Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 pin power supply to 24 pin motherboard?

Options
  • 14-07-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,

New build with Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 and i7-4790 cpu. No graphics card.
    Had a spare case and PSU and decided to use those but went to start build tonight and realise the PSU only has 20-pin connector for power to motherboard.
    PSU is Antec True 380sp

Can I use this psu or should I abandon and buy a newer one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

just buy an adapter it only loops in a negative and 3v,12v, and 5v for extra power that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

levitronix wrote: »
    just buy an adapter it only loops in a negative and 3v,12v, and 5v for extra power that's all

Thanks. Given my setup only has i7 4790, 8gb ram, 2 hard drives, I wonder do I even need the extra power connections? Read several other random threads last night and most suggest to just connect 20 pin power.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

You can get an adapter from Maplin, but if you intend on putting in a graphics card buy a MAJOR BRAND named PSU, like Corsair (My personal choice) or Seasonic (which make the PSUs for Corsair.) Steer well clear of CIT as they have a bad rep for going "POP!"

If you want to google "PSU CALCULATOR", you can find out how much power you will need for the hard ware you have and you can factor in any upgrades you will be planning.

Hope this helps.

The Mad Englishman!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Thanks. I should have updated thread. I had tried Maplins and they didn't have the adapter in stock. Was going to just connect without adapter and before doing so, I tested turning psu on. And it popped!
    So I had to go and buy a corsair instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

The Corsair PSUs are rock solid! I have only had 1 (One) go intermittent on me and the customer service was fantastic! I had a replacement BEFORE the on-line store (Dabs.IE) had finished their RMA process!

Glad you got sorted, have fun with your new hardware.

The Mad Englishman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement