Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used to be self-employed, need advice!

Options
  • 14-07-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm new to boards.ie, so if this is in the wrong place, sorry! So, back in about 2011 I registered a company, was VAT registered and everything, but long story short, the company failed and I went into full time employment in Northern Ireland. At the time I was very young and naïve (read: stupid and stuck my head in the sand) and didn't do anything to let revenue know. I'm now at the point where I'm living and working in the Republic again, and I've been asked to do some work as an independent contractor. I have been trying to find out who I need to speak to, or where I need to go to sort out everything from my last attempt at self-employment and get set up again as a sole trader. Can anybody offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just call the Revenue and give them all the info. From a self employed pov I always found them extremely helpful even when I had screwed up returns. You're going have to sort it with them at some point may as well get it out the way as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I think you need to see an accountant and get all your outstanding returns up to date.

He/she will need the details of you income and expenditure when you were self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ketogirl

Thank you! I think my main concern is that they're gonna fine me or something! I'll call them asap and just get it all over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ketogirl wrote: »
    Thank you! I think my main concern is that they're gonna fine me or something! I'll call them asap and just get it all over with.

Putting it off longer certainly isn't going to make them less likely to be fined! How bad a situation did you leave it? Were you up to date on taxes paid and then just disappear or is there taxes that weren't paid? If you were paid up but didn't deregister they are going to be a lot more understanding!

Advertisement