. Once you work that out you can shave your first few times just with the direction the hair grows in. Once you're comfortable doing that you can start shaving across the direction of growth.

Cool, thanks for that. I had planned on maybe doing two passes wtg for the first few weeks just to see how i get on.

With a bit of luck things might work out well, otherwise look out for a few bits and pieces in the "for sale" thread!

As regards blades, any suggestions on a starting blade? I bought the premium starter blade pack

I always recommend one of the Personna or Astra blades to start. Sharp yet forgiving enough when starting.

My advice would be to go with a hot shower/bath before shaving and never run a blade over skin that hasn't lather on it!

The brief talk of straight razors and honing gave me the push I needed to get back into honing some of my straights. Well the ones that I knew needed some work. I still have 8(?) or so I'll have to work through to see what else needs work.

3gS7VBT.jpg

Taylor Eye Witness, Gold Dollar, Dovo and a Benz all got the lapping film treatment. The Gold Dollar was taken from 12 micron down to 1 micron while the other three went from 5 to 1. Still have to give them all a good stropping but I'll do that before I shave with them this week.

I'm now the proud owner of a bald left forearm so I know they are all sharp.

G rock wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Today, mostly due to reading through this forum, I placed an order on shaving.ie for a muhle DE, semogue boar brush, proraso green pre-shave, Taylor cream, and an alum block.

Not that interesting I know, but i haven't wet shaved since my teenage years over 15yrs ago: ingrown hairs, razor burn, and all round unpleasantness turned me off.

Since then I have only ever used a beard trimmer, so i haven't been clean shaven since.

Looking forward to what could hopefully be a more enjoyable shaving experience, and any tips that you may have will be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a good set up. I have the proraso white preshave and find it great and Taylors creams are very good and easy to lather up. Which of the Muhle DEs did you go for?

The r89.

It was between it and the merkur 34c. Both good starters I hear.

I'm hoping that since I haven't shaved in such a long time, I might not have any bad habits to unlearn when starting with a safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Has anyone any experience with this?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-cream.html

Previously I've used Proraso and Mitchell's and both have been excellent.

• Advertisement

Has anyone any experience with this?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/cella-shaving-cream.html

Previously I've used Proraso and Mitchell's and both have been excellent.

It's a typical Italian soft soap and works well for me. It's similar in consistency to the Prorasso soap in a tub. Scent is similar to marzipan.

I've gifted a couple of tubs to friends and they have all liked it. It's good for travelling as no need for separate lather bowl.

Advertisement