Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode Routing Keys

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How much more logical the routing keys would be if based on the STD codes in the first map. Also more memorable and numeric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

murphaph wrote: »
    That's a real eye opener, thanks, and explains why places like Newcastle, Co. Dublin now have a D22 XXXX Eircode (and thereby will invariably be seen as less desirable). Same goes for Rathcoole (now apparently part of D24 and Portmarnock and Howth, now apparently part of D13. I expect there to be some backlash, especially from Howth/Portmarnock property owners.

It's so crazy there is an ENCLAVE in the An Post delivery areas!! If you look at Lucan (around Fonthill) you'll see that there's an enclave of LN1 totally surrounded by LN2. I strongly suspect this is a result of the time Liam Lawlor meddled with the system to remove lands he had an interest in from D22 an transfer them to Lucan, County Dublin. It seems terribly unfair that property owners in places like Portmarnock, Howth, Newcastle and Rathcoole/Saggart now have to suffer these transfers to what are obviously less desirable Dublin postal districts, while properties that should have been in D22 all along get neutral Eircodes.

These "transfers" aren't new .

Portmarnock , Rathcoole etc have been routed to those offices at a minimum for the last 7 years.

Lucan is now co located with the D22 office sharing staff and facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

SPDUB wrote: »
    These "transfers" aren't new .

Portmarnock , Rathcoole etc have been routed to those offices at a minimum for the last 7 years.

Lucan is now co located with the D22 office sharing staff and facilities
    Interesting. I suspected that post to these areas was being routed through these sorting offices, even though nobody in these areas has ever been told or asked to begin using these postal districts in their addresses.

Who has the authority to create/amend postal districts I wonder? Do An Post have a legal right to just "annex" somewhere like Portmarnock into D13? Could An Post change the boundaries and make D6 bigger at the expense of D4, for example? I would imagine something like that would go down like a lead balloon among the affected property owners.

Interesting about Lucan....so does mail being sent to Lucan go via the D22 sorting office like mail for Newcastle?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Interesting. I suspected that post to these areas was being routed through these sorting offices, even though nobody in these areas has ever been told or asked to begin using these postal districts in their addresses.

Who has the authority to create/amend postal districts I wonder? Do An Post have a legal right to just "annex" somewhere like Portmarnock into D13? Could An Post change the boundaries and make D6 bigger at the expense of D4, for example? I would imagine something like that would go down like a lead balloon among the affected property owners.

Interesting about Lucan....so does mail being sent to Lucan go via the D22 sorting office like mail for Newcastle?

Pretty sure An Post have the power to make you use whatever postal address they seem correct - despite COMREG trying to stop them.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/high-court-rules-post-can-be-delivered-only-to-postal-address-28817426.html

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/ABD72020A7B7504E80257A9B0039E3EF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

alias no.9 wrote: »
    P51 seems to stretch from Kerry (Rathmore) through north Cork to Waterford (Cappoquin) along the Blackwater but is bisected by the M8 corridor at Fermoy which is P61

Assuming the AnPost zones map to the Eircode, this is the map for routing code P51...

355800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Who has the authority to create/amend postal districts I wonder? Do An Post have a legal right to just "annex" somewhere like Portmarnock into D13? Could An Post change the boundaries and make D6 bigger at the expense of D4, for example? I would imagine something like that would go down like a lead balloon among the affected property owners
    Since the postal areas were, surprise, surprise, entirely devised by and for the sole use of the forerunner of An Post, it should be no surprise that they exercise the right to enforce or amend them.
    Now, as we head into the world of demonopolised delivery services, it is appropriate that responsibility is shifted away from a single service provider and introducing Eircode is part of this shift. However, you mustn't break the system while changing the system, as the judge thankfully realised in the above care between Comreg and An Post.
    Apart from all that, it is ludicrously irrational to base the value of a residential property on the detail of how the state's incumbent postal service provider organises its deliveries. An Post or whoever ends up with the authority should have no regard for such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

xper wrote: »
    Apart from all that, it is ludicrously irrational to base the value of a residential property on the detail of how the state's incumbent postal service provider organises its deliveries.

You do realise that this happens the world over? D4, 90210, W8. It's human nature.

Alias no.9's effort above inspired me to throw this together. Easy enough looking at the An Post delivery zones and checking the edges of them. The border between T34 and T56 took a while though as they're together on the delivery zones map. Feel free to flag mistakes.

Map made up from:
    T12 seems to be seven delivery zones in the Cork City south area
    T23 looks like the 3 North Cork City delivery zones together with the Blarney area
    T56 is the Watergrasshill area
    T45 is Carrigtwohill, Glounthaune and Little Island
    T34 is together with T56 on the An Post delivery zones but I managed to make a rough approximation of the border between them by checking a bunch of spots on the maps and working out the delivery routes and what has to be the boundary between them.

eircodesmap_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

As far as I know Lucan still has it's own labels for mail but just that when a driver collects mail from the Dublin Mail Centre it is now the D22 driver but when it reaches the delivery office building it is moved to it's own section of the building

By running it as a co located office An Post has been able to reduce the number of vans and trucks and of course jobs needed then if they were in separate premises

D10/D20 have been co located for a number of years with separate collection points for members of the public coming to pick up their post

I presume Lucan has a separate collection point as well

Cork 'T' eircodes from post above done on Google maps

https://goo.gl/maps/zDCmY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

What would the population of those areas be? Close to 100,000 each probably. Compare with A41 in North County Dublin. Population is 400 households (probably less than 1,000 people). Extraordinary disparity.

ballybog_zpsynplm3ym.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

This thing is gonna be totally cracked inside three months.

They really should have had more than 139 keys though. Something like this should be as granular as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

<removed>

Aimead wrote: »
    I’m much more at home with chan sites and other places where, shall we say, moderation is done with a lighter hand. Boards.ie isn’t the typical place I’d post on, and I’ve been putting effort into holding back the sort of invective that I’d be free to post elsewhere.

But, in this case, I’m going to make a bit of an exception and call you out for peddling a wilful and disingenuous strawman (not the first one either).

Suppose someone gave you the following (making these up):
    T23 UUUU
    T23 VVVV
    T23 WWWW
    T23 XXXX
    T23 YYYY
    T23 ZZZZ

You wouldn’t know where they where with reference to each. Now suppose someone had given me the following:
    BT56 UUU
    BT56 VVV
    BT56 WWW
    BT56 XXX
    BT56 YYY
    BT56 ZZZ

I would now where they where with reference to each other. On visual inspection you can obtain useful information from the postcode that you do not obtain from Eircode. This point isn’t new and has been made multiple times in this thread. So why are you being deliberately disingenuous when the point being made is clear? You know that the routing boundaries are currently not known, and you know that it isn’t possible to tell where within a boundary a given Eircode is on visual inspection. To borrow your own phrase, isn’t a bit pathetic that an old code from the 60’s outperforms the supposedly modern Eircode in this scenario?

To put it simply – if you really believe in the veracity of your defence of Eircode, then why do you continually play dumb as you have done so above?

Think that reply was meant for the "National Postcodes to be introduced" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

xper wrote: »
    Since the postal areas were, surprise, surprise, entirely devised by and for the sole use of the forerunner of An Post, it should be no surprise that they exercise the right to enforce or amend them.
    Now, as we head into the world of demonopolised delivery services, it is appropriate that responsibility is shifted away from a single service provider and introducing Eircode is part of this shift. However, you mustn't break the system while changing the system, as the judge thankfully realised in the above care between Comreg and An Post.
    Apart from all that, it is ludicrously irrational to base the value of a residential property on the detail of how the state's incumbent postal service provider organises its deliveries. An Post or whoever ends up with the authority should have no regard for such nonsense.

If you are not interested in the possible resale value the logical place to buy a property is in a less desirable post code on the border with a desirable one. My home is about 100 metres from a border. When I was bidding for the place I looked at similar properties nearby in order to set a limit, and since I had my heart set on the place I reasoned that if I didn't get it I'd try to get some where similar. All the similar places near by were asking at least 20% more, couldn't understand it until I realised they were in a different post code.

Its nonsense on the one hand but on the other it really does effect the value of a property. You and I may feel we are above postcode snobbery but like it or not the market isn't.

Advertisement