Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Barbershop (General Chat)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Seems to be one of those almost universally liked creams Cormac. Never seen anyone with a bad word to say about Cella. Will probably get a tub of it in my next order from shaving.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Thanks guys. That sounds like the one for me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

G rock wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Today, mostly due to reading through this forum, I placed an order on shaving.ie for a muhle DE, semogue boar brush, proraso green pre-shave, Taylor cream, and an alum block

Well that went OK I think....

I watched the nick shaves series on you tube, and got a few tips on lathering etc.

I had a good bit of stubble starting out, and my first lather probably wasn't up to much, so the first pass was conducted fairly gingerly.

Second pass a bit better as a result of a better lather I think.

Then just tidied up wtg on the third, and then got to see how i fared when the alum went on - a bit of sting here and there!

Overall I'm happy enough, will have to get some practice in.

My chin feels weird after fifteen years of hiding under Stubble!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

G rock wrote: »
    Well that went OK I think....

I watched the nick shaves series on you tube, and got a few tips on lathering etc.

I had a good bit of stubble starting out, and my first lather probably wasn't up to much, so the first pass was conducted fairly gingerly.

Second pass a bit better as a result of a better lather I think.

Then just tidied up wtg on the third, and then got to see how i fared when the alum went on - a bit of sting here and there!

Overall I'm happy enough, will have to get some practice in.

My chin feels weird after fifteen years of hiding under Stubble!

Glad it went well for you. Nick's shaves is a great starting point to learn from.

Tbh, I found it harder to maintain a correct angle on the left hand side of my face (i'm a rightie) so i'm hoping that with some practice I'll get better. It's the left hand side of my face that is tingling at the minute.

Lathering on that side was worse too.

As regards alum, I wet the block, rubbed it on, let it sit for a few mins, then rinsed with cold water. Correct?

Also, is there a top and bottom of the blades, or does it matter when you're loading the razor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You could always try bowl lathering and then just paint it on. You'd have more to work with then.

With alum there really is no correct way, some people leave it on others will wash it off. I prefer to wash it off with soap. Although, I find I'm using it less these days.

There is no top and bottom with a blade. The only thing you need to worry about is if you loaded it evenly on both sides.

Cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Gran Hermano RIP

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057495416

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the post only happened to wander in the Coffee and Tea forum and seen it, I only knew him from posting here and read some great advice from him when I started wet shaving. He'll be missed. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Ryath wrote: »
    Gran Hermano RIP

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the post only happened to wander in the Coffee and Tea forum and seen it, I only knew him from posting here and read some great advice from him when I started wet shaving. He'll be missed. RIP

RIP to the man. He was a knowledgeable and helpful fella on all things shaving.
    When I wandered into this section one day ,he provided great help and advice to get me started on DE shaving.
    My thoughts at this time to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Ryath wrote: »
    Gran Hermano RIP

Very sad news, shocked.

RIP GH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

So saddened to hear this news. What a huge loss to the Boards community. Alan's contributions here and in the coffee forms were immense. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cripes, I had no idea. RIP and condolences to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Very said to hear of Gran Hermano's passing. Certainly puts things into perspective.

On a lighter note, my shaving supplies are running low and I think it's about time I stocked up. I've found the absolute best aftershave balm for my skin in the Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser but I'm looking forward to trying some new preshaves and soaps/creams. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Saw this on e-bay!

MeatChopper_zpsxwbbfp87.jpg

Starting bid: US $1,290.00 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

What a bargain!

I think they have overdone the pinning on the wedge end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jefferytibbs

hitemfrank wrote: »
    What a bargain!

I think they have overdone the pinning on the wedge end though.

haha!

Spotted this Dorko razor in a pharmacy window today, I'd say the scales are getting nice and warped with the weather today :(

IMG_20160421_115758_edit_zpsd5kqjher.jpg

Spotted a nice looking brush peaking out from behind a scales as well, could be a makeup brush though, but I'm not sure. Looks nice anyway.

IMG_20160421_115812_edit_zpsywrzgwpy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

That's a fairly old school looking pharmacy!

Should have made them an offer for the Dorko. I'd wager the brush is an Omega.

• Advertisement

Yeah I might well do, there was a good bit of corrosion on the razor as far as I could see. I don't have the tools to do a restore of that nature unfortunately, I might ask to take a look next time I'm around there, it'd be sweet if there was a nice 7/8 hiding in there. I have found razors in the wild before in an antique shop here but all the ones I found had big chips taken out of them :mad: Also I think the lady working there wanted €40 or 35 for each one which I wasn't willing to pay for a chipped razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

RTÉ Archives - Daily stories from television and radio records

Video: http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0727/805178-73-years-as-a-barber/

---

After 73 years working as a barber 89 year old Alexander Parkes, known as Eric to friends and family, has finally decided to call it a day.

Robert Shortt visits the Waldorf Barbers on Dublin’s Westmoreland Street where Eric is giving his final cut-throat shave to his grandson Ian Parkes, who is getting spruced up before his wedding later that day. While Eric has been in semi-retirement for a number of years, he has faithfully returned to the Waldorf every week to help out its current owners.

Having cut Frank Sinatra’s hair and trimmed Noel Purcell’s beard, Eric also credits himself with the prediction made in the long-haired days of the sixties that short hair would soon be back in fashion.

Reporter Robert Shortt chats to the man himself and proprietor of the Waldorf Barbers Liam Finnegan, before getting the cut throat pamper treatment himself.

An RTÉ News report by Robert Shortt broadcast on 28 July 2001.

4men.ie have free shipping this weekend (until the 2nd). Use discount code 'August' at checkout.

I think this thread may be a better place for these discount codes.

http://readscutlers.com/pictures/

If you scroll down they have some pictures of some old straight razors made in Dublin by Reads Cutlers, there even seems to be some stubtail ones in there which is great to see especially since they were made here in Ireland. Most are in pretty bad condition which is a shame but I thought some of you would still like to check them out.

Advertisement